• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [November] Now Voting - Post 720!

Anyway, going to dive some more into Distant Worlds now. I did some mod collecting and compiling for it last week and will finally try to really dig into it.

Have I mentioned that I cant play games unmodded that have a good modding community? Quite a few people consider that a sacrilege if you dont experience the "normal" experience, but if there is a mod with better textures, more different AI opponents and generally more... stuff, then I cant not use them.

Unless they are bad mods of course, but community feedback is usually pretty spot on.Been looking forward to that for a while now :)

If the game modded can offer better experience than the vanilla I don't see a reason to play it unmoded(?).

So when I asked Stump to approve the ToG dev, I also asked him about making those kinds of threads. His response:
There's nothing wrong with making a thread for a game you like. There's something wrong with doing it with an agenda of making people pay attention when they clearly have no interest by cramming it down their throat. In general, if you're the last reply to a thread, don't bump it unless there's news or an event and event though only do so if you think other people besides you would care about it.

Since there was already interest in the ToG OT, you think it would be okay to make a PWYW thread or should we just stick with the main ToG thread?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
If the game modded can offer better experience than the vanilla I don't see a reason to play it unmoded(?).

Well, the reasoning usually is that you cant know whether its better or worse with the mods if you never play it unmodded, etcetc.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So when I asked Stump to approve the ToG dev, I also asked him about making those kinds of threads. His response:

Since there was already interest in the ToG OT, you think it would be okay to make a PWYW thread or should we just stick with the main ToG thread?

Doing the OT once the sale goes up is probably a catch them all kind of situation. I did that with the original Full Bore thread when it was already on sale initially.

There's something wrong with doing it with an agenda of making people pay attention when they clearly have no interest by cramming it down their throat.

Eh, well since Stump was so kind to passive aggressively elaborate on that... you know my issue with this statement is that every single person in that thread was thankful for me bringing attention to the deal and usually got a few more people to look and/or comment. If the thread gets 5-10 minutes of spotlight during each bump every 6-12 hours, you can hardly say its conclusively because of people having no interest when rarely anyone posts. 99,9% of the forum visitors today probably didnt even see the thread so I tried to bump it through different times of the day to catch a few more people. If I hadnt bumped the thread at all, there'd have been 10-15 less comments by others who only saw it because I was bumping it a few times.

He is still right though about the "dont bump if you are the last person to bump it and if you dont have anything new to post" thing. As I said, my mistake. Someone really could have just told me to stop bumping before locking it if it annoyed them so much, though.

Back on topic: Yeah as I said, I'd just make the ToG OT and put a huge "CURRENT DEAL" mention right at the top.

Well, the reasoning usually is that you cant know whether its better or worse with the mods if you never play it unmodded, etcetc.

If someone try to reasoning with me saying it's a better experience play a Bethesda game unmoded I could cry.

OT: Drei takes ages to load on browsers.

Toma

You know its already getting late (waiting for PS4 All Access to start) when you start up a game and cant properly focus on this:
SPFyxLz.png

and instead start playing around with the background:
LiPTlz2.gif

Parallax scrolling is such a simple concept, yet still so pretty to look at. Pretty, pretty. Actually reminds me of a shmup a friend of mine was working on, where the parallax scrolling was basically the first thing he did in the game. I should ask him how he is doing with that project.

gabbo

Played some Fakteur, <snip>.
I felt quite satisfied with how I played the two brothers story out. The other two... I'll have to go back to it one day and see how they handle the different letters.
Especially the man child character. That was .... different.

I felt quite satisfied with how I played the two brothers story out. The other two... I'll have to go back to it one day and see how they handle the different letters.
Especially the man child character. That was .... different.

I also need to replay to see the different outcomes to the stories. What I got from the man child story
he's a mental patient with not so much time left for him, so I choose to change the letters and kinda comfort him.

I also need to replay to see the different outcomes to the stories. What I got from the man child story
he's a mental patient with not so much time left for him, so I choose to change the letters and kinda comfort him.

That's what I did, especially because
of "...". The ellipses, they say so much!

gabbo

I was
unsure if it was just a mental patient or if he may have also been a predator, given some of the later letters from parents.
Either way, I would like to see how 'happy' plays out since I didn't go that way.

Cross posting from the Steam thread:

I was able to beat Magma Worm in Risk of Rain but the remaining enemies killed me. ;_;
So far I'm enjoying it, the idea that as the time pass harder the game becomes is interesting, I'm digging the enemies visuals and the plethora of items available. I don't have any idea how to unlock the other classes so I may look in a guide if I'm struggling to do it.

The music is incredible good.

One thing that I dislike in Risk of Rain is you needing to use the mouse to navigate through the menus, the mouse isn't used in nothing during the gameplay but for some strange reason I cant use the keyboard or the gamepad in the menu.

The difficult makes so much difference in the game, started a new game in the easiest settings and I reached the 4th stage so far, this kinda reminds me of FTL difficult settings.

I feel so bad that I've pretty much dropped off the edge of the earth regarding these thread, although in my defense that doesn't mean I've stopped playing indie (if perhaps not the newest stuff). Aside from buying the assorted heap of indie games I probably will never have time to play, I've actually played Don't Starve, and loved every second.

It's the Vita, however, the one system that's getting tons of mileage from me, since I have over two hours of commute time to/from work every day. Lots of awesome indie games on it, which I'll start slowly collecting; played the hell out of Spelunky, got Velocity Ultra (which rocks) for free in a dev giveaway, and PS+ EU gets Guacamelee next month. Good stuff!

Oh, I also backed Paradise Lost: First Contact. Aside from looking amazing, it's a Spanish game, I had to! Looking forward to it, FTL Advanced and Starbound.

Toma

Happy birthday Panda :)
Check your PMs.

eot

Banned
Does anyone remember Leaf Me Alone from LD26?
It was pretty good, short and sweet. The devs went ahead and built a bigger game around the same ideas / mechanics. Personally I don't think it's as good, it doesn't flow nearly as well as the LD26 version did, both in the individual levels and the overall structure. I still think people should give it a go, it's a nice little platformer:
http://www.addictinggames.com/action-games/leafmealone-game.jsp

Toma

Does anyone remember Leaf Me Alone from LD26?
It was pretty good, short and sweet. The devs went ahead and built a bigger game around the same ideas / mechanics. Personally I don't think it's as good, it doesn't flow nearly as well as the LD26 version did, both in the individual levels and the overall structure. I still think people should give it a go, it's a nice little platformer:
http://www.addictinggames.com/action-games/leafmealone-game.jsp

I was at first really excited when you wrote that... then I read the rest. Still worth playing if you know the original game?

So I tried Stencyl and Game Maker, still plan to try Construct 2 and Unity and of the two, I like GM more. And I'm very impressive by the diversity of games made in GM: Stealth Bastard, Risk of Rain, Valdis Story, Hotline Miami, Frog Sord, Another Perspective, and more

Also, anyone here have any tips for creating/animating sprites? Been playing around in GM and my little figures look and more like crap

Toma

So I tried Stencyl and Game Maker, still plan to try Construct 2 and Unity and of the two, I like GM more. And I'm very impressive by the diversity of games made in GM: Stealth Bastard, Risk of Rain, Valdis Story, Hotline Miami, Frog Sord, Another Perspective, and more

Also, anyone here have any tips for creating/animating sprites? Been playing around in GM and my little figures look and more like crap

Animation is the hardest part for me, but I'd suggest hopping over to the Indie Dev thread if they have some advice/tutorial to learn some basics :)

Cross-post for Contrast!

Played an hour and a bit, really liking the jazz noir atmosphere. The story seems to be going into a much darker place than I expected. Most of all, I like how open the city is where I can hunt for collectibles that are not just there but show memories or notes that give background to the proceedings and characters.
i0RRD45S2Xn94.gif

You can go into the shadows in most places, and it feels more dynamic than other shadow puzzle games.
ibwYBSdNeZq3XO.gif

My one complaint is the very UE 3 browns that reminded me of the London sections in Alice Madness Returns. Thankfully, there's enough colour and neon in the architecture to offset it.

It's nice to hear Adam Jensen do a less gruff voice to show off his range. Or at least I'm pretty darn sure that's him.

Dawn is a cutie.
iyD4rUfB1CiTl.gif

And I'm a sucker for dashing in games.
ibqSAk14d7PgwP.gif

Toma

It looks very cool but the movement seems a bit strange, maybe it's just me nitpicking.

I'll def. check it out once I have my free PS+ version :) But yeah, I wouldnt be too hot on spending 15 (?) bucks on it atm.

eot

Banned
I was at first really excited when you wrote that... then I read the rest. Still worth playing if you know the original game?

Yeah, it's mostly new stuff. I played it for (I think) about an hour and a half and didn't finish it. Maybe I'm slow though. I'd like to hear what you think of it, it's possible you'll like it more than I did. I didn't think this was bad by any means, I just had a very high opinion of the 'prototype'. It's still cute and the music is fantastic.

allansm

I finished Contrast just now, I enjoyed it, although I think there is a lot of wasted potential in the game. For example, the shadow mechanic (switching from 3d platforming in the real to world to 2D platforming in the shadow world) is a great idea, but it is barely expanded upon and your limited to use it only on predetermined locations. Also, the puzzles through the game are fairly simple and the most complex platforming bits don't even require a smart use of the shadow mechanic. In the good side, the art style and setting are great and there are some clever moments that made me smile, like when you are platforming over the shadows of Didi’s parents while they deliver part of the story. Considering the lack of 3d platformers on PC, I think $15 was worth it, but $10 is a more adequate price in my opinion.

I'm surprised how harsh the reviews have been. Even with the flaws, seeing this game with a 60 on metacritic while Beatbuddy (another flawed platformer, although with deeper flaws then Contrast) gets a 76 is something I can't comprehend.

Anyone else that played Contrast found RPS review of the game too harsh? Although I do agree with some of Alec's complaints, the review makes the game seem terrible, which is not the case at all. I got the impression that he doesn't even like platformers that much.

If anyone is on the fence about buying the game, I suggest reading IGN's review. I agree with everything, even the score. Something not common at all...

I remember this from last month's thread. I don't think we ever got any impressions on it, though. How's the depth of the gameplay? Engaging enough for one player?

It's bad. You might get a kick out of it if you have mates over and like the cartoons it's based off but as a single player game it's slow, super randomly driven and arguably fairly ugly. I can't say this criticism is coming from a deep place because I only played it for about 15-20 minutes, but I got the impression it was kinda like a mash up of Talisman and Mario Party but with probably the worst elements from both which was only more fun with the AIs taking about thirty years to take their turns.

I finished Contrast just now, I enjoyed it, although I think there is a lot of wasted potential in the game. For example, the shadow mechanic (switching from 3d platforming in the real to world to 2D platforming in the shadow world) is a great idea, but it is barely expanded upon and your limited to use it only on predetermined locations.

Don't want to be too much of a Cynical Cindy here, but it sounds pretty damning when the core conceit of this game is barely expanded upon. For me, Contrast will likely be a sales/bundle game.

allansm

Don't want to be too much of a Cynical Cindy here, but it sounds pretty damning when the core conceit of this game is barely expanded upon. For me, Contrast will likely be a sales/bundle game.

Unless you're a fan of platformers like me or you really loved the art style and atmosphere and can't wait to experience the game, waiting for a sale/bundle is the way to go definitely.

daydream

Banned
It's bad. You might get a kick out of it if you have mates over and like the cartoons it's based off but as a single player game it's slow, super randomly driven and arguably fairly ugly. I can't say this criticism is coming from a deep place because I only played it for about 15-20 minutes, but I got the impression it was kinda like a mash up of Talisman and Mario Party but with probably the worst elements from both which was only more fun with the AIs taking about thirty years to take their turns.

Thanks! Kind of expected this tbh.

Sinsem

So I'm one of the guy behind Fakteur, I just want to say that it's a pleasure to see that people enjoy our little experiment (I'm always glad to have feedbacks anyway, even bad ones).

The game is a student project which was almost killed, but we eventually abandonned our vacations to finish it. Short version : I pitched the game back in December 2012, production stopped in May, restart in August for a release the last day of September.
I guess it's good to quickly learn that game developpement can be hellish :)

If you have any questions, or if you want to give feedbacks, i'll be glad to hear them. I learned a lot making the game, but stepping back and doing post mortem is by far one of the most valuable thing i've ever done as a designer. Each game has to be better than the previous one, so better not stop working.

So I'm one of the guy behind Fakteur, I just want to say that it's a pleasure to see that people enjoy our little experiment (I'm always glad to have feedbacks anyway, even bad ones).

The game is a student project which was almost killed, but we eventually abandonned our vacations to finish it. Short version : I pitched the game back in December 2012, production stopped in May, restart in August for a release the last day of September.

If you have any questions, or if you want to give feedbacks, i'll be glad to hear them. I learned a lot making the game, but stepping back and doing post mortem is by far one of the most valuable thing i've ever done as a designer. Each game has to be better than the previous one, so better not stop working.

Welcome!

=====================

Not a game from this month but I played Sentinel the game has a nice presentation "building" the UI in the screen. It's a typical tower defense but you also control the amount of energy used in each one of your defense systems. Other great thing about this game is the music, I not a fan of electronic music, but the genre goes well with that kind of games, and it's nice to see the stage pulsing according the beat of the music.

It's pretty hard and requires a lot of micromanagement to not let the viruses reach the core.

New Freedom Planet trailer. One that isn't just them talking about Kickstarter, and one that features several more stages than that trailer featured, to boot. This game's really coming together quite well.

I know you like your GIFs, so I cut out a few from the video. Oddly, despite the video being 480p, I could only nab a 360p rip, so it's not the best quality. (One of these days I'll get FRAPS and be able to make higher-quality ones...) Regardless:

lilacfortunenightbosso7uaz.gif
caroljadecreek2sxudk.gif
millaskybattalionboss4tuxx.gif

Also have six more; linking those, to save you bandwidth. (You should just watch the trailer, though!)

New Freedom Planet trailer. One that isn't just them talking about Kickstarter, and one that features several more stages than that trailer featured, to boot. This game's really coming together quite well.

I know you like your GIFs, so I cut out a few from the video. Oddly, despite the video being 480p, I could only nab a 360p rip, so it's not the best quality. (One of these days I'll get FRAPS and be able to make higher-quality ones...) Regardless:

lilacfortunenightbosso7uaz.gif
caroljadecreek2sxudk.gif
millaskybattalionboss4tuxx.gif

Also have six more; linking those, to save you bandwidth. (You should just watch the trailer, though!)

Wow!!!! Game is looking great.

Was there plans for more characters or for more in-game weeks? Are there any articles or post-mortems worth reading on your game? Really liked it, if you could tell from the gifs :p

Toma

What game is that?

Distant Worlds, 4X game with some sim aspects and a shit ton of stuff going on. I am still not able to discern whether I consider the game good or not, because I still stumble my way through the menus sometimes to find out how to build a certain thing.

Its very, very, very expensive though, so I cant really recommend it anyway because of the price alone.

gabbo

Was there plans for more characters or for more in-game weeks? Are there any articles or post-mortems worth reading on your game? Really liked it, if you could tell from the gifs :p

I second all this. Anything cut from the game, specific elements/mechanics that you can speak about?

Top Bottom