• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

pic.png

somebody should read their emails....

Izick

so I missed all of the announcements. already knew about it being bigger etc.. but what about the camera? what improvements have they made? is there hands on reports yet? and what about stuff like wireless charging, nfc etc..?

I think the camera is the same as the last one, and no wireless charging or NFC stuff mentioned.

Need gaf advise.

My contract with At&t has been up for 2 years and I am planning on renewing it with the Iphone 5 on the 14th. Of my options:

-Ordering the phone on apple.com
-picking up at the apple store
-Ordering through at&t

What is the easiest and quickest?

Dude Abides

Banned
To answer my own question, it appears the price is the same as when the 4S came out, $200 for 16G, $300 for 32G, $400 for 64G.

Need gaf advise.

My contract with At&t has been up for 2 years and I am planning on renewing it with the Iphone 5 on the 14th. Of my options:

-Ordering through at&t

Apple.com. No need to go wait in line forever. It will just show up at your door on launch day.

SmokyDave

Nice to see Sentry and SmokyDave are dealing with the larger screen and redesign well.

Never would've thought.
I don't know what you want from me. Is it as good looking as the iPhone 4? No. Have they increased the bulk to the point where I'll notice a difference in my pocket? No. Is it the 2nd best looking phone ever designed? To my eyes, yes (pending playing with a real one).

Your sarcasm suggests I've pulled a u-turn but I'm just not seeing it.

The Tag line: The Biggest thing to happen to the iPhone since the iPhone literally means its the first time the iPhone screen went big.

dc89

Pretty disappointed to be honest. And I'm a guy who has a 2011 iMac, new iPad and a iPhone 4. Been using Apple stuff for 5/6 years now.

So in the UK the iPhone 5 starts at £529 on pay as you go. Ouch.

Will be a smashing success I'm sure, but it feels and looks a little underwhelming though.

Samsung and Nokia have shown more exciting phones this year.

Zeppu

I don't know what you want from me. Is it as good looking as the iPhone 4? No. Have they increased the bulk to the point where I'll notice a difference in my pocket? No. Is it the 2nd best looking phone ever designed? To my eyes, yes (pending playing with a real one).

Your sarcasm suggests I've pulled a u-turn but I'm just not seeing it.

Aaw don't be like that Dave, I'm just yanking your tail <3

Black looks seriously sexy. I'd really like to go White this time, but damn that Black is just too sexy to pass on.

Waiting on what the carriers price plans are now...

CrankyJay

Banned
Will be a smashing success I'm sure, but it feels and looks a little underwhelming though.

Samsung and Nokia have shown more exciting phones this year.

Was sort of expecting a leapfrog of technologies here...but unless I'm missing something, looks like they sort of just caught up at this point.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow...I have a 4s and can upgrade again soon, but this is really disappointing. :\

Guess I'll just wait.

In short, they really should have called it the iPhone 4SS, since that is what it is. A slightly faster, slightly larger iPhone 4S. Meh.

Tobor

Major thanks to Apple for not increasing the width. The most comfortable to hold smartphone on the market stays that way.

reKon

Banned
How could you not get this in black?

I am more vindicated now... black>whites, bitch (Jessie breaking bad voice).

I'll admit that the two tone back has grown on me. This is probably the best looking phone on the market, but it needs more jelly bean!

Codename Android 3.5 (custom jelly rom) >>>>> Stock Jelly bean >>>>>>>>> iOS 6

SmokyDave

Aaw don't be like that Dave, I'm just yanking your tail <3
Sorry man. I was looking forward to reading these topics but so far they've just been full of passive-aggressive bullshit. It gets tiring. I apologise for my sense of humour failure.

If this phone retained the exact proportions of the iPhone 4, I'd have ejaculated. Actually ejaculated.

TommyT

Need gaf advise.

-Ordering through at&t

I ordered mine from Apple.com for the 4S and it was pretty crazy. When they first open the store online, it crashed for 2 hours (which started at 12 am PST) and I went to sleep. Woke up early to order it around 7 (my time, CST) and was able to order just fine. Day comes for its delivery, which is the day they become available for sale in stores obviously, and it's handled by FedEx. I ended up meeting the delivery person to get it, however was told they have explicit instructions not to give it to anyone (including the office if you live in an APT) other than the person who's name is on the box.

Jburton

Banned
Looks nice but I feel less excitement as every year / iteration goes by.

The look of the OS is really dated.

I think the smartphone market really has nowhere left to go but faster with different styles, the biggest innovation was a display that also functions as the method of input ..... everything else is just bells and whistles.

This is not Apples fault obviously but the excitement around portable devices is starting to fade for me.

Spiders

What a dissapointment.

It looks slightly better than the 4s but other than that it's pretty much the same fucking phone.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, after seeing high res shots, I take it back: the iPhone 5 looks gorgeous. Love the new design, even if it's less drastic than I was hoping for.

Edit : The black one, I mean. The silver/white one is so so.

Dennis

Banned
Sorry man. I was looking forward to reading these topics but so far they've just been full of passive-aggressive bullshit. It gets tiring. I apologise for my sense of humour failure.

If this phone retained the exact proportions of the iPhone 4, I'd have ejaculated. Actually ejaculated.

It is a little longer, is that really such a big deal?

Personally, I am happy about the slightly larger screen.

hyp

at least mention why you guys are disappointed or "meh" about it. I've been on board since iPhone 1 and I think it's great. a nice solid upgrade to my iPhone 4.

Top Bottom