• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inkling Boy & Girl are the first black non-Mii characters in Mario Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure the oppressed peoples of the ages are overjoyed that you're fighting amongst yourselves over a squid child in a kart racer.

The fight isn't that. It's the inherent racism that appears whenever something is identified as black. We have several people explaining this, but your soap box has you too high to see the argument. Come on down with the rest of us and see the arguments about black hair and features. What it means to be black. You know, the actual argument.

Izuna

Banned
No one said this was only for black people and excluding other brown minority groups.

LordKasual couldn't even leave the thread in peace, had to ironically drop a few personal attacks on the way out implying y'all are socially inept IRL.

tenor.gif

I've relatively enjoyed maneuvering around other peoples posts and trying to meet in the middle in a few, but that takes the cake because it's like he took 10 pages before deciding to join the conversation.

I didn't know the word black was so damn complicated. Like, the English language is too primitive to explain it.

Nepenthe

If Goku isn't white how are people like combine42 supposed to relate to him?

Man this superhuman alien from outer space who was sent here to destroy Earth but bumped his head, turned into a giant monkey after looking at the moon, stepped on his grandfather, tagged along with a woman scientist searching for seven magical macguffins that summon a wish-granting dragon, dodged bandits, thieves, and wannabe totalitarians, took down an army, studied martial arts under various centenarians, entered martial arts tournaments, saved the world from a demon, married his inadvertent child sweetheart, somehow managed to have a kid without ever kissing said wife, learned he was an alien from his shitty brother who came to destroy Earth, died, ran a million miles down a heavenly snake road, trained with the king of the galaxy, came back to life, fought off more aliens at the cost of his entire body, went to space, killed more aliens, briefly had his body switched, ascended to legend status due to the rage of watching his best friend get murdered, killed a super powerful property shark, barely missed dying on an exploding planet, trained with some random aliens, came back to Earth, met a guy from the future who told him he died from a heart virus like a bitch and gave him medicine to save his life, came down with said heart virus while fighting androids from the army he destroyed in his childhood, recovered and trained in a time dilation chamber with his son to partake in a tournament, sent his son to win the battle, died again, came back to the living plane, tried and failed to stop some folks from summoning the most powerful thing ever, fused with my main rival, got eaten, got released, saw the planet get destroyed, brought it back, trained some more with even more powerful people, fought the most powerful thing ever's final form, won the battle with an attack fueled by every living thing on earth, was found by some gods of destruction, ascended even further to godhood status, went to constantly train with them, helped out the future guy who gave me medicine all those years ago, and am now embroiled in a tournament that includes fighters from every known universe.

Oh wait, he's culturally considered to be a fucking Asian?

Can't relate bro.

Man this superhuman alien from outer space who was sent here to destroy Earth but bumped his head, turned into a giant monkey after looking at the moon, stepped on his grandfather, tagged along with a woman scientist searching for seven magical macguffins that summon a wish-granting dragon, dodged bandits, thieves, and wannabe totalitarians, took down an army, studied martial arts under various centenarians, entered martial arts tournaments, saved the world from a demon, married his inadvertent child sweetheart, somehow managed to have a kid without ever kissing said wife, learned he was an alien from his shitty brother who came to destroy Earth, died, ran a million miles down a heavenly snake road, trained with the king of the galaxy, came back to life, fought off more aliens at the cost of his entire body, went to space, killed more aliens, briefly had his body switched, ascended to legend status due to the rage of watching his best friend get murdered, killed a super powerful property shark, barely missed dying on an exploding planet, trained with some random aliens, came back to Earth, met a guy from the future who told him he died from a heart virus like a bitch and gave him medicine to save his life, came down with said heart virus while fighting androids from the army he destroyed in his childhood, recovered and trained in a time dilation chamber with his son to partake in a tournament, sent his son to win the battle, died again, came back to the living plane, tried and failed to stop some folks from summoning the most powerful thing ever, fused with my main rival, got eaten, got released, saw the planet get destroyed, brought it back, trained some more with even more powerful people, fought the most powerful thing ever's final form, won the battle with an attack fueled by every living thing on earth, was found by some gods of destruction, ascended even further to godhood status, went to constantly train with them, helped out the future guy who gave me medicine all those years ago, and am now embroiled in a tournament that includes fighters from every known universe.

Oh wait, he's culturally considered to be a fucking Asian?

Can't relate bro.

But that preceding story was all about manifest destiny

Goku is Europe, his sweetheart are the natives and the rest is history. Eventually Western culture assimilates everything good about other cultures and surpasses everyone and everything. Tada

I'm sure the oppressed peoples of the ages are overjoyed that you're fighting amongst yourselves over a squid child in a kart racer.
Nobody is fighting over it tho. It's a discussion. The only idiots fighting are those that go "lol this is stupid you're all stupid" like.

Hmm.

Tip of my tongue.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Really I'm just happy Nintendo's learning.

Hopefully there's more customisation options in their multiplayer games in the future.

Yeah hope so too. I mean they already have mii's as avatars which are reasonably diverse. Hopefully as they push more towards new IP's after Splattons success it'll give them room in the creation of characters and avatars of this nature.

Kebiinu

Banned
If you're coming into this topic to tell everyone that it doesn't matter, and these are fictional characters. You missed the point, this topic is not for you, don't post.

Tbh.

This is where identity politics gets you to, people of different races arguing over who is the closest to a fictional squid child.

Ah, centrists. Never need to have a position. Love being in the middle, don't have to stand for or defend anything they say. Just drop their hot takes and snicker away on a moral high horse.

boogie2988_middle_by_digi_matrix-db3h3ud.gif

lgbt folk, poc and women in any thread: here's why representation matters, along with a touching story of how it personally affected me

straight white dudes: ummmm actually here's why representation DOESN'T matter to me, the "defautl" in most forms of media

Nepenthe

Billy Pilgrim is one of those people who thinks that people being upset at undue racism towards those who identify with an inoffensive squid character is divisive and harmful identity politics, but the actual destructive racism coming from the Trump administration and his deplorable sect of followers was just the inevitable cry of an ignored people and a lesson to learn for those who wanted to stand against them.

Pay him no mind.

Chindogg

Ah, centrists. Never need to have a position. Love being in the middle, don't have to stand for or defend anything they say. Just drop their hot takes and snicker away on a moral high horse.

boogie2988_middle_by_digi_matrix-db3h3ud.gif

While I agree with you, you do understand that they're the majority of the country right?

lgbt folk, poc and women in any thread: here's why representation matters, along with a touching story of how it personally affected me

straight white dudes: ummmm actually here's why representation DOESN'T matter to me, the "defautl" in most forms of media

To be fair, the most vocal people in this thread aren't white.

Normally you'd be right but it'd be nice to not be the default ignorant asshole based on my identity once in a while.

Billy Pilgrim is one of those people who thinks that people being upset at undue racism towards those who identify with an inoffensive squid character is divisive and harmful identity politics, but the actual destructive racism coming from the Trump administration and his deplorable sect of followers was just the inevitable cry of an ignored people and a lesson to learn for those who wanted to stand against them.

Pay him no mind.

Yeah, I've said none of that. I just think you're all dumb for arguing over how black the squid children are exactly, I have no quarrel with them being included. It's the pot shots at other races that are farcical.

Nepenthe

Yeah, I've said none of that. I just think you're all dumb for arguing over how black the squid children are exactly, I have no quarrel with them being included. It's the pot shots at other races that are farcical.

Go back to telling black liberals that they need Trump voters please.

Izuna

Banned

Most of us don't want to have this conversation, that's the point. The shocking thing is that "how" black they are is even brought up. Whether or not they are because of they don't show "afro attributes" is the argument.

Why can't it just be, "that's cool Ninty, a black girl. Thumbs up"?

People really need this girl to not be black to get on with their lives, and I'm sorry but that's an opinion I can't let slide without querying.

Daouzin

I can't believe that is a legitimate post, that has to be a troll. Tell me it's a troll.

Didn't realize what had become of this thread when I posted this. My tab hadn't reloaded.
Can we get back to that poster Sizu Sizu, Jesus Christ, I feel like they are the standard level of crazy we expect in a race related thread.

Yup. Reminds me of like 90% of libertarians I've met.

Pay him no mind.

Bolded the biggest take away.

NEO0MJ

Yeah hope so too. I mean they already have mii's as avatars which are reasonably diverse. Hopefully as they push more towards new IP's after Splattons success it'll give them room in the creation of characters and avatars of this nature.

ARMS is our current look into that. There was also Codename STEAM which had a pretty diverse cast but the game itself was rather weak.

Kebiinu

Banned

Where are the pot shots at other races? You mean white people? Do you feel oppressed?

Daouzin

Can we just agree that the squids are alt black and be done with it?

Can we just agree that they are an inclusive choice for PoC.

Awesome characters for Black children and children of other races to identify with.

I specify Black because that offends the worst people in this thread and as such they deserve to be offended.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
ARMS is our current look into that. There was also Codename STEAM which had a pretty diverse cast but the game itself was rather weak.
I thought the game was pretty good, just had a really niche art style and sold terribly

Sianos

"haha look at you foolish neogaffers debating the ethnicity of these squid people like foolish fools

when obviously they're just tanned white squid people, duh"

akira28

Lol no. Just no. This is where society gets you after hundreds of years of slavery, ethnicity​ based laws and white superiority being made natural law

CalamityRacism

and the corruption is worldwide.

the centrist is a political construct of necessity. There's probably no such thing as a real centrist, just people who fall on a certain spectrum of compromises. but what the "centrist" doesn't usually take into account is that certain compromises land you plainly on one side or another. It's not as safe as they think.

or simplified: sometimes taking no position is taking a position.

Cynar

Are some of them Asian? I've been told on GAF that anime characters are generally Japanese unless stated otherwise; I'm guessing that logic extends to video game characters as well

Edit: To clarify, was responding to the OP saying the entire cast being almost all white, not just the Inklings
Not to American gamers. Everyone is white American to them.

Where are the pot shots at other races? You mean white people? Do you feel oppressed?

You've got people having a go at dominicans, cambodians, the japanese, all sorts in here. It's pathetic. The characters are obviously supposed to be broadly representative in order to be inclusive, and instead the Identity Politics brigade are in here policing who can and can't be represented. By Squid Children.

You've got people having a go at dominicans, cambodians, the japanese, all sorts in here. It's pathetic. The characters are obviously supposed to be broadly representative in order to be inclusive, and instead the Identity Politics brigade are in here policing who can and can't be represented. By Squid Children.

They are? No one said none of them are represented. Again, you're missing the argument because you have a narrow definition of what black is. Then you throw in buzzwords to try to sound educated on a topic that you clearly have no grasp of.

Enzom21

Stop bullshitting and post links to these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom