• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGamerChick: NX more powerful than PS4/XB1, easy to develop for [rumor]

Xenoblade

Has anyone ever said a new console is hard to develop for?

Yes, several developers have gone on record stating that the PS2 was hard to get the most out of it, and likewise with the PS3. There a quote from Gabe Newell stating that coding for the PS3 is a "waste of time"

RexNovis

Banned
Remember hearing the same shit about the Wii U / project cafe.

It was powerful they said. Incredibly easy to port games they said.

Wait and see.

And "best tools ever" immediately sounds like this is just fanboy dribble.

Yep it's called the Nintendo cycle. People seriously never learn. Always amusing to watch it happen over and over.

MK_768

that is why a xb1.5 and ps4.5 exists. nintendo is going all in on their NX platform. i imagine they will have the SCDs too. they also been hinting at going to a more apple like structure. so maybe we will see new nx devices every 2 or 3 years.

hence sony and ms doing the same.

Stop. No.

Astral Dog

I mean we all expect the NX to be around the same level as PS4/ONE, a bit stronger at most. anything else would be suicide even for Nintendo, they learned something with Wii U.

But that really doesnt say anything, or if it will be successful. or if its going to get many third party games, or anything really.

This goes to the "rumors" can.

It just needs 3 to 5 blockbuster games? One of them exclusive?

Like I keep saying, Nintendo fans are in for a world of dissapointment this hoilday if they keep latching on to rumours like this.

It just needs 3 to 5 blockbuster games? One of them exclusive?

Like I keep saying, Nintendo fans are in for a world of dissapointment this hoilday if they keep latching on to rumours like this.

If the system features a more varied library of Nintendo games than the Wii U had + Monster Hunter, I'll be happy.

Everything else I'll buy on my PS4.

Yes, several developers have gone on record stating that the PS2 was hard to get the most out of it, and likewise with the PS3. There a quote from Gabe Newell stating that coding for the PS3 is a "waste of time"

I know people gave the PS3 some rightful criticism, same with the Saturn, but this was all after it was out. I could be wrong, but I think the poster you quoted implied "when has anyone said a console isn't easy to develop for pre-launch" which...is a fair question, but then again..anyone who has the right to speak about your top secret system with any knowledge, probably shouldn't use it to sound negative.

me0wish

NX will come with 4 portable systems that can be played at 1080p, when docked into the console, that power is translated to 4K.

You can buy additional handhelds to add more Ks into the resolution, it's going to be bigger than PC.

Take that PS4K! I also heard that Steam is going to betray Valve and release their games on it, just like the secret deal with ND to steal Uncharted 4.

Astral Dog

Yep it's called the Nintendo cycle. People seriously never learn. Always amusing to watch it happen over and over.
To be fair we would be surprised if its weak again, that is the most obvious mistake.but nobody sane should be expecting "bleeding edge" either.
Wii U was following a different philosophy made for their country.
of course being on par or slightly more powerful is nothing without an aggressive strategy, something to hook up people and aggressive also means cheap price.

that is why a xb1.5 and ps4.5 exists. nintendo is going all in on their NX platform. i imagine they will have the SCDs too. they also been hinting at going to a more apple like structure. so maybe we will see new nx devices every 2 or 3 years.

hence sony and ms doing the same.

jesus no, thats pure rubbish MS/Sony arent releasing those because they are scared of Nintendo lol-

daxy

Someone explain the power stuff to me in terms I can understand. How many GameCubes taped together is this?

I'm pretty sure that part was her opinion.

Her opinion colours the rumour, especially as she lays the WiiUs problems at the feet of power, forgetting it was actually the most powerful console on the market for nearly a year.

If the system features a more varied library of Nintendo games than the Wii U had + Monster Hunter, I'll be happy.

Everything else I'll buy on my PS4.

I have no doubt the NX will have a much better library than the WiiU because as its heart its going to be running nintendos multiplatform OS. This should be a extension of Sonys support for PS4/Vita releases.

Banned
What information would support or disprove this claim
Absolutely nothing. But it's not the first time we've heard it from "insiders" and website reports before.

The power of the device has been rumored to be Xbox One levels to above PS4. XB1 being the minimum is a good thing imo.

Zomba13

I can totally buy it being as powerful as the Xbone and arrive just in time for PS4K and Xbone One Point Two and then still end up being the underpowered platform where it's too much effort to down port games.

Astral Dog

Her opinion colours the rumour, especially as she lays the WiiUs problems at the feet of power, forgetting it was actually the most powerful console on the market for nearly a year.

I have no doubt the NX will have a much better library than the WiiU because as its heart its going to be running nintendos multiplatform OS. This should be a extension of Sonys support for PS4/Vita releases.

That does not matter because the Wii U was barely more powerful than last gen and even 360/PS3 ports were very difficult to optimize for the platform, much less the current systems, power was a huge issue. not that the Wii U didnt have a lot of problems, maybe even bigger like the controller or the name.

Aroll

She just tweeted out that she hasn't heard anyone say the Wii U is hard to dev for, just that it's hard to optimize for, and that there is a big difference between the two: https://twitter.com/IndieGamerChick/status/715006771115331585

From what I recall hearing from several indie studios at least in terms of their time spent with Wii U, developing for it never sounded that difficult, but at times it was hard to optimize a game to run properly - which is likely due to hardware limitations. Don't know enough about the diff to talk more than that.

I can totally buy it being as powerful as the Xbone and arrive just in time for PS4K and Xbone One Point Two and then still end up being the underpowered platform where it's too much effort to down port games.

Pretty much this. NX will be set to release in the weakest position possible. Even if the PS4K and XBO.2 don't gain any traction, there's still an uphill battle to gain any kind of userbase.

Either the price or gimmick has to be amazing this time lol.

suaveric

Of course Nintendo would just catch up to Sony and Xbox just as they're about to release something more powerful. But I think that with the NX being a platform, nothing would be stopping Nintendo from releasing more powerful systems down the road like the PS4k.

I still think the PS4K XB1.5 sentiment around here is getting wildly blown out proportion. People actually think those consoles are gonna be a generation ahead of of PS4/XB1. Alas, the GAF echo chamber can deafening at times.

Head.spawn

I'm not sure why it would be surprising that it could be more powerful than PS4/XBO... they aren't very powerful for starters, and even then, they were released three years ago, a lot has changed since then and we are well aware of what is on the horizon with these consoles (PS4k/XB1.5, new AMD stuff). It would be pretty shitty to fail once, then come three years after the fact and just match or go below what is established.

I still think the PS4K XB1.5 sentiment around here is getting wildly blown out proportion. People actually think those consoles are gonna be a generation ahead of of PS4/XB1. Alas, the GAF echo chamber can deafening at times.

I really don't think that is the general sentiment at all.

Meohsix

Remember hearing the same shit about the Wii U / project cafe.

It was powerful they said. Incredibly easy to port games they said.

Wait and see.

And "best tools ever" immediately sounds like this is just fanboy dribble.

Yep. All the same crap was said about the wiiu before it came out.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Why should this website be regarded as trustworthy?

Looks like just a blog to me.

And "people tell me" things all the time...

Yeah it's getting a little irritating.
Especially since no one can even confirm that it's true.

SalvaPot

The thing about Power is that, if the NX is as powerful or more than the PS4/XB1, then that means third parties could (big emphasis on could) port their multi-platform releases on NX. Also how easy it is to port games to it is a big motivator in if a port to minimize the risks of the game not selling.

I think this gen has still 5 more years of relevancy.

bumpkin

It'd be awesome if Nintendo gave an easy in for folks enrolled in their existing Wii U Developer program, but I'm not holding my breath.

MK_768

Yeah and that they will take off like a new gen. It won't. It's there for the big hardcore gamers who have this absurd desire for the "best" tech. Someone yesterday said that the PS4K would force them to buy it because it would have better graphics. Such a pathetic sentiment.

I like to think of PS4K and XB1.5 as the New 3DS of home consoles lol. It's largely a money grab.

ozfunghi

This has nothing to with the "leak" at hand, but i always felt like releasing your console first when trailing, isn't the best option. People will wait to see what the market leader is doing next, and by the time they release their console, you'll be looking like a fool with half a dozen sales and already branded a failure. Or maybe it's more like, as long as the industry leader doesn't fuck up, it doesn't matter when consoles release, it will remain in the leading position.

Still, I'm a bit worried for Nintendo to release the NX three years after XBOne and PS4 but not being much more powerful. Are the PS4.5 and XBOne2 completely new systems? If not, how long are they supposed to stay on the market?

The more i think about it, Nintendo really needs to go the route of complete crossplay between handheld and console to entice both gamers and developers. A worthwile addition, gamecentric, not a gimmick. It might be their best shot, and it might just be the best thing they ever did. And they're gonna need it.

PS: and have their virtual console library in order, day one. That alone would convince people to get onboard. Enough with spreading VC releases over 5 years, it doesn't work. When i want to play an old game, i want to be able to play it whenever i want from the get go. I don't want to wait again for a game i played in '92 for it to release in 2018.

Top Bottom