• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irrational Games shutting down, 2K takes over BioShock, KL in new 15 person DD studio

aeolist

Banned
probably a good thing in terms of levine's output. being constrained by AAA-style development really hurt infinite.

mkenyon

Banned
Sweet!

Looking forward to see what they can do without the constraints of a AAA budget.

Only downer is folks needing to find a new job. Hoping for the best for all employees.

The AAA industry syndrome.

Say what you want about Nintendo but they saw this shit coming from miles away. A real shame the industry turned into this.

Magwik

Banned
This seems reasonable. The Bioshock games simply were not popular enough to justify their production costs.

Opiate
Depressingly Realistic
(Today, 12:43 PM)

sigh. anyways this is sad, sad news. Hopefully everyone that lost a job will find a new one.

Seventeen years is a long time to do any job, even the best one. And working with the incredible team at Irrational Games is indeed the best job I’ve ever had. While I’m deeply proud of what we’ve accomplished together, my passion has turned to making a different kind of game than we’ve done before. To meet the challenge ahead, I need to refocus my energy on a smaller team with a flatter structure and a more direct relationship with gamers. In many ways, it will be a return to how we started: a small team making games for the core gaming audience.

I am winding down Irrational Games as you know it. I’ll be starting a smaller, more entrepreneurial endeavor at Take-Two. That is going to mean parting ways with all but about fifteen members of the Irrational team. There’s no great way to lay people off, and our first concern is to make sure that the people who are leaving have as much support as we can give them during this transition.

So Ken Levine wants to work on a new game with a smaller team, so the solution is to shut the company down and fire all but 15 people?

Damn. I really hope by digital and replay able they have PC in mind, not smartphones...:(

Just.. Damn.

So angry at everyone pouring their money into the garbage dump of iOS right now

I-hate-u

Why didn't he just leave? Why did they have to close down the studio completely?

Oh and I guess this means the Bioshock Vita is not happening anymore.

His letter makes it sound like Ken Levine is shutting the studio down by choice to pursue a new game with a smaller team...but I'd have to imagine that the closure/restructure is a financial issue. Otherwise, you'd think it would benefit 2K to keep Irrational making games while Ken Levine worked on a new project separately.

Either way, big loss for the industry and hopefully all the devs at Irrational are able to find new employment. Unfortunately, there's not much of an industry presence here in Massachusetts. :-/

This isn't shocking. Levine was clearly restless during Bioshock Infinite's development and was even more clearly restless after it.

I guess now he saw his chance to get out and do something like Bioshock Infinite without all the things that were holding it back.

conman

Awesome. From my perspective, Infinite was a mess. I can only imagine how big of a headache it was on his end. It shows.

I hope this means he can make games that retain a coherent vision, with tighter control over content and design. I feel bad for the other folks at the studio, but I feel great for what this means for us gamers.

Top Bottom