• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is something wrong with me? I'm not impressed by this generation.

wazoo

HK_SKW_Museum_of_Coastal_Defence_Rainy_Day.JPG

I am not impressed with this generation.

I...really don't get what kind of miracles you were expecting OP.

We're coming off the longest generation in the industry's history, which gave devs up to 8 years to pull every last inch of power out of the hardware. If you'd told me we'd see games like The Last of Us or GoW:Ascension back in 2006, I wouldn't believe that shit. Those games even look better than the pre-rendered CG bullshit they used to promote the platforms way back when.

Meanwhile, this generation started just last November, and the hardware makers aren't nearly as willing to lose a shitton of money on each unit this time. The PS4, the most powerful of the three new consoles, is built around a cheapo low-power CPU and an average GPU. Indeed, that they managed to pack all that into a $400 system that's so small is impressive in and of itself.

I fully expect to see games that exceed our current expectations right now. But as it stands, considering the consoles have only been out for 5 months, stuff like Second Son and Shadow Fall are pretty damn impressive to me.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is those pics supposed to show the difference? Honestly, I really don't see a generational leap anywhere in those pics.

Better character model, that's about it. Same blurry textures for the rest of the world at a higher resolution. Thanks, Post-Processing?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member

We're coming off the longest generation in the industry's history, which gave devs up to 8 years to pull every last inch of power out of the hardware. If you'd told me we'd see games like The Last of Us or GoW:Ascension back in 2006, I wouldn't believe that shit. Those games even look better than the pre-rendered CG bullshit they used to promote the platforms way back when.

Meanwhile, this generation started just last November, and the hardware makers aren't nearly as willing to lose a shitton of money on each unit this time. The PS4, the most powerful of the three new consoles, is built around a cheapo low-power CPU and an average GPU. Indeed, that they managed to pack all that into a $400 system that's so small is impressive in and of itself.

I fully expect to see games that exceed our current expectations right now. But as it stands, considering the consoles have only been out for 5 months, stuff like Second Son and Shadow Fall are pretty damn impressive to me.

My expectations go beyond visuals. I don't care about that as games from last gen still look good. My problem is that everything so far is just a prettier version of last gen stuff and that's boring to me. I want them to use the power of the new consoles to enhance gameplay mechanics. I don't care about better lighting or how realistic things look.

The indie stuff is far more interesting to me than the big budget stuff is right now.

I'm not impressed either but that's not a knock on the consoles. Ryse and Killzone are two of the best looking (but not playing) games I've ever seen even compared to shit on my gaming PC and it's amazing how consoles with such cheap hardware can produce visuals like that. It's just at this point, I've kind of seen it all and playing mostly on PC in the last few years has especially softened the impact of these new consoles. I don't expect to be impressed again until the new engines come out like Unreal Engine 4 and Ubisoft's new Snowdrop engine. After all, while shit like Kameo looked awesome (still does) at launch, it wasn't until Unreal Engine 3 and Gears of War came out that my jaw truly dropped.

My expectations go beyond visuals. I don't care about that as games from last gen still look good. My problem is that everything so far is just a prettier version of last gen stuff and that's boring to me. I want them to use the power of the new consoles to enhance gameplay mechanics. I don't care about better lighting or how realistic things look.

The indie stuff is far more interesting to me than the big budget stuff is right now.

Again, that's not a particularly new phenomenon either. The PS1 is the only generation I grew up with that didn't have that problem early on, and that's because it heralded an epochal shift from 2D to 3D graphics. Meanwhile, the PS4 and Xone are as iterative as you can get--their shiny HD visuals and network-enabled features are the main selling point, which is exactly what happened with their predecessors. The software is simply a reflection of that.

Design-wise, I'm not expecting any thing really fresh from big marquee titles until the end of the year at the absolute earliest. Perhaps longer.

axb2013

When the 360 first came out, it had the equivalent of a 7800 GTX, a high end GPU at the time. I remember paying ~$300 for a 7800 GT a few months earlier. It's been so long I don't remember exact price but the GTX was the GPU at the time.

This time around consoles reached a shelf lower for the parts but it's silly to assume the limit is reached. Once games exclusive to next gen or just downporting to ps360 in order to boost sales start to appear, we can can revisit the issue. Graphical heavy weights have long development cycles, I would wait for them to launch before drawing conclusions.

nekonoko

I don't think you should buy a console from day one if any of the launching games interest you (at least that is the case for me). The PS3 still has many good games coming.

My friends ask me if I'm not going to build a game rig again (my current PC is just for work) and I say yes, but just when there is going to be a new interesting game on the horizont. Lately I just play Touhou and is the only game I would play regardless.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm less impressed so far by this gen than any prior gen leap in graphics, gameplay and features.

But games like Second Son and Shadow Fall (though I hated the game) do look a good bit better than last gen stuff--just not as big a leap as past generational advances.

Gameplay wise, I wasn't looking for anything new. I started gaming with the NES (well we had an Atari 5700 before that, but I was young and it sucked) and last gen was my 2nd favorite to the 16 bit generation. So I really wanted more of the same with better graphics, and that's what the PS4 gives. I have no interest in control gimmicks, VR or any of that stuff. I just like traditional games with traditional controls, so just getting that with a shinier coat of paint is fine by me this generation.

Feindflug

I don't see that either. Kameo blew me away from day 1 last generation, it was a clear step above anything even on PC at the time and I still think it's one of the best looking games available for the 360.

I totally agree.

Games like PGR3, Kameo, Advanced Warfighter or Lost Planet didn't even look "good" to him/her? seriously?

GetemMa

I don't agree.

Infamous SS and Metal Gear V GZ are significant leaps over the last gen and we have barely scratched the surface of the new gen. Improvements in fidelity will continue to be more subtle than before that is just a natural thing about improving fidelity.

But as a PC gamer, it is less impressive than the jumps from PS1 to PS2 to PS3.

My PC can run any game better than my PS4.

Consoles are great to have for fighters, platformers, sports games, and exclusives. That is plenty to justify my purchase.

So, I've had WiiU since day 1, PS4 since day 1 and I plan to get XB1 day 1 if Microsoft some day remember that Sweden exist.
Anyhow, I've played on an import XB1 and today I think I've seen the games that is said to really show off the generational leap on all platforms.

I finally played Second Son for the first time yesterday, which DF said was the best looking game on any platform in their technical article, and I thought I would finally come away really impressed.

But no, I was not impressed, like at all.

I get that games will get more impressive over time and Naughty Dog still haven't shown their next gen stuff which might be amazing, but so far this has easily been the most underwelming start of a new generation for as long as I can remember.

Games still look about the same, most games still run at 30fps and we basically still play the same exact games as before since nothing has happened on the gameplay front.

ZombiU had some novel ideas with the Gamepad screen which I really liked but WiiU sadly isn't delivering the visual leap I'm looking for when entering a new generation. Off TV Play at 60fps without lag is probably what I'm most impressed about so far, but it's on WiiU again. PS4 and XB1 has the power to impress, I think, but so far I'm just not impressed at all with the gameplay or performance there. Also, isn't it annoying that we see far more 60fps games on WiiU when it's supposed to be more like a last gen console technically?

Am I the only one with this feeling?

This all sounds to me like you would have preferred the power of the PS4, rolled into a WiiU? I gather that you really do enjoy the offscreen experience?

I have but one answer to help your PS4 woes:

Buy a Vita + enjoy remote play ^_^

Dire

We're coming off the longest generation in the industry's history, which gave devs up to 8 years to pull every last inch of power out of the hardware. If you'd told me we'd see games like The Last of Us or GoW:Ascension back in 2006, I wouldn't believe that shit...... Meanwhile, this generation started just last November...

Expecting anything like PS3 level improvements this gen is unrealistic. The huge gap between launch and late gen titles on the PS3 was a consequence of incredibly unusual hardware that took years to start being effectively utilized. This gen the consoles are essentially just midrange PCs, perhaps with the exception of the XBone's esram.

Expecting anything like PS3 level improvements this gen is unrealistic. The huge gap between launch and late gen titles on the PS3 was a consequence of incredibly unusual hardware paired that took years to start being effectively utilized. This gen the consoles are essentially just midrange PCs, perhaps with the exception of the XBone's esram.

Indeed, that's another issue as well. That steep learning curve that came with wrestling with the Cell isn't a factor this time, as Cerny went out of his way to combat that complexity (thank God). But even if the jump isn't as big, I do expect the games to look better over time.

clem84

Gold Member
Pssh. 5 months isn't a generation. Come back in 6 years.

The thing is, historically whenever a new console came out, even if it was first gen software and that the games were going to get better over time, the first gen still always used to blow us away. This trend started to slow down at gen 7, and now at gen 8 it's painfully obvious that diminishing returns are a reality. And this is after 8 years of technological improvements mind you.

I hate the disappoint the OP but it's only going to get worse. Everyone should do themselves a favor and focus on the games themselves and not the graphics. You'll enjoy them way more this way.

Disagree.

KZ, AC, and Infamous made me a believer. And to think what Witcher, Dragon Age and GT7 will look like?

Nope, not with you on this one at all.

I do own a good PC too, will get even better when my DK2 comes but I don't compare PC to console.

I definitely see the jump. Even Resogun impressed me. Sucks that you don't enjoy the hobby as much.

I really don't understand why people make themselves dislike something they otherwise would like. I feel like OP has some really huge expectations that he/she probably knows is unrealistic instead of playing the game beyond what it looks like.

First, we are just 6 months in the generation and your already unimpressed? What is there to be unimpressed about? So far we haven't even gotten deep into the generation to call anything unimpressive. We haven't seen what this generation can bring. It's not like any of the games coming out now are the end all be all for the generation. If anything, it's just gives you a small glimpse of a couple of things.

1. As with last gen, developers will quickly learn the architecture much faster this time around due to similar architecture.
2. Devs are already working on really creative engines and methods that will push the envelope for games moving forward.
3. Seeing as a lot of big named devs are leaving very high profiled studios to start their own, we are looking at the beginning of indie games that will move further out your typical $15 experience but become something that could almost stand along side AAA releases .

Sometimes you guys make yourself disappointed because you don't think outside the box of what this generation will bring. Why look at how things are now and completely blanket that over the entirely generation? It makes no sense at all. Just be optimistic about what's to come. We have like 7+ years untouched right now. So far we've gotten some good new IP news and a lot of surprises coming from both camps.

DryvBy

I'm a PC gamer so a lot of first year stuff never does impress. Oblivion on the 360 was the best looking thing to me on the 360 and it still didn't look completely amazing. The problem with the first year, year and 1/2, is that they're tied down to make these games on previous gen systems too. Imagine the improvements with ACIV if it was strictly set in next-gen. Wait until next year when the games really start hitting.

So far, the real reason I'm impressed is the social stuff. Built-in Twitch/Ustream support is where it's at for me. Now if I can just get really amazing quality from it, I'd be set.

SeanR1221

You don't see a difference between this

infamous-2.jpg

and this?

13225415184_d3903879e8_o.png

And we're only 5 months into this gen. And the above is an open world game made by a 100ish-man team.

Man and the original looks even worse compared to 2 (I'm just finishing it up now). Makes you appreciate how good SS looks.

I think Destiny will be the first game to really really really wow the majority of people.

I'm a PC gamer so a lot of first year stuff never does impress. Oblivion on the 360 was the best looking thing to me on the 360 and it still didn't look completely amazing. The problem with the first year, year and 1/2, is that they're tied down to make these games on previous gen systems too. Imagine the improvements with ACIV if it was strictly set in next-gen. Wait until next year when the games really start hitting.

If I come back in a year or two and say the same thing, will people still be in utter denial and tell me to wait till the end of the system's life to do so?

What's wrong with you is that you're judging a generation of video games based off about 6 months. It literally has years to go and improve.

Kurt

Agree,

I'm impressed what wii u could pull off with mario kart 8.

However, there is no single next gen game (until now so far) which i find a big leap from prev generation. I think this generation is a start of a new generation where we would only see a big leap on pc. That's it, console would have to count on innovation now.

You know, in the end it's to expensive to meet the expectations.

BibiMaghoo

I would put forward that this gen has seen the most impressive games at this point in the platforms life than previous gens, certainly the PS3 was very underwhelming when it showed up. Motorstorm? Get the fuck out.

My recollection of previous launches amount to a few gems and a load of we-must-have-games shovelware. I think we are doing well this gen.

Biker19

Banned

infamous-2.jpg

and this?

And we're only 5 months into this gen. And the above is an open world game made by a 100ish-man team.

Seriously, I've seen it a few times now in this thread and by apophis and others in one of the MK8 threads...and people who say SS is just infamous 2 at 1080p and not that great looking are either blind or insane (or lying). People may not like games like SS, Ryse or KZ:SF, and sure that's fine I get it, but to say they're not a graphical showcase and big jump over last gen is just flat out wrong.

These. Try doing Second Son with the kind of graphics on a console with a 192 GFLOP GPU, & a measly 512 MB's of shared RAM (this is PS3, mind you), then come back & tell me.

terrisus

I haven't been impressed with any generation over the past dozen years or so. The last new console system that really impressed me in any way was the Dreamcast, and even that was relatively minor. Everything since then has just seemed like iterations on the same things.

infamous-2.jpg

and this?

There's a difference between being able to see a difference, and caring about/"being impressed by" that difference.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
At the moment, all I am really looking for are new, interesting experiences. I have been playing Starbound a lot just because it is something different, and obviously isn't just a display of visual quality.

Pathos

Banned
This gen just basically started less then 6 months ago lol. I'd give till 2015 when we actually start seeing "holy shit" games.

MercuryLS

Banned
Every gen starts off slow, this holiday has tons of awesome games so I'm not concerned in the least.

I think the visual jump is massive (Infamous, The Order), we just haven't seen enough games that take advantage of the PS4 yet.

As for improvements in gameplay, we hear this every gen. Early games are going to push visuals with very similar concepts to last gen. Over time that will change as developers used the power of these machines for things other than graphics (physics, world simulations, etc). These things take time.

Honestly, I have not been impressed by games evolution since 2008. Yet, I really do not care. If the games are fun, they do not have to push the boundaries. So I will buy Wii U and PS4 games if they are fun.
Edit: Now if they made a game trailer quality (Dark Souls 2 and Watch Dogs), then that would be different. Division is bound to get a downgrade...

Meh. I've been somewhat impressed visual wise but not much else. Have yet to buy any of the new systems and I'm more than satisfied with my handhelds and PC where I feel there is an insane amount of variety missing from the consoles at the moment. I'll certainly pick up the PS4 once FFXV or KH3 or something equally interesting and exclusive lands but otherwise, I'm fine not jumping in the pool yet.

jelly

There just hasn't been a game released yet that takes things to the next level and is actually new and exciting. Game play is familiar but not in a comfortable way, just played out. A game changer needs to happen but doesn't need to be drastic just well executed. Fingers crossed for E3.

Top Bottom