• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Important Reminder: Macy Gray is in the first Spider-Man film for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

usea

The scene at the end is much worse. Spiderman swings around the city for no reason and lands on a flagpole which holds a giant american flag. This was pretty soon after 9/11 and they only added that shit so people would go "fuck yeah, 'murica"

Pissed me off to no end.

http://youtu.be/g5QxUHCKqMU?t=3m46s

Recon

Banned
I'm still pissed we havnt had a great Spider-Man movie. Raimi's films were good at the time, but the cheesiness doesn't age well, at least for me. And while I loved Garfield's portrayal, that film was even dumber than the previous version. Maybe someday...

Liamario

Banned
OP, while I agree with your sentiment, in the particular instance of Macy Gray; there was a parade on and it's not unusual to see musical acts performing. So, why not have Macy Gray there instead of some generic act. She at the very least makes the parade more believeable.

Rayis

I don't know why everyone says she can't sing, she CAN sing (she's not amazing but does have singing talent) she just has a VERY unfortunate ultra raspy singing voice which is not to everyone's taste, I personally like it cuz she's unique and I Try is a good song

usea

OP, while I agree with your sentiment, in the particular instance of Macy Gray; there was a parade on and it's not unusual to see musical acts performing. So, why not have Macy Gray there instead of some generic act. She at the very least makes the parade more believeable.
It's not that she's there, it's that they focus on her and say her name and stuff. Serves no point in the movie other than blatant product placement.

Like, if the main character turns to the camera and says "I sure do love McDonalds" while chomping down on a big mac.

acrid

Banned
At the time of Spider-Man's release, I worked for Cingular Wireless (formerly Bellsouth Mobility, then AT&T, now Verizon). They had this stupid ass little orange"Jack" as their mascot. Cingular paid GOBS of money to have "Jack" featured for about 1.5 seconds in the movie- it's right around the time Macy Gray makes her appearance too. Goblin comes swooping in on his glider and you can see the stupid ass "Jack" in the background.

We had to celebrate this shit for a damn week. It was nauseating. It's real hard to be happy about your corporate mascot appearing in a movie when you hate the company to begin with, and you actually have people calling the cell phone customer service/tech support line to bitch about why the company spent the money to have the mascot appear in the movie.

AuApaKA.jpg

"Oh boy, I get to see another shitty band that takes up almost as much screen time as the actual characters"

I thought Buffy used the bands/music really well. They used songs that fit the episode, and even incorporated the bands into the show ("I hate vampire towns.")

DopeToast

Banned
It is pretty weird, but it seems harmless enough, and doesn't really break up the movie that much. I've honestly never thought much about it until now, and I love the first Spider-Man movie.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
the first Spiderman movie is truly dreadful, but it was a success and made Spiderman 2 a reality, which I couldn't be more thanful for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom