• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Dev: Wii U is not much more powerful than a PS Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

MouldyK

xcx04_by_onilink888-d7lxcu2.gif

...the Wii U can do fine.

tumblr_inline_noz7d6PKt71rq0wgw_500.gif

...Outlook Not Good.

Wut?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
He's right.

PS Vita is weaker than PS3 but runs many ports of its games just fine.

Wii U is about same power as PS3.

So, Wii U not that much above Vita...
Vita isn't anywhere near the PS3 in power, I mean it's closer than something like the Wii but its not even comparable, it doesn't run many ports just fine btw

Xenoblade X looks great, but as a result of art style + hidden compromises + optimization tailored to one console. I don't think it's definite proof it's much better than the Vita. It's like saying PS3 is much better than the 360 because of The Last of Us.

The wii u definitely has a much better gpu, but I imagine that its cpu isn't much better, which is what would actually affect indie devs because not many 2d games are going to benefit from more shader cores.

Nairume

Banned
He's coming off like this because this tweet was actually made years ago, and is only just now coming out in a broken form where important things are missing from it.

At least, that's what I've come to assume from anything Nicalis at this point.

Percy

Banned
Well, all evidence shows what a hot portion of horseshit that is, but he can delude himself all he likes.

Bad workman blames his tools and all that.

Wonko_C

The Vita version of Need For Speed Most Wanted is, despite's Criterion efforts, severely compromised. The Wii U version is arguably the best version...

Oooh...kay?

MouldyK

The Vita version of Need For Speed Most Wanted is, despite's Criterion efforts, severely compromised. The Wii U version is arguably the best version...

Oooh...kay?

He actually meant that for 2D Games they ain't that much different...but he never said that because...

@KapnKruncher I appreciate it. In regards to 2Dvs3D, I don't think most players care or understand the difference.

...people don't know that 2D is different than 3D, so he generalized it instead...

Rodin

Xenoblade X looks great, but as a result of art style + hidden compromises + optimization tailored to one console. I don't think it's definite proof it's much better than the Vita. It's like saying PS3 is much better than the 360 because of The Last of Us.

Sure, took the words out of my mouth. Same goes for MK8, 3D World, Zelda U, Bayonetta 2, etc.

Ryoku

People saying that Vita is PS4 2.5, and Wii U is PS3.1, then saying he's right.

Wut?

You people do realize that Vita isn't anywhere near the power of a PS3, right? Or that a PS3 is nowhere near a PS3?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
People saying that Vita is PS4 2.5, and Wii U is PS3.1, then saying he's right.

Wut?

You people do realize that Vita isn't anywhere near the power of a PS3, right? Or that a PS3 is nowhere near a PS3?

Might wanna.....might wanna do some editing there

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I think Nicalis have handed this very badly. First of all you had all the "LOLNintendo!" stuff about Isaac not being released on Nintendo due to religious content, then when the game is finally released, you release it in a buggy fashion, say the DLC isn't coming, then compare the system unflatteringly to the Vita. It's almost like they've stolen a page from EA's playbook. Seriously, why would a Nintendo console owner support them after that?

Producer

He's right.

PS Vita is weaker than PS3 but runs many ports of its games just fine.

Wii U is about same power as PS3.

So, Wii U not that much above Vita...

Vita doesnt run many PS3 ports 'just fine'

Borderlands 2, Revelations 2, SFxT, Ninja Gaiden Sigma ports, etc

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ok, I have one tetris here which would choke both xbone and ps4. My tetris takes a desktop i7 to run at playable framerates. The difference?
It's MonteCarlo raytraced.

I'm still considering twitting about current gen consoles' inability to handle a game of tetris, though. What says you, gaf?

BAW

Banned
That's a factually incorrect statement if I ever read one

There's a gulf of power difference between the Wii U and Vita

I don't even want to bring the flops into discussion, just look at the Assassin's Creed games of both platforms, that will tell you everything you need to know

Nairume

Banned
Ok, I have one tetris here which would choke both xbone and ps4. My tetris takes a desktop i7 to run at playable framerates. The difference?
It's MonteCarlo raytraced.

I'm still considering twitting about current gen consoles' inability to handle a game of tetris, though. What says you, gaf?
The new Ubisoft Tetris runs like shit

Current gen consoles are weaker than the NES

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'm not saying Tyrone's opinion on the Gamepad isn't right. I think most would agree with him.

All I'm saying is Tyrone has always been a little more vocal about Wii U's problems than other eShop developers.

Not sure what the under-utility of the WiiU's GamePad has to do with its ability to run Isaac:Afterbirth.

What kind of engine are they running? Are they fully exploiting the CPU's hefty L2 cache? Taking advantage of the low latency connection between CPU cores and the 32 MB eDRAM?

I can't imagine anything other than the CPU being a bottleneck here.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Lol, trying to hide the indie's name. Nicalis, the best of the best. They actually share 70% of the DNA with Konami, not Kojima.

My biggest kickstarter mistake was not to forfeit my pledge for The 90's Arcade Racer once it was announced that Nicalis took over the (non) publishing of the game.

Also, it is known that all European devices are much weaker than the NA thus the powerful Nicalis engine takes a lot more to optimize on the former.

edit: damn, I was late with the last part like an European localization from Nicalis.

Frodo

Just to be sure, are we talking about the same platforms here?

The mobile one that can't even handle it's own 960x544 resolution a lot of the time and the one that runs Smash Bros in 1080p at 60fps with 8 players on screen?

Obviously there is not much difference in between Vita and Wii U. Obviously.

Oddduck

Not sure what the under-utility of the WiiU's GamePad has to do with its ability to run Isaac:Afterbirth.

He said Nintendo should have spent $100 on something more substantial than the GamePad.

If the man truly believes Wii U is not much more powerful than PS Vita, then he probably believes that Nintendo should have spent $100 on better hardware, rather than a gimmicky controller.

Well, MK8 does have the 59fps duplicate frame issue, so not even the WiiU can play it at 60fps.

It can in multiplayer.

You keep banging on about this. Let's...for the sake of argument.... assume the WiiU is on par with the PS3.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss, by far one of the highest budget games on the entire system, looks significantly worse than Uncharted 1 (a 2007 game). Even Killzone Mercenaries looks far worse than KZ 3 .

Just no.

Herne

Who cares? Pretty much all has been said and done about both consoles. Power (or lack thereof) didn't help either of them.

I honestly don't know how the per-clock performance of Vita's Cortex-A9 compares to the Wii U's CPU. However, in terms of memory and GPU, the Wii U is far superior. The word "CPU" fits nicely within a tweet, so he could have used that to at least not look like a total fool.

I think other releases have proven that both machines are capable enough for impressive 2D games.

btrboyev

I honestly don't know how the per-clock performance of Vita's Cortex-A9 compares to the Wii U's CPU. However, in terms of memory and GPU, the Wii U is far superior. The word "CPU" fits nicely within a tweet, so he could have used that to at least not look like a total fool.

I think other releases have proven that both machines are capable enough for impressive 2D games.

The WiiU cpu would still crush the A9. The Vita's specs really aren't impressive. The iPhone 5 has a better mobile chipset than the vita.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Well, it depends on whether you're talking GPU or CPU.
Even if he was talking CPU, vita's 4x A9 @444MHz is not exactly a match for 3x gekko's @1.24GHz, and that is before we consider the differences in RAM and caches.

Nightbird

That Tweet is still ridiculous and hilarious.

It's one of the rare cases where “lazy dev“ actually applies to the situation.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
What kind of engine are they running? Are they fully exploiting the CPU's hefty L2 cache? Taking advantage of the low latency connection between CPU cores and the 32 MB eDRAM?

I can't imagine anything other than the CPU being a bottleneck here.

Single threaded CPU render on Flash... :p?

Even if he was talking CPU, vita's 4x A9 @444MHz is not exactly a match for 3x gekko's @1.24GHz, and that is before we consider the differences in RAM and caches.

Do we even know if Binding of Isaac uses the Vita's 444MHZ mode ? I don't remember the "Wifi is disabled" message when I played it a few months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom