• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IRS strips tax-exempt status from Richard Spencer's white nationalist nonprofit

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the LA Times

The nonprofit run by one of America's most prominent white nationalists, Richard Spencer, has lost its tax-exempt status for failing to file tax returns with the federal government, according to Internal Revenue Service records.

An inquiry by The Times also raised questions about whether Spencer had properly filed paperwork allowing the National Policy Institute to raise funds in Virginia, its primary place of business, and whether Spencer, a Donald Trump supporter, had flouted federal rules that forbid nonprofits from supporting or opposing political candidates.

On Monday, Spencer said an IRS error led him to believe his group was not required to file federal tax returns, and said he would appeal the loss of his tax-exempt status.

”I don't know what to say. I don't want to make a comment because I don't understand this stuff," Spencer said in a telephone interview. ”It's a bit embarrassing, but it's not good. We'll figure it out."

The only thing I have to say about this is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Skatterd

YcQT4OI.gif

Syncytia

The White House is using its power to use the IRS against a political group!!!

Oh wait, we don't have Obummer anymore.

Alucrid

Banned
"Richard, what's empathy?"

”I don't know what to say. I don't want to make a comment because I don't understand this stuff," Spencer said in a telephone interview. ”It's a bit embarrassing, but it's not good. We'll figure it out."

Got

Banned
Really, the best thing this cunt-rag ever did was get punched in the fucking face. It made him cry like a pussy and made faux liberals cry like pussies cuz they were concerned about the "cause" of liberalism.

I could watch that gif forever.

Bronx-Man

Banned
giphy.gif

Foffy

Banned
How does someone like him get a tax-exempt status for an NPO? Might be dumb to ask, but I can only think of religious organizations that get such status, for good and bad.

Does he have a nationalist Zen temple or something? Clarity for the White mind? ;)

Acorn

How does someone like him get a tax-exempt status for an NPO? Might be dumb to ask, but I can only think of religious organizations that get such status, for good and bad.

Does he have a nationalist Zen temple or something? Clarity for the White mind? ;)
Any legit charity will be tax exempt. Isn't just religious organisations.

Ogodei

Any nonprofit that doesn't engage in overt political campaigning can engage as an NPO. My employer is a 501c3 and we just finished a whole lobbying drive where we brought citizens to Capitol Hill to talk to people, political as all get-out, it's just not partisan and it's not involved in addressing a political campaign.

Basically he can talk about white nationalism until the cows come home and be tax-exempt, as long as he doesn't say "Vote Trump." Much like how Planned Parenthood can advocate for abortion rights but still be a non-profit.

Foffy

Banned
Any nonprofit that doesn't engage in overt political campaigning can engage as an NPO. My employer is a 501c3 and we just finished a whole lobbying drive where we brought citizens to Capitol Hill to talk to people, political as all get-out, it's just not partisan and it's not involved in addressing a political campaign.

Basically he can talk about white nationalism until the cows come home and be tax-exempt, as long as he doesn't say "Vote Trump." Much like how Planned Parenthood can advocate for abortion rights but still be a non-profit.

Ah, thanks.

I only knew of tax-exempt status from scam theologies like Scientology, so I've long held a view that such status was bad from stem to stern.

Thanks for giving me more information to emphasize that such a view to hold is wrong to keep.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

John Oliver showed how easy it was with the Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption church

Slayven

First Falcon Punched

Second tossed out of CPIA by his brothers in arms

Third now this

I would almost feel sorry for him, if he wasn't a sack of shit.

So, maybe I missed it in the article, but what was this charity supposed to go to anyway? Like...cases against white supremacists or something.

Slayven

So, maybe I missed it in the article, but what was this charity supposed to go to anyway? Like...cases against white supremacists or something.

I guess the same thing Milo's charity was suppose to do, help white straight males line Milo or Richard's pockets

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.

Not all non profit organizations have to be charities. My former home brewers club is a 503(c)(3) since our purpose is beer education.

Bu-bu-bu-but taking tax exempt status away from nazis will make MORE people become nazis! We need to have an open dialogue with these people and reach out to them!

zethren

Banned

Found it. National Policy Institute:
NPI is an independent organization dedicated to the heritage, identity, and future of people of European descent in the United States, and around the world. It was founded in 2005 by William Regnery and Samuel T. Francis, in conjunction with Louis R. Andrews.

NPI hosts regular public events and conferences; we publish books, journals, essays, and blogs; we produce videos and podcasts—all dedicated to the revival and flourishing of our people.

So yep. It's just a white nationalist group. Fuck em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom