• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [November] Now Voting - Post 720!

This is a good week when you discover two amazing pixel games in a row. First, Edgar, and now...

Witchmarsh - Kickstater late 2013, early 2014. (PC, Mac, Linux)
tumblr_mvj72lTTY51smtro9o1_r1_1280.png
tumblr_inline_mvv7ozL10Y1rn6c88.png

http://witchmarsh.tumblr.com/
In Witchmarsh, the player creates a team of investigators and leads them into the depths of the Massachusetts swampland to solve a case of mysterious mass kidnappings.
Primarily an RPG with action elements, the goal of this project is to merge the exploration of Metroidvania style games with the in-depth customisation and range of choice you get with Classic RPGs, such as Baldur’s Gate and Neverwinter Nights.
tumblr_inline_mvdvyo1xvG1rn6c88.gif
tumblr_inline_mvhakrBg6Z1rn6c88.gif

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Badass posted but ignores all the allegations. The Blot thickens.

This is a good week when you discover two amazing pixel games in a row. First, Edgar, and now...

Witchmarsh - Kickstater late 2013, early 2014. (PC, Mac, Linux)

tumblr_inline_mvdvyo1xvG1rn6c88.gif
tumblr_inline_mvhakrBg6Z1rn6c88.gif

The first screenshot is so beautiful.

Indeed. Shame on you IndieGAF for giving it the cold shoulder!

JkRo5Y0.gif

j/k, I know the price is a bit steep for an alpha

Personally I didn't ignore it, but there are so many incredible indie games being released that makes it hard choosing what to buy. D:
Funny thing I noticed, I can easily only play indie games and be happy about it because of the variety and quality of genres being released.

Thanks Toma, now I have the obligation to play it.

Full Bore is a great game and worth your time. Like all great puzzle exploring games I find that i get stumped after an hour or so and need to take a break but when i come back i always see what i needed to do to proceed. I tend to get fixed in my thinking though so this is normal for me :)
I had a problem with one section involving a drill, noticed an update which supposedly rebalanced the section but it still took me a couple of attempts to do. The game is easy to play but there are some challenges too.

So far i'm enjoying it greatly. The art and artstyle are charming with lots of character and animation. The music is good. The control method is easy to get used to and the puzzles are well thought out. There are no upgrades or powers, if you can see a gem you can get it but you may need to explore more first.

Toma what have you got me into?

Full Bore is so good and mechanically so simple, it's incredible how you use just two movements to solve all the "puzzles" in the rooms, and the music is so good! Also I never thought a boar could be so cute.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Toma what have you got me into?

Full Bore is so good and mechanically so simple, it's incredible how you use just two movements to solve all the "puzzles" in the rooms, and the music is so good! Also I never thought a boar could be so cute.

Its a textbook example of intricate puzzle/level design through simplicity. Glad you like it too :) As I said, it will end up in my GOTY list somewhere, and not even only the Indie only one.

Saw this on TIGForums:
Neon the Ninja
I'm working on a 2D beat 'em up/platformer with stealth mechanics. You play as a ninja who wears spandex and blends into bright colors instead of shadows. (Because you're just that damn good).
By hand drawing every frame I'm trying to make the game look like an interactive anime.

bzD6Gw8.gif
StealthAttack.gif

So I'm playing Another Perspective. It's good. Not sure how long it is, but I'm enjoying it. Your goal is to gather keys and unlock the door in each level. First mechanic is the ability to swap with a double. The double remains in the place you left it, so you could jump into a gap, swap, and then use your double as a platform. And then another mechanic was just introduced that adds more complexity to the game. Graphics are charming and there's nice little philosophical story told through text, kind of like Braid (I think it was Braid).

Dex - Cyberpunk 2D RPG - ?? (PC, Mac, Linux, Ouya)
36cc9f124c777b143f95222963757a4c_large.jpg

http://www.dex-rpg.com/index_en.php
Explore the dark alleys of Harbor Prime and a host of diverse locations in both physical reality and the wild reaches of cyberspace. Discover the truth behind an enigmatic AI striving to reach the Singularity, a theoretical “event horizon” in which artificial intelligence will surpass human intelligence and all bets about the future will be off. How will you play your part in the story?
On Kickstarter

Naeval

The number of indie games each month is unbelievable... you update the list of released games at the end of the month, isn't it? Because if not you are going to become crazy...

Mobile, Ouya, PC, Digital consoles, web... uff, I suffer with that...

Toma

The number of indie games each month is unbelievable... you update the list of released games at the end of the month, isn't it? Because if not you are going to become crazy...

Mobile, Ouya, PC, Digital consoles, web... uff, I suffer with that...

I make a new list once a month yeah. I noticed quickly that constantly updating this list would be even more madness than it already is. Due to that the new list contains releases of the PAST month instead of "new" releases, though, which frequently leads to some confusions when newcomers stumble upon the threads.

arcanadei

As a relative newbie, no confusion at all. More games than I have time to play and a whole lot of appreciation for all the hard work you folks do in these threads, sure, but confusion? Never.

rybrad

I don't think anyone posted this yet. Tower of Guns will be the next Indie Game Stand deal, highly recommend it, especially for the price. The game was also Greenlit recently so $1+ will (should) get you a Steam key on release.

I don't think anyone posted this yet. Tower of Guns will be the next Indie Game Stand deal, highly recommend it, especially for the price. The game was also Greenlit recently so $1+ will (should) get you a Steam key on release.
Awesome, everyone should pick it up

What's your source?

Coppanuva

I had no idea what this was. I'm in, looks aweso,e

Played some Fakteur, as recommended.

ibruaiGkEFhS2B.gif

It's a paperboy game set over a week (right now, hope there's more in a future version). The pop-out papercraft art style is very appealing, which is why I'm looking forward to Tengami too. There are 2 central mechanics: being able to control the path, and adjusting letters. At first, I didn't realise that you could change paths, thought it was all a linear path so I missed some houses to visit and got told off for missing them :p

iogJnJd8Oa3Wa.gif

The unfolding world reminds me of Bastion, but you're in control of it. Because you can control the path with the WASD keys, you need to remember where those houses also were.

iAkofmroqJEZ4.gif

Second is, you can inexplicably adjust the language or even message in the typo-filled letters (that's so french!) that you'll deliver to one of three houses. So like, you have a lady who's in contact with a reporter from Mexico during some turbulent times. You can either tell her that a nationalist armed group is taking a push (a bit vague) or is taking hostages (shit just got real). There is another house with two brothers, but only one is loved more by the parents in letters and here is where you can shift the favour onto the underdog.

ibug17iKRnLn4m.gif

Might want to play it again, to see how it plays out if I'm more indirect in the messages.

Need to play some more Broforce before I give impressions, but so far really digging the Full Bore kind of burrowing (will need to see if there's a point to it) and American action hero homages.

Toma

Guess I'll follow your template, Toma, and make a PWYW thread for ToG when the next feature comes.

Feel free, worked nicely for me so far. I used it for 10 or so of these threads.

Toma

Played some Fakteur, as recommended.

ibruaiGkEFhS2B.gif

It's a paperboy game set over a week (right now, hope there's more in a future version). The pop-out papercraft art style is very appealing, which is why I'm looking forward to Tengami too. There are 2 central mechanics: being able to control the path, and adjusting letters. At first, I didn't realise that you could change paths, thought it was all a linear path so I missed some houses to visit and got told off for missing them :p

iogJnJd8Oa3Wa.gif

The unfolding world reminds me of Bastion, but you're in control of it. Because you can control the path with the WASD keys, you need to remember where those houses also were.

iAkofmroqJEZ4.gif

Second is, you can inexplicably adjust the language or even message in the typo-filled letters (that's so french!) that you'll deliver to one of three houses. So like, you have a lady who's in contact with a reporter from Mexico during some turbulent times. You can either tell her that a nationalist armed group is taking a push (a bit vague) or is taking hostages (shit just got real). There is another house with two brothers, but only one is loved more by the parents in letters and here is where you can shift the favour onto the underdog.

ibug17iKRnLn4m.gif

Might want to play it again, to see how it plays out if I'm more indirect in the messages.

Need to play some more Broforce before I give impressions, but so far really digging the Full Bore kind of burrowing (will need to see if there's a point to it) and American action hero homages.

Woah, great gifs. :) Thanks Messof!

You can use go under enemies to flank them and get to better positions or just attach bombs underneath to destroy the ground beneath their feet. Or basically make a foxhole to avoid rockets and bullets

Shocked to see that on the game stand this early. It seems like only yesterday when I first became aware of that game. Probably be taking advantage of this for sure.

rybrad

Shocked to see that on the game stand this early. It seems like only yesterday when I first became aware of that game. Probably be taking advantage of this for sure.
I suspect this was probably planned well in advance of the game being Greenlit, with garnering votes being the main attraction. Since Valve has been doing big batches lately this just works out to be great timing for people who need a Steam key before buying.

You can use go under enemies to flank them and get to better positions or just attach bombs underneath to destroy the ground beneath their feet. Or basically make a foxhole to avoid rockets and bullets

Yeah, I did use that flanking strategy. But haven't found any enemies where that is really required yet.

Is it just me, or the bomb character completely useless? I can throw a bomb, OR A HUGE TURKEY BOMB!

Blade
is fucking awesome.

Toma

edit: nvm. Being a nice forum poster today. Not going to get angry at this, nope.

Yeah, I did use that flanking strategy. But haven't found any enemies where that is really required yet.

Is it just me, or the bomb character completely useless? I can throw a bomb, OR A HUGE TURKEY BOMB!

Blade
is fucking awesome.
The regular bomb sticks to surfaces and the turkey bomb distracts enemies.

edit: nvm. Being a nice forum poster today. Not going to get angry at this, nope.

If it was about a certain Porcine indie game sale thread, then there's only so much bumping a bloke can do. You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make it drink...outside of a few sales pitches.

The people who matter saw it, the interested parties saw it. Your mission is complete.

Toma

If it was about a certain Porcine indie game sale thread, then there's only so much bumping a bloke can do. You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make it drink...outside of a few sales pitches.

The people who matter saw it, the interested parties saw it. Your mission is complete.

True, true. Not even disagreeing with him on a fundamental level. It was too much from my side. Although I would have preferred a warning or a ban for myself for the remainder of the deal if the thread can stay open so they might get one or the other more sale from it in case someone else bumps it.

Fake Edit: Hey Evil, banning me instead for the next 48 hours in exchange for opening the thread again? Seems a bit unfair to the devs to pay for my sins, dont you think?

Real Edit: Probably shouldnt discuss moderation though or I will get banned while the thread stays locked :p

Toma

Anyway, going to dive some more into Distant Worlds now. I did some mod collecting and compiling for it last week and will finally try to really dig into it.

Have I mentioned that I cant play games unmodded that have a good modding community? Quite a few people consider that a sacrilege if you dont experience the "normal" experience, but if there is a mod with better textures, more different AI opponents and generally more... stuff, then I cant not use them.

Unless they are bad mods of course, but community feedback is usually pretty spot on.Been looking forward to that for a while now :)

Anyway, going to dive some more into Distant Worlds now. I did some mod collecting and compiling for it last week and will finally try to really dig into it.

Have I mentioned that I cant play games unmodded that have a good modding community? Quite a few people consider that a sacrilege if you dont experience the "normal" experience, but if there is a mod with better textures, more different AI opponents and generally more... stuff, then I cant not use them.

Unless they are bad mods of course, but community feedback is usually pretty spot on.Been looking forward to that for a while now :)

Unmodded hipsters, the worst!

Top Bottom