• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread April 2013: Now with GAF Gold IAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
So Badlands is an endless runner right? The gameplay video I'm watching is looking like that but wasn't sure.

Edit: By endless runner I mean that the camera is moving non stop and you have to keep up.

I'm tempted to get FFV, but 16 bucks seems pretty steep for an iOS game. Any GAF impressions?
Visuals are pretty shitty. Updated monster art looks good though and controls are pretty good.

And it's still pretty much ff5. Other alternative is used gba cart for about $20.

muddream

Banned
So Badlands is an endless runner right? The gameplay video I'm watching is looking like that but wasn't sure.

Edit: By endless runner I mean that the camera is moving non stop and you have to keep up.

It's not endless, tho. My fav game since Jungle Run which isn't really surprising.

x-Lundz-x

Visuals are pretty shitty. Updated monster art looks good though and controls are pretty good.

And it's still pretty much ff5. Other alternative is used gba cart for about $20.

I never played it so it will be new to me. Thanks for the input, I'll just have t think about it some more.

Booter

picked up badland, the other brothers, duke nukem 2, space agency, slayin, monster flip, run sheldon, lumi, rise of blobs, and fester mudd. thanks gafios!

edit: duke nukem 2 is one of those AWFUL STUPID HORRIBLE games that play sound even if your device is set to mute.

edit2: it even plays at FULL VOLUME if your device is set to mute *AND* device volume set as low as possible. really?

Draft

I just got an ipad for my bday (thanks, honey.)

Are there any good turn based strategy games like Xcom, Fire Emblem, FF: Tactics, Heroes of Might and Magic, etc? I Know that Space Hulk game is coming soon. Seems like the perfect platform for kicking back and issuing move and attack commands at a liesurly pace.

Double D

I have become completely hooked on iOS point and click adventure games. Year Walk actually created this monster. Then I remembered you guys talking about The Silent Age, so I played through that. I've just completed Broken Sword 1 and 2 (played both games for the first time back to back).

I guess I'll go get Beneath a Steel Sky. Kind of a bummer that there isn't an iPad version, but whatever. That was a huge draw with the Broken Sword games, though. Play the iPhone version during the day on work breaks, then the iPad version at night.

Anyways I guess I'm looking for recommendations. The way I've been plowing through these games I'll be done with Beneath a Steel Sky by the end of this weekend, and I'd like to keep this adventure train rolling.

Just scrolled through the past iOS threads and noticed Groove Coaster Zero never got mentioned at all in any of the first posts (it was released in November). No wonder people here were surprised about it being out! IMO, it's a good time to highlight it because of all the content being pushed out for it - presumably a side effect of Taito licensing new songs for the arcade version.

Are there any good turn based strategy games like Xcom, Fire Emblem, FF: Tactics, Heroes of Might and Magic, etc? I Know that Space Hulk game is coming soon. Seems like the perfect platform for kicking back and issuing move and attack commands at a liesurly pace.

You would think there would be a buttload of them right? But sadly no. Hunters Episode 2 is your best bet.

Fjordson

I have become completely hooked on iOS point and click adventure games. Year Walk actually created this monster. Then I remembered you guys talking about The Silent Age, so I played through that. I've just completed Broken Sword 1 and 2 (played both games for the first time back to back).

I guess I'll go get Beneath a Steel Sky. Kind of a bummer that there isn't an iPad version, but whatever. That was a huge draw with the Broken Sword games, though. Play the iPhone version during the day on work breaks, then the iPad version at night.

Anyways I guess I'm looking for recommendations. The way I've been plowing through these games I'll be done with Beneath a Steel Sky by the end of this weekend, and I'd like to keep this adventure train rolling.
I'm hearing good things about Festet Mudd. First episode is 66% off right now, only 99 cents.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Previously mentioned Hunters 2, then Warhammer Quest later this month (same dev) and then XCOM coming this summer (June/July).

might spooge out on an ipad mini now that i got a fulltime job with good pay. What are the must have ipad exclusive games of recent, including universal games that are better suited on a bigger screen?

I know if I get a mini now I'll probably sell it later when the 2nd gen is out, but any games that the mini struggles with?

might spooge out on an ipad mini now that i got a fulltime job with good pay. What are the must have ipad exclusive games of recent, including universal games that are better suited on a bigger screen?

That sounds horrid.

In terms of games, The Room & Year Walk are definitely the first two games I'd recommend. In my experience nothing else matches them in terms of leveraging the device itself.

PittaGAF

Your best bet right now are Hunters 2 and Ravensmark.
This month should (hopefully) see Warhammer Quest (Hunters 2 devs).
In summer will be out X-Com (the recent one).
In Autumn we should see Space Hulk.
Don't know if it's your thing, but Frozen Synapse is imminent too.
That's it for the big names right now...there are others (lower profile) games, not necessarily bad but check those first.

EDIT: beaten already.

KingKong

yeah, seems like the challenge is getting through the environment quickly enough

also wtf were they thinking with Other Brothers? floating dpad is insane, maybe I'll wait for an update

That sounds horrid.

In terms of games, The Room & Year Walk are definitely the first two games I'd recommend. In my experience nothing else matches them in terms of leveraging the device itself.

year walk hmmm... but yeah the room is like the first game i've played that I was like 'this would be way better on a bigger screen'.

Now that i've jailbroken my iphone and can use it as a 'free hotspot', any reason for one to get a 3g ipad?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Badland looks like LocoRoco with nightmares. Practically every gameplay dynamic from LocoRoco is there, except you seem to be able to fly here when you're not too heavy? it seems to play well though, and it certainly looks great.

Heel

The Other Brothers dev discussing the controls, next update etc. on Touch Arcade:

The controls, I must defend them now, are actually incredibly good. But they are different from other games and so people may need to get used to them (ie not lift your finger off it).

But we will be adding sticky controls which are not analogue in the next update along with some more goodies and a price hike.

Some of the features you will get in the next update (and we're using one of our precious tech support tickets to push the update to you sooner):

- iCade (although that will depend on how fast they deliver the device)
- Scale your controls!
- Fixed non moving dpad with optional analogue or digital feedback.

I do hope you will all still get the game today though because I really am pushing hard to get this to you guys in record time. I listen to every bit of feedback (but pm me if you want to go in depth as I do not want to get in the way of peoples discussions) and I hope that you will all still give it a good go - just remember, that the dpad can be rocked with your thumb as if it were a physical device (same with buttons if you need to press both with just your thumb)

Then another update with many more achievements (for example you can rocket jump off explosions but this is hard to do - so it deserves an achievement!)

Then another episode packed full of great content

The lesson I learned here was that people really love new things including new control ideas and options to try and innovate - but not at the expense of providing a classic fallback. Thank you for your patience everyone, and for those undecided - give it a try and let me know

PS. you can try pop culture hunting - enemies will often talk to each other or just say things if you hunt them. They also have a large amount of different things they'll say if hurt, killed or otherwise attacking you. There are almost 200 different pop culture references in the game from what they all say alone... Perhaps we could make it an achievement to have heard them all

KingKong

No they're not incredibly good...

Don't see the benefit of not lifting your finger when challenging games like League of Evil can use standard controls and work perfectly

Foob

i don't understand why so many people are having issues with the d-pad on the other brothers

i guess i don't play too many iOS games with cruddy on-screen controls that I've had to grow accustomed to, so this really clicks with me

SeanR1221

i don't understand why so many people are having issues with the d-pad on the other brothers

i guess i don't play too many iOS games with cruddy on-screen controls that I've had to grow accustomed to, so this really clicks with me

I'm usually pretty flexible with on screen controls. I even beat early gameloft games. But Other Brothers straight up sucks.

wrowa

No they're not incredibly good...

Don't see the benefit of not lifting your finger when challenging games like League of Evil can use standard controls and work perfectly

Not having played the game, it sounds like they are using a rather normal "floating stick"? I like that they are calling "different from other games" then. It's not different, it's being used by thousands of games, it's quite simply just not good.

There is just too much friction on the screen when I can't lift my finger.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Not having played the game, it sounds like they are using a rather normal "floating stick"? I like that they are calling "different from other games" then. It's not different, it's being used by thousands of games, it's quite simply just not good.

There is just too much friction on the screen when I can't lift my finger.

It's not just a "normal floating stick", it's an abomination of a "floating dpad" (diagonal movement is haphazard at best), ponder the difference of that and think again. :p

I admit their suggestion of don't lift your thumb, just wiggle it like its a real button works better than moving your thumb about, but it's still awkward.

soldat7

Ravenmark!!!!

And the latest version of Battle for Wesnoth is really good (iWesnoth)

Rekwest

I hate when i read something like this:

**ATTENTION: Works with iPad 2 and up, and iPhone 4 and up (NO IPODS). DOESN'T WORK ON EARLIER DEVICES**

LuchaShaq

Banned
Why would you guys even be buying a game that has a virtual D-pad.

It's like you enjoy throwing money at the worst idea to plague ios games.

GWX

Why would you guys even be buying a game that has a virtual D-pad.

It's like you enjoy throwing money at the worst idea to plague ios games.

Games like Mikey Shorts and Super Crate Box control very well and are very fun to play. The Other Brothers's controls are just messed up.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm trying to picture what you guys are talking about with The Other Brothers...you hold for a direction, and you slide it left if you wanna go left, and vice versa? Sounds like something that might work okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom