• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irrational Games shutting down, 2K takes over BioShock, KL in new 15 person DD studio

Averon

I'd imagine getting Bioshock Infinite released took a lot out of him. Not surprised he'd want to do smaller scale stuff.

Xpliskin

What the actual fuck ?

The bioshock devs are shutting down ?

How ?

EDIT: oh it's Ken Levine wanting to start fresh after infinite

Woah. Guess Ken is tired of spending years and years on a single game that might not even turn out well (I thought infinite was great)

Good on them for helping the layed off find work

Infinite kind of sucked anyway and reeked of trying to find a balance of mass market appeal (which makes sense, this is a business after all) while still trying to retain some sort of deeper meaning and narrative. Hopefully this smaller studio will help him go back to building more interesting and engrossing games. Huge bummer for all those laid off though. Hopefully everything works out for them.

Opiate

This seems reasonable. The Bioshock games simply were not popular enough to justify their production costs.

Gorillaz

They were hanging on by a thread with Infinite. After seeing Ron jump ship back to Gears I figured it was only a matter of time

AkuMifune

Banned
Best of luck FartofWar. It would be selfish of me to hope you land somewhere you can podcast, so I just hope you land somewhere where you love what you do.

And podcast.

zebwinz

It is almost always hyperbole, but not in this case. My jaw just literally dropped. Best of luck to all those people affected.

I think this is kinda fucking stupid. why would they put so many people out of Jobs? Levine & 2K should have let Levine start a new studio and let Irrational do another game instead of laying off the majority of Irrational

Nuborn

They aint shutting, just restructuring. All those people being let go though I really feel sorry for.

Levine on a new IP will be good, although the fruits of the labour won't be seen for a good while.

Top Bottom