• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is The Division: Survival DLC, the best 'Survival' game right now?

Tratorn

At the very least with the hunters it offers the best/natural A.I. I ever met in a game.
I hope they do more with those enemies in the future and not only "waste" them at the survival extraction.

Is it fun to do solo?

It's even the most fun to do it solo imo.
Especially PvP fights can be really intense there.

Leyasu

Banned
Damn, not gonna lie op you are selling me on this hard. I love survival experiences but hate ones with huge time commitments like day z, rust, ark and minecraft. I enjoyed the hell out of h1z1's battle royale until that community went into the shitter.

I have noy played the division in atleast 6 months, but I am all over this shit after I get back from my fucking tour de France and UK over christmas

Patrick S.

Banned
I'm interested in this. I've got the base game on Xbox but haven't played a lot, and only played solo. I checked out the free The Division trial on PC the other day, and was impressed by how much better this looks on PC. I have two options; buy the season pass for the Xbox, or get everything on PC. I'm undecided what to do. Pleae help :)

PC pros: mouse and keyboard controls, better graphics, free multiplayer

PC cons: I'd need to spend around €45 to get the game plus season pass. Multiplayer may be dead on PC? Are many people still playing?

Xbox pros: I'd just need to seek a cheap offer for the season pass

Xbox cons: worse graphics, worse controls, pay to play multiplayer

Samikaze

Is it worth buying this DLC if you only play solo?

Absolutely. I'm one of only a couple of my friends who returned to the game, so I usually play alone. I have only played Survival solo.

It's pretty tense but since there's a snowstorm, enemy AI can't see as far, making stealth possible. I managed to sneak through the Dark Zone with all green gear, and just an M4. I almost finished one entire session solo, but the Hunters in the Dark Zone got me at the last second.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
It's another troll central mode. My experience with it was awful. For many reasons.

I believe these developers are the most meanspirited in the industry. Everything they do caters to and encourages douches.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's another troll central mode. My experience with it was awful. For many reasons.

I believe these developers are the most meanspirited in the industry. Everything they do caters to and encourages douches.

Er-Are you playing PvP? Play PvE, it's the way the mode is meant to be played IMO.

Simo

Play PvE then. It's Survival so of course any players you meet are going to drop you to get your resources, it's the whole point.

Love the expansion and yeah it's pretty much what they kinda sold the game was going to be in the beginning instead of what we got, at least that's my feelings on it.

Yeah just need a couplr changes like randomized loot places and up the player count to like 32-34

Also stop spawning players in clumps. Spread them out further.

Other than that I love Survival.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Er-Are you playing PvP? Play PvE, it's the way the mode is meant to be played IMO.

PVE is still needlessly douchey game design, because they do shit like make all drops shared... you struggle through a fight and some jerk sprints in and grabs your shit. Just, everything these devs do is designed to antagonize and allow trolling.

It was clear the first time I extracted in this game back on day 1 and noticed there were only 4 hooks on the rope. Troll devs, troll game.

I like the survival mode quite a bit.

You can even queue with a group if you have friends you want to play with..

Playing solo is fun too, though.

I think some of the ideas in the mode are actually detrimental to cooperative play, though.. particularly the fact that loot is not instanced like it is in the regular game.

I think it would be a better co-op experience if loot was instanced for the party.. meaning everyone in the party could loot, but it would be picked clean for other people once it was looted.

Though you could argue that this design choice makes it a somewhat competitive experience even when playing with your friends and an even better survival simulation because there is a reason to hog things for yourself instead of telling your friends. "Hey, I found medication over here.. " vs "Nah. didn't find anything ::takes meds for himself::"

Go to the "Hub" area inside the Base of Operations. Same place you go to access The Underground. Then when your in there, find the HVT Officers and then to the left of them you should see the "Survival" thing appear and walk into that room and interact with the door.

Thank you everyone! Will check it out tonight!

Kalentan

Goddamn it. Got killed by a hunter on my latest run! I was so close! Fuck the hunters. They have so much health. I feel like unless you have more people. You do need to spend sometime decking yourself out in gear to take them on. Even one is dangerous.

Goddamn it. Got killed by a hunter on my latest run! I was so close! Fuck the hunters. They have so much health. I feel like unless you have more people. You do need to spend sometime decking yourself out in gear to take them on. Even one is dangerous.
Litterally:

- Buy the high-end M44

- Buy High Velocity Magazine

- Craft the Turrent

Throw the turrent down so the hunter will be focused on that, pulse then go for a headshot. Its a one-shot kill most of the time.

Kalentan

Litterally:

- Buy the high-end M44

- Buy High Velocity Magazine

- Craft the Turrent

Throw the turrent down so the hunter will be focused on that, pulse then go for a headshot. Its a one-shot kill most of the time.

I shall do that. I've been going for Pulse + Med Kit. But I don't think there's anything stopping me from crafting the Turret.

I mean if I can get to the DZ with like ~20 min left on my virus and have plenty of medicine and pain killers... I shouldn't be rushing.

Deku Tree

I still feel burnt out on the Division and I haven't played it since around May. The season pass never goes on sale for PSN either.

Tagyhag

The premise sounds great but I'm used to survival games that have you surviving for literal days, not just less than 2 hours and for it to have a goal.

I understand why they did this, and it sets them apart from other survival games, but it's not my cup of tea.

Edit: I'd love a Division Survival mode where the premise is the same, aside from the virus, and your goal is to just start from nothing and eventually own all of Manhattan.

You'd start out in a decrepit shack and eventually build up to a fortified fortress with other NPC's that you can send out to missions + guard the place from attacks. It'd have to be PVE and your main goal would be to capture the headquarters of the other factions without losing your own. You'd also have to scrounge for supplies for you and your faction. Loot would be randomized.

squidyj

Play PvE then. It's Survival so of course any players you meet are going to drop you to get your resources, it's the whole point.

Love the expansion and yeah it's pretty much what they kinda sold the game was going to be in the beginning instead of what we got, at least that's my feelings on it.

This sounds like what I thought the Division was supposed to be when I saw it revealed at E3 2014, and not a loot RPG

I still have no idea how people got that idea from a game where they go into a police station and find fancy shiny loots in the demo.

I'd say Rust is the best one though. Really polished but with a persistent world.

persistent worlds just seem pointless and unfocused.

One of my primary skills is usually the ballistic shield, it's not so much for the n vs n fight against hunters but it gives you so much hp vs other groups around, it can take a beating.
I tend to get good gear by the end. Once i get in the Dark Zone I try to hit as much division tech as I can. Craft some nice armor for yourself, Holster is a good one for yellow because of tri-stat. Get yourself up to 5 gear mod slots and fill them with mods.

you probably only need one good gun to kill the hunters, I like to make a nice MMR and a pistol to work with my shield.

Budi

Oh man, maybe I really should try this out. I've moved on from the game already, got about 160 hours of fun out of it. I bought the season pass before it came out, but haven't played any of it. Too bad I have only one friend with the dlc, but atleast he is eager to play it too.

TheSeks

PVE is still needlessly douchey game design, because they do shit like make all drops shared... you struggle through a fight and some jerk sprints in and grabs your shit. Just, everything these devs do is designed to antagonize and allow trolling.

That's kinda the point of a "survival" mode, dude. You're going to fight with/against players to survive. PvE mode turns off one element: You no longer have to worry about someone shooting at you while you're shooting at the enemies. You do have to worry about you never being revived, but that's where the tension comes in: You have to fight against the enemies and the elements (the storm) to get your gear to show them you can survive.

It's hardly "troll design."

Kalentan

That's kinda the point of a "survival" mode, dude. You're going to fight with/against players to survive. PvE mode turns off one element: You no longer have to worry about someone shooting at you while you're shooting at the enemies. You do have to worry about you never being revived, but that's where the tension comes in: You have to fight against the enemies and the elements (the storm) to get your gear to show them you can survive.

It's hardly "troll design."

Shared drops would make it so much easier. Which is why they don't do it. So yeah, I agree with you.

I've put in more than 30 days into the Division and this mode feels completely fresh and brilliant. Very addictive as every game plays out differently

It is really good.

If I had one complaint, it would be how some of the resources are in the same spots every time. Once you've played 8-10+ games, you start to remember specific locations to acquire specific resources. Eventually you learn the best spots to get clothes/electronics/whatever and it takes some of the fun out of scavenging.

The drops from enemies are still random but I wish the entire map's item locations were randomized each time.

BLCKATK

It is really good.

If I had one complaint, it would be how some of the resources are in the same spots every time. Once you've played 8-10+ games, you start to remember specific locations to acquire specific resources. Eventually you learn the best spots to get clothes/electronics/whatever and it takes some of the fun out of scavenging.

The drops from enemies are still random but I wish the entire map's item locations were randomized each time.

I agree, having that stuff randomized would be a welcome addition. Having certain enemies patrols being randomized would be pretty cool too. One game a certain area is relatively empty, next game it's swarming.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Can't wait to play it. Working the next week straight, but I plan on digging back into the game once I get off. Survival mode sounds right up my alley.

Haven't played it since the first patch, so I'm excited to jump back in with all of the new fixes and content.

Have they added many more weapons or armors to the game? Any new skills?

BLCKATK

Can't wait to play it. Working the next week straight, but I plan on digging back into the game once I get off. Survival mode sounds right up my alley.

Haven't played it since the first patch, so I'm excited to jump back in with all of the new fixes and content.

Have they added many more weapons or armors to the game? Any new skills?

A lot of new weapons and armor sets. A lot of the core endgame got redesigned in patch 1.4, and it's really solid now. No new skills unfortunately, but many were rebalanced so a lot of things are very useful now. You'll be spending time working through world tiers, then once you hit World Tier 5, building a set of gear that boosts the way you like to play.

That sounds great

Sold the game a couple of months ago. Hopefully some part of this is implemented in the core of the sequel.

Does it reward you with gear you take into the main game?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I like what i'm reading but the main game didn't clicked with me when i played the beta. If it was on sale i would give a shot.

Samikaze

I found it too hard once I got to the dark zone.
Never played it again.
Needs difficulty levels.

It always had a form of difficultyfor the DZ depending on your level, but they recently overhauled that for all level 30 players.

Both the DZ and Manhattan open world now have Tiers that you unlock by getting better gear. This way if you're playing solo, you can go to a lower difficulty to beat missions, or equip lower gear to play in a lower leveled dark zone.

I really like survival mode. It's far better having a friend with you though, it can be pretty tough solo.

Definitely renewed my interest in the game after the underground ruined it

Tobor

I was really hoping it was going to be a Day-Z like experience, where you'd create a separate character and it would be persistent.
It would have been one of the first persistent survival experiences to actually be finished and polished. Could have been huge for the game, feel it's a missed opportunity!

Yeah, this. I have no interest in playing a survival mode without some persistence. Try again, Ubisoft.

jesu

It always had a form of difficultyfor the DZ depending on your level, but they recently overhauled that for all level 30 players.

Both the DZ and Manhattan open world now have Tiers that you unlock by getting better gear. This way if you're playing solo, you can go to a lower difficulty to beat missions, or equip lower gear to play in a lower leveled dark zone.

I'm talking about this Survival mode.
It's too hard solo, for me.
It ends in the dark zone.

TheSeks

I'm talking about this Survival mode.
It's too hard solo, for me.
It ends in the dark zone.

You want to get Blue Guns, enough crafting items to get at least 6 Yellow Fabric, and the other stuff. The Yellow Fabric (once near or on the Dark Zone) will give you more than enough clothing to not worry about the cold for a bit (I got Sub Zero Hero off -22C). You want about 4 weapon parts to craft the Quick Release Yellow Blueprint for your primary guns.

Then go in.

I just fucked up (going to the top of the DZ to get the Anti-viral to spawn in the lower end. Couldn't get back down there and got fucked up by a purple and like 6 Reds) surviving by spamming infection buffs (to where my timer was like 50 mins) after spending ~1 hour before the Dark Zone.

But I survived to the anti-viral timer of like 50mins (even in horrible server host lag, through spamming anti-viral timer holds) by myself SOLO about 2 times out of 5 attempts now. Not too bad. The AI
have poor seeing, so long as you aren't worrying about the cold, you don't need to stomp around near them and can take a wide burth around them to never engage them

It's the crafting the Division Tech (which is in DZ infected areas) and surviving the extraction (since Hunters will spawn ONCE for your attempt. So if you craft two flare guns you basically win once you clear the Hunter out) that's difficult. The rest is mostly easy.

hydruxo

It's surprisingly very, very well done. It's certainly got me back into the game. Props to Massive for this expansion.

My experience of it was it's the same game that came out on release just now you're temporarily rolling a new character with a time-limit rushed off your tits.

Didn't like it, just my point of view.

That's mainly why I like it so much. Dark Zone is a mess with all the min/max'ing that people do with gear, so having a mode where everyone starts on an even playing field and has to work their way through it is pretty damn cool.

It's good, but could be a lot better. For starters, loot should be randomized. As it is, I can spawn, know where the better landmarks are, and just run for those.

And thanks to the meta of the game, you basically just make a great sniper + turret and it becomes really easy unless you get overwhelmed in the DZ by multiple mobs.

But I do love how random other elements of it can be, thanks to the addition of other human players. Nowadays my Survival experience has just become a game of "find the dead players on the map", you get tons of stuff real quick by doing that.

One last thing, reviving a player should override the "kill and loot" option every time. I have tried to revive strangers or group buddies multiple times only to have someone run up and do the loot and kill option. Makes no fucking sense, especially in PVE.

Bluecondor

Great topic OP!

I actually thought about starting a similar thread yesterday, but then I wondered if it was just me enjoying this - since I have never been a fan of survival type games.

Survival is great because the survival mechanics are interesting and relevant, but not so punishing that you can't enjoy the game. And - the gameplay is really emergent, in that where you spawn and how quickly you get to various spots before other players get items, etc changes the game every time. And - there are times when you just luck out and get an amazing weapon drop or happen upon a dead agent who left a huge amount of loot.

I just finished a PvE Survival that lasted nearly two hours. I kept finding medicine (and fabric) but somehow I couldn't find any tools, so I couldn't even craft the filter to get to the Dark Zone (by the way, tools are usually plentiful - I just caught a bad break). With about 10 minutes left until I would die, I ran up north and found some tools and quickly crafted a filter. With only 5 minutes left til I would die, I saw downed player near an extraction, so I figured I would help him and maybe we could get out together.

What I didn't realize was that he had been killed by a hunter, who was still there lurking. As soon as I tried to revive the guy, the Hunter spammed me with grenades, downed me, and then finished me with an axe.

Awesome game. I'm going one more time tonight.....

I'm interested in this. I've got the base game on Xbox but haven't played a lot, and only played solo. I checked out the free The Division trial on PC the other day, and was impressed by how much better this looks on PC. I have two options; buy the season pass for the Xbox, or get everything on PC. I'm undecided what to do. Pleae help :)

PC pros: mouse and keyboard controls, better graphics, free multiplayer

PC cons: I'd need to spend around €45 to get the game plus season pass. Multiplayer may be dead on PC? Are many people still playing?

Xbox pros: I'd just need to seek a cheap offer for the season pass

Xbox cons: worse graphics, worse controls, pay to play multiplayer

There are still people on PC. I play on there and don't usually have to wait very long to matchmake for missions or survival. I also usually end up with European players.

lt519

Bought the season pass but haven't played any of the expansions I should really give survival a try, I don't care about the loot, sounds like the experience would just be fun.

Top Bottom