• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-universe character artwork in games

Blu(e)

Dishonored:
385px-Daud_and_the_Parabola_of_the_Lost_Seasons.png

393px-The_Empress_and_the_Empty_Set.png

424px-Black_Eyes.jpg

347px-Lady_Emily.jpg

332px-Maskedmiscreantposter.jpg

503px-Emilycorvofinaldrawing.png

Village

r_shadow.png
r_sonic.png
r_tails.png
r_nuckles.png
r_rugeu.png
r_eggman.png

In sonic adventure 2's chao world you can take your chao to school and teach it to draw, when it gets good enough at drawing, it can draw things, like the characters that took care of it.

And some that aren't so playable
r_tikal.png
r_amy.png
r_big.png

Always loved the mural in Sonic and Knuckles

tumblr_m93gt1jbfj1rq6yljo1_500.jpg

I always thought this was really cool, and I believe that they should have had the series continue in this direction (which they did in the first Sonic Adventure) with stories tying into the Emeralds' origins, themes of natural vs. mechanical, the past vs the future (like Sonic CD), and the like even if they only did it subtly like in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles.

But no, they went with "make tons and tons of characters and forget everything by the next game."

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This is a great topic.

In DKC Returns, there's an image of classic DK in the background, holding a wiimote. He's back in Tropical Freeze:

ovB8oT9.png

He's holding a WiiU gamepad with DK Jr on it

MeaJ8aU.png

NewGame

Banned
This is an interesting case, as this game is a prequel to the Legend of Valkyrie, starring Kurino, player 2 of Valkyrie's most famous game - and Valkyrie herself is a warrior descended from the heavens, giving her a religious connotation the games don't usually focus on much - but here she's depicted in a way reminiscent of ancient religious artwork, which diverges a bit from her actual depiction in the games:

NxCValkyrie.jpg

Aaaah! That crazy costume from Soul Calibur II all makes sense now!!

sc2-valk1.jpg

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Legacy of Kain has many of those.

Blood Omen:
Malek and Vorador in the stained glass at Avernus Cathedral:
Kain_0359.jpg

Soul Reaver:
Melchiah as a vampire:
MelchiahMonument.jpg

Statue of Moebius:
MoebiusStatue2.jpg

Soul Reaver 2:
Kain vs William the Just
legacy-of-kain-mural-kainvswilliam-big.jpg

Vorador again:
SR0000451_.jpg

Janos Audron:
WoW0001142-2.jpg

The Sarafan brothers:
Sarafan-4.jpg

Defiance
Kain's human portrait in his mausoleum
kain_portrait.jpg

Vorador as a human:
Def003497.JPG

Def003496.JPG

Moebius and Mortanius vs the vampires:
Def00623612.JPG

RagnarokX

Wind Waker Hero of Time statue:
Tju1Ogm.png

Phantom Hourglass intro created by Niko depicting the events of Wind Waker:
cBIYQ0x.png

Spirit Tracks intro created by Niko depicting the imprisonment of Maladus:
rUDrMvS.png

Spirit Tracks stained glass window depicting Tetra:
bpcFGgV.png

A Link Between Worlds paintings depicting the events of ALttP:
W9tUIfJ.jpg

IioULdY.jpg

Tx3f9Wy.jpg

Zubz

Banned
pcwfDnH.png

From The Neverhood. Robot Bil as depicted on that huge wall of text.

I like the fact that
when you find him, he's all destroyed and missing pieces; it really helps drive home how old the Hall of Records, and thus the events within, are. Too bad it takes forever just to walk from one end to the other without reading it (10 minutes, yes?) so most people skip over it.

The statues in/around Parfum Palace in Pokemon XY were pretty cool, as were a few of the advertisements in Mario Kart 8, such as the "Mario Motors" ads where a cartoon Mario's carrying tires around on them. I can't find a good picture, but they're in both the new and the retro Mario Circuits.

castle.jpg

MrBadger

I'm also a fan of the mural in Sonic Adventure.
SA1_PerfChaosMural.png

Yeah, I really like this one as well. And then you get to the actual Perfect Chaos and he looks like this

320px-SA1PerfChaos2.PNG

Thank goodness for Generations.

As much as I really prefer Sonic to be storyless, I do miss all that stuff about the echidna tribes and Chaos Emerald lore.

Anyway, one more for the thread - Drawcia's dashing portrait of King Dedede

180px-King_Dedede_Painting.png

Wasn't that supposed to an advertisement for her shrine?

The talismans says something along the lines of "No News Solicitations". Reimu's essentially chasing Aya away with that.

Back on topic, I'm not really too sure if this counts as what the OP meant, but (MAJOR Deadly Premonition spoilers)
York comes across a character portrait of the deceased characters in Harry's Mansion (along with a few others) in red dresses. It isn't until the ending where he and Harry discuss about the portrait.

SoulUnison

Banned
Always loved the mural in Sonic and Knuckles

tumblr_m93gt1jbfj1rq6yljo1_500.jpg

I've been playing this game for 25 years. Sonic 3 + Knuckles is one of the first games I've ever played and probably one of the games I've played the most in my life.

I only *just now* made the connection between Robotnik on the left in the mural and the design of the Big Arm boss from Launch Base zone. I always thought it was just supposed to be a generic mural or vague foreshadowing of the Doomsday Zone.

In the DS version of Kirby superstar the game Revenge of the King had a neat background featuring dedede when you hit pause. Someone on gamefaqs I believe made a wallpaper out of it. I couldn't find it online anymore but had saved it from back then.

Evilisk

The talismans says something along the lines of "No News Solicitations". Reimu's essentially chasing Aya away with that.

Yeah, checking up on it, it's supposed to be an anti-Aya/newspaper tengu talisman. The name of the attack itself is "Talisman, Exorcism of the Newspaper Subscription Solicitors"

Man I completely missed that. Where do you find these pictures?

I only remember seeing Chrono Marle and Lucca at the beach.

In Lucca's house. Near the end of the game, Kid is stuck in a coma in Radius's hideout and an optional sidequest involves getting sent into her past to assist her during her escape from Lucca's burning house.

Top Bottom