• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread April 2013: Now with GAF Gold IAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'll add an April Fools warning to the GAF GOLD/Star Command post later. ;)

That said, their release candidate build is currently out with testers. Barring any major issues they should submit to Apple this/next week. :)

Asking this for my girlfriend: What are a few of the better Animal Crossing-like iOS games? :)

It's not out yet but I'd keep Castaway Paradise on my rader for this, from Stolen Couch Games: http://stolencouchgames.com/

Seeing Star Command in the OP made me decide to look at the original kickstarter.

When is Star Command coming out?
We're currently shooting for a Holiday 2011 release. But the game is rather large - so the ultimate rule is when its awesome, it will be out.

I guess they missed that date by a little bit.

svegis

Just got my iPad today and I'm already having a blast! Nimble Quest is awesome! Takes a simple formula built with the original 'Snake' game and makes it better! So much fun and free! Can't beat that!

Welcome to the party! If you want, feel free to hang around this thread for words on which games to look for and which to look out for. If you want to look for previous games from the makers of NimbleQuest go search for Nimblebit in the App Store!

Tobor

Does nothing in nimblequest carry over between lives? Every time I lose I have to go back to the first level?

Everything you upgrade carries over. As you level up the guys, they get nice stat bonuses that are permanent. All your shop upgrades are permanent as well. The point is to keep trying again to gain more experience and money.

LevelNth

Banned
Just want to throw out a recommendation for Sonic Jump. I'm a huge Sonic fan, and this is a great use of the character in a non-run fast type of game. Only 0.99 too.

I would love this art style, in a 2D endless runner.

Still can't stop playing nameless: the hackers. Fun little indie rpg themed around hacking, luminati, world in danger etc.

Has an addicting random card system (game has no iap of any sort!), and pretty fun (and cleavagey) characters.

Think it was made by a gaffer or a friend or something, $2, check it out.

PittaGAF

Does nothing in nimblequest carry over between lives? Every time I lose I have to go back to the first level?

Well, everything you upgrade carries over (beware, it doesn't sync between devices).
Kills count to upgrade your main character.
If you pay one token to continue, you mantain the eventual 'buffs' you bought too...this is valid till you go back to the first level.
After a while, you will upgrade everything upgradable BAR the 2nd and 3rd tier of each characters...then you will have to decide who upgrade first.

Personally I went first for Uther, Gizmo and Arcane.

Also...don't be shy to spend 1 token and give a go to the Arena for each event...the payoff is always favorable by a great margin (I got 40 and 60 tokens for just trying).

Also, I noticed that the more tokens you spend, the more tokens you get playing normally.
I got even 5-6 in the same (later) levels after buffing up the party.

Owen over at Pocket Tactics posted that iOOTP 2013 will be out on the appstore Wed. night. It's definitely a niche product (baseball sports simulation), but it's pretty much untouchable on both the PC and iOS.

Vyer

Owen over at Pocket Tactics posted that iOOTP 2013 will be out on the appstore Wed. night. It's definitely a niche product (baseball sports simulation), but it's pretty much untouchable on both the PC and iOS.

Awesome. Baseball is my least favorite of the 'big' sports here in the US but for some reason I get crazy addicted to the OOTP sim.

Would love a baseball management sim game with some kind of production value :p

Oddly enough, having played baseball in highschool, i'm pretty awful at most baseball games. Maybe when oculus rift comes to a bball game i'd make more sense in my head :X

Pastry

Banned
Nimblequest question. When you upgrade your characters do they always have those upgrades even when they're not your main? For example if all of my characters have one star will they have those benefits when I pick them up randomly for my snake?

PFD

Nimblequest question. When you upgrade your characters do they always have those upgrades even when they're not your main? For example if all of my characters have one star will they have those benefits when I pick them up randomly for my snake?

Yes.

ToxicAdam

Baseball Sims are like cocaine. The first time is incredible and then every time after that is not quite the same.

I must have spent 100 hours playing Baseball Mogul 1999. But could never recapture that same addiction every time I pick one up.

I need GAF's help. I want a game that would kind of play like the current Sim City. Something that would allow me and my wife to have some co-op to reach goals while also having city building single player content. Low to no pressure kind of game. So far she has loved Bookworm and Plants vs. Zombies for her iPhone.

TL;DR
Looking for game suggestions for low key co-op.

I need GAF's help. I want a game that would kind of play like the current Sim City. Something that would allow me and my wife to have some co-op to reach goals while also having city building single player content. Low to no pressure kind of game. So far she has loved Bookworm and Plants vs. Zombies for her iPhone.

TL;DR
Looking for game suggestions for low key co-op.

space team

Happy street?

Not entirely sure what ya mean by slow. Can the wife play console style games?
Happy Street does look like the style of game I'm looking for. She can and has played console games. I'm just looking for an experince that's particular to mobile devises. Like Two Player tiny tower kind of stuff.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Man, I feel so bad for the devs of Little Inferno right now.

So their game has been iPad only since release. However they've just made a version for iPhone 5/iPod 5/iPhone 4S only. Since Apple doesn't allow devs to restrict 4G users from buying an incompatible game, they've put a large warning in the description. They also made the Little Inferno iPad version iPhone 5/iPod 5 compatible so that previous owners wouldn't have to buy a separate version for their other devices.

Well, a TON of people who didn't read the warning bought the game, saw that it didn't work on their device, and has left dozens of bad reviews for the pocket edition. Not only that, but Apple mistakenly featured the HD version on their front page of the App Store for iPhone users...which didn't have a warning for 4G users, and thus dragged down the rating of the five star app down to 3.5 stars and going lower. All because they wanted to do something nice for previous app owners.

Really glad I didn't do a Cook, Serve, Delicious release for 5G owners only. It looks like a complete disaster. I hope the devs come out of this ok. :(

Wait theee's a Groove Coaster sequel?! :O
Wait what?!
I thought it was just the original game repackaged as a freemium app? I could be wrong though

Kind of both; Groove Coaster Zero has a different set of unlockable songs and significantly more songs available for purchase, but the hook is that you have to be online to download songs you haven't played before (even the ones you earn for free). It gives you a bunch of songs to start with if the original Groove Coaster is installed too.

There's also the matter of there being a -lot- of J-Pop covers that are only available if you connect to the in-game store from a Japanese IP... compare the JP list to the EN list.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Man, I feel so bad for the devs of Little Inferno right now.

So their game has been iPad only since release. However they've just made a version for iPhone 5/iPod 5/iPhone 4S only. Since Apple doesn't allow devs to restrict 4G users from buying an incompatible game, they've put a large warning in the description. They also made the Little Inferno iPad version iPhone 5/iPod 5 compatible so that previous owners wouldn't have to buy a separate version for their other devices.

Well, a TON of people who didn't read the warning bought the game, saw that it didn't work on their device, and has left dozens of bad reviews for the pocket edition. Not only that, but Apple mistakenly featured the HD version on their front page of the App Store for iPhone users...which didn't have a warning for 4G users, and thus dragged down the rating of the five star app down to 3.5 stars and going lower. All because they wanted to do something nice for previous app owners.

Really glad I didn't do a Cook, Serve, Delicious release for 5G owners only. It looks like a complete disaster. I hope the devs come out of this ok. :(

Well, I think it's pretty crazy to release something without 4g support. Maybe in a couple of years.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
In many ways it's impossible without a severe dip in quality, if then.

I guess it's a trade-off between doing hard optimisations (and dropping the quality of the game), or doing what they did and try to limit the compatible devices. It will be interesting to see if they think it was worth it in the end.

Of course, the easiest way would be if Apple let you restrict releases.

I guess it's a trade-off between doing hard optimisations (and dropping the quality of the game), or doing what they did and try to limit the compatible devices. It will be interesting to see if they think it was worth it in the end.

Of course, the easiest way would be if Apple let you restrict releases.

Theatrhythm ended up just nerfing the graphics severely for people who played it on hardware below the 4S. I suppose that's favorable to the app simply not working at all as long as Apple is dumb about forcing apps to support every hardware level in existence.

Pastry

Banned
From 9th place to 3rd in the arena for #NEOGAF. Starting to really get the hang of Nimblequest. Have all of my characters so far up to 1 star and about to get two to 2 stars. Honestly I prefer this game to Nimble's other offerings. Not sure how long I'll stick with it but for now it is super addicting.

Theatrhythm ended up just nerfing the graphics severely for people who played it on hardware below the 4S. I suppose that's favorable to the app simply not working at all as long as Apple is dumb about forcing apps to support every hardware level in existence.

Problem is it still lags on a 4 :| going to need to be a break at some stage.

So after getting no acknowledgement in the thread dedicated to Ridiculous Fishing, I'll ask here. Is there a way to play my own music while playing Ridiculous Fishing.

NeonGames_Kevin

Neo Member
Solitaire Vs. Blackjack: http://appstore.com/NeonRun21

Wasn't sure if this was the appropriate thread to post in as I've only lurk on NeoGAF and didn't have an account approved until January.

I left the Xbox360/PS3 industry last year ( Was the Lead Network programmer of Hunted: The Demon's Forge at inXile and left before the kickstarters saved the company ). I started working on an iOS game that would be a friendly 3D solitaire / blackjack hybrid game with cartoon dealers in a non-gambling atmosphere. I just got my big patch approved today, and will have to figure out how to monazite it eventually but for now it's a free game.

Screenshots:
mzl.qpkyjecv.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.lzumvgqy.480x480-75.jpg

If any of you enjoy it or hate it, I'd like to hear about it. It's a universal App and should run on pretty much any iOS device from 3GS on up.

Megasoum

Banned
Version 1.2 of "Space Agency" came out today. Lots of cool new stuff

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/space-agency/id542397575?mt=8

For some reason I can't get the vehicles to stick after a retry... not sure if I'm supposed to do something special for it to work.

The IAP are also greyed out for some reason...that's weird.

So, anybody has any ideas of what might be causing that (other than an actual game bug?). Is there any settings on the ipad that could affect that? Especially the fact that the vehicles don't save after hitting retry like it's supposed too is really annoying.

Edit: Wait...nvm..it just started working suddenly lol. Yay

Pastry

Banned
Solitaire Vs. Blackjack: http://appstore.com/NeonRun21

Wasn't sure if this was the appropriate thread to post in as I've only lurk on NeoGAF and didn't have an account approved until January.

I left the Xbox360/PS3 industry last year ( Was the Lead Network programmer of Hunted: The Demon's Forge at inXile and left before the kickstarters saved the company ). I started working on an iOS game that would be a friendly 3D solitaire / blackjack hybrid game with cartoon dealers in a non-gambling atmosphere. I just got my big patch approved today, and will have to figure out how to monazite it eventually but for now it's a free game.

Screenshots:
mzl.qpkyjecv.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.lzumvgqy.480x480-75.jpg

If any of you enjoy it or hate it, I'd like to hear about it. It's a universal App and should run on pretty much any iOS device from 3GS on up.

I'll give it a shot sometime this week and post some impressions. Is there a reason you delayed monetization?

NeonGames_Kevin

Neo Member
I'll give it a shot sometime this week and post some impressions. Is there a reason you delayed monetization?

Yes. I have developed console games for a decade so when I started development of this app, Free to Play wasn't really a thing yet in the App Store so I wanted to make a premium game at $5 and then port it to live arcade, wii, and psn. Basically I was used to making complete games and not doing any types of micro-transactions. After I left inXile, the market changed and 70% of purchased came from Free to Play Apps. I stuck to my guns, but noone was really purchasing the game until I made it free. From there I decided to add some more content, and would then come up with a collectable card game add-on to the game that still allows people to play without in app purchase, but offers additional things to collect and change the gameplay experience.

In the end, I probably should have adjusted the whole game earlier if it were moving over to the free market, but I looked down on facebook games and the like and it caused me to make some poor business decisions in how I'd market the game. Now that I think I have an idea on how to get people to discover the game, and have a way of having them purchase things without resorting to "energy, referrals" or other skinner box techniques, I think I can keep the integrity of the game while supporting the costs of my employees that I hired.

PFD

So after getting no acknowledgement in the thread dedicated to Ridiculous Fishing, I'll ask here. Is there a way to play my own music while playing Ridiculous Fishing.

Not really. You can force your music to play temporarily by double tapping the home button and clicking play, but the game music will be back once the track changes (menu switch, catch a fish, etc.)

I have this same problem with super hexagon. There's no way to mute the damn thing and play my own music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom