• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Pokémon "Are you a boy or girl?" thing outdated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin64

Just thought this would be a good place to mention..

Sun/Moon do not ask you this question. They show you the image below and say "So which photo should I use for your Trainer Passport?". Then it asks your name. And that's it.

YrpAQRa.png

(Apologies if this was already known!)

Crocodile

So the localizers (and maybe the Japanese team themselves) basically did what the OP asked for and what Pokemon Go seemed to do with no fuss or drama?

If so
GBTFO everyone who got salty in this thread LOL

Sun/Moon do not ask you this question. They show you the image below and say "So which photo should I use for your Trainer Passport?". Then it asks your name. And that's it.

YrpAQRa.png

Woop woop. Maybe some developers at GF were thinking the same thing.

Wiseblade

YrpAQRa.png

That's a far better solution than anything I could think of. Removing the direct question makes the binary choice a lot more tolerable. Not an absolute ideal, but definitely progress.

Cynar

So far no pronouns in game either, at least in English. This is exactly how it should be.
There are pronouns in the English game. I don't know what you're talking about or why you're hating on them. People will still use them in daily speak throughout your life and they don't mean to offend you on purpose. There are nothing wrong with pronouns.

Caelus

Still waiting for that apache attack helicopter gender option.
Maybe the next game.

The ones that just came out at least try to address the issue of transgender representation in a respectful and simple way, but you just couldn't help making a dumb joke. Smart cookie you are.

Roufianos

I always thought that "boy" or "girl" in these games was a question of sex.

Boy being a young male and girl being a young woman as the game is aimed for kids.

Orayn

I noticed the picture thing too and thought about this thread. I suppose it does address the thoughts some people have raised by literally removing the question that had previously been used.

Still waiting for that apache attack helicopter gender option.
Maybe the next game.

Can you not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom