• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Gamestop warring with Microsoft?

Portugeezer

Makes sense. Remember how everyone saying how the average person wouldn't know, GameStop knows this and it doesn't interest their business for used games to be limited. So more people will know.

Their business model is being threatened by MS, od course they'll go out of their way to promote the company that keeps the status quo and doesn't threaten their business model in the immediate future.

How MS didn't see this coming I'll never know.

Not very smart if they want Microsoft to be one of their partners where people can trade-in games.

Not really. Microsoft Need gamespot to sell consoles so they will put up with this through gritted teeth, for now. Once they start turning the tide on the negativity (people accepting it) then they will take a harder stance with gamestop. Microsoft is playing long ball with this. What Gamestop does now isnt going to make a lick of difference in the long run.

syko de4d

Not very smart if they want Microsoft to be one of their partners where people can trade-in games.

That would make sense.

because why? MS think their DRM rules are awesome and Gamestop just give every customer a list of the DRM rules. If MS is afraid of people reading the DRM rules they just should never implemented them.

Midou

That would make sense.

I believe CBOAT was saying Microsoft wanted to sweep the used-game stuff under the rug and try to make people forget that sort of thing exists. I doubt they will make a huge effort to have anything available any time soon.

RoKKeR

There is a reason that a PS4 ad has been displayed on Amazon since the Sony press conference and not an Xbox One ad: they are selling more of them.

I went to gamestop after ms conference and guy working there was wondering about it and I told him the price and he literally yelled "WHAT" like 5 times with a store packed full of people. He's like are they are stupid

Microsoft really shit the bed with this one. WTF were they thinking? I'm glad it's biting them in the ass so hard. They might be close to hitting the panic button.

Almighty

I would be if I was in their shoes. From what I understand most of their profits come from used games so the Xbox One is nothing, but bad news. Microsoft is now in control of their profit margin as they now hold all the cards in that relationship. Makes sense they will push the system that lets them keep business as usual.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Tbh I think it's probably in Gamestop's best interest to inform customers of the Bone policies, as it will save them a lot of headaches in the future when people come in complaining they can't play their games and whatnot.
It's probably no more than that, I wouldn't assume an anti-MS agenda or anything.
Why can't it be both? Gamestop absolutely would makes moves that make them more profit.

PSP Go saw pushback from some retailers as well.

Its the same with the local game stores over here in Singapore too. Not only the xbone launching late issue but everything it can't do. it simple really, they told me they don't want parents to complain this and that when they realized things cannot work as before. The price is not helping either. Also our local Xbox Facebook page have not been updated since before E3 so no answers can be get from them too.

reddmyst

Not really surprised by this. Gamestop is definitely trying to preserve it's business.

Although I wouldn't call it "warring", more like informing the consumers that enter their stores.

Unless they were spouting FUD, then there's a problem.

legacyzero

Banned
I still cant help but feel bad about my local mom-n-pop game shop here in LaCrosse.

Used market is how he keeps his doors open :(

and on youtube:
oYQFqKm.jpg

what would that have to do with anything? That is just a paid advert.

Jondoyle123

Neo Member
Why can't it be both? Ganestop absolutely would makes moves that make them more profit.

PSP Go saw pushback from some retailers as well.

When I worked at blockbuster UK we deliberately hid psp go units (told to do so) until recall

Only a few shops ever got them

Shady859

Interesting but it makes since they would wanna push Sony and business model as usual. I paid off The Last of Us when I reserved a PS4 so when I go in to get it in the morning I will ask about the Xbone and see if I get any proganda.

Kusagari

I think Gamestop is being proactive here.

Microsoft might have them in the Xbone loop right now but I think the way they're handling things should truly scare Gamestop that MS will eventually cut them out.

They won't admit it but I think Gamestop would rather have the Xbone fail than succeed because of this.

Gorillaz

So wait there isn't a deal between MS and Gamestop? Or is it just a few stores that are against it? if it's a regional thing against MS then wow...

strange as one would figure GS would be one of the approved retailers

They would be dumb to not see the writing on the wall from Microsoft at this point though. The "participating retailers" bit is a just for now thing and where Microsoft wants to be is a place where that isn't needed.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Microsoft really shit the bed with this one. WTF were they thinking? I'm glad it's biting them in the ass so hard. They might be close to hitting the panic button.
I think of all the anti-Xbone conversations that are happening right now. I just overheard one in class.

All of those "loyal CoD-playing Xbox fans" that we imagine? They'll easily switch allegiances for a lower price and more power alone, and the DRM stuff is a fistful of extra nails in the coffin.

They would be dumb to not see the writing on the wall from Microsoft at this point though. The "participating retailers" bit is a just for now thing and where Microsoft wants to be is a place where that isn't needed.
And "approved retailers" are still giving up some of the profits! Before they had all of the pie, and now MS gets a cut? No thanks.

Hilti92

Was at a gamestop to pick up a $20 PS card and the employee and some customers were thrashing the XBox. The customer was the one who raised the topic, but the employee had plenty to say about it as well.

Now that public opinion is solidly in Sony's court, expect their promotions and advertising to favor Sony. Even if MS had no DRM, Sony's looking to make them the most money due to the price alone.

They probably were trashing it because that's how they feel. I am sure the company doesn't have an influence over them to do that.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Everyone should be at war with Xbone.

Nash20

Banned
Gamestop and best buy would be smart to attempt to stamp this whole digital thing out as quickly as possible. Gamestop especially could go under overnight.

Yup two Gamestops I went to the workers said "Don't get the Xbox One". I already know that thank you but that kind of awareness of forthright attitude from workers at a Gamestop is pretty shocking.

But seriously fuck the Xboned.

syko de4d

It´s not only the anti used part that sucks for gamestop.
Because retail games are just digital copys after you have installed them on the box people will start buying less and less retail games and Gamestop stops selling used and new Games.

Took my kids to Gamestop to spend their allowance.

My kid loves asking questions. He saw the video of how to share games on PS4. I loved his response. "Well dah, of course that's how we share games. That was stupid."

I was kind of embarrassed but the nice rep said you can't do that on Xbox One. That's why it's a big deal. He then looked at me and said dad, I want an PS4 for Christmas.

I just laughed as we have already on pre-order.

:)

Seanspeed

Banned
All of those "loyal CoD-playing Xbox fans" that we imagine? They'll easily switch allegiances for a lower price and more power alone, and the DRM stuff is a fistful of extra nails in the coffin.
Dont underestimate the power of 'comfort'. People often stay loyal to a brand(speaking beyond just gaming here) because its what they are used to and what they know.

deadeye

Similar thing happen when I went to Gamestop today. They all seem to prefer the PS4. There were two customers that was all for the XboxOne. Made for a pretty interesting time in Gamestop.

Now that I think about it, I should have pre ordered the PS4 :/

Took my kids to Gamestop to spend there allowance.

My kid loves asking questions. He saw the video of how to share games there. I loved his response. Well dah, of course that's how we share games. Were not stupid.

I was kind of embarrassed but the nice rep said you can't do that on Xbox One. That's why it's a big deal. He then looked at me and said dad, I want an PS4 for Christmas.

I just laughed as they are on pre-order already.

Haha.

Kikujiro

Gamestop managers being unprofessional, what's new. Except this time, I don't really mind....:X

They are not really unprofessional if they are just informing the customers, they have to because your average client is not aware of all the DRM restrictions and it will be a headache if people start returning their consoles or games because they can't play them.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Took my kids to Gamestop to spend there allowance.

My kid loves asking questions. He saw the video of how to share games there. I loved his response. Well dah, of course that's how we share games. Were not stupid.

I just laughed as they are on pre-order already.

No way

Vodh

Yep, we're at a point where just simply informing customers in a calm and objective manner is still effectively smearing shit all over Xbone. Well done, Microsoft!

Top Bottom