• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the PS VR 2 experience worth it?

TransTrender

Gold Member
I have a PSVR1 and a PSVR2.
The PSVR1 has more and better games.
I literally took the plastic off my launch PSVR2 last week only because Beat Saber got a patch after the first release. It's still not perfect but I can see it being a better solution long term...for Beat Saber.
That is all.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
If you love racing.
And are willing to get a good steeringwheel
Some loadcell breaks
Shifter.
A chair.
Gt7

Then 100% yes.
Otherwise hell no

Pelao

If you have the disposable income and previous experience with VR, I'd say it's worth it.
Right now there aren't too many games to play, but Gran Turismo 7, Saints and Sinners, After the Fall and a few rhythm games have kept me using this thing almost every day since the launch day in February. Not to mention some of the other stuff I've played like RE8, Moss, Star Wars, etc. So, for me at least, it was worth it.
If you have doubts about it, then better not buy it yet. If what's already there, and some of the things announced, interest you, then jump in with no worries. This is some good shit if you're into VR.

AGRacing

GT7 is a more complete and fun experience vs. PSVR1.

Pavlov was a really cool experience that took advantage of the superior controllers on psvr2.

Everything is clearer.

However...

I regret buying it. I knew it was a mistake to spend that kind of money and I did it anyway. Completely my fault. There should be more of the VR1 titles converted to VR2. There should be more announced big titles on the way.

Fredrik

I only have a Quest 2 but in general with VR hardware there is a risk that it’ll collect dust once the launch honeymoon is over. Big developers and publishers are unfortunately hesitating to properly invest. But you can always buy, enjoy what’s there, sell. Then return later at a cheaper price if something substantial comes out. Don’t overthink it, it’s entertainment.

I love mine, but honestly, probably not. I'm a bit concerned at the lack of software coming from Sony and have questions about how well it's going to be supported and for how long.

Most games use frame reproduction and look quite blurry and low resolution at times. Red matter 2 shows what the headset is truly capable of but that's one game.

Raonak

Banned
Its some of the most fun you'll find on PS5.

Needs more games, but as a VR solution, it's great. Especially the fact it's 1 cable means you can pick up and play a lot easier than PSVR1.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I have a PSVR1 and a PSVR2.
The PSVR1 has more and better games.
I literally took the plastic off my launch PSVR2 last week only because Beat Saber got a patch after the first release. It's still not perfect but I can see it being a better solution long term...for Beat Saber.
That is all.
This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, the PSVR2 is a generational leap over the first one in every single way and you are forgoing some of the most incredible experiences just to replay beat saber in a higher resolution??? Fuck is wrong with you? Why even bother buying it

The hardware and gaming experience is fantastic, it's very accessible and easy to just pick up and play. Especially compared to PSVR1. The game library is okay but still not great - but for me Resident Evil Village alone makes it worth it.

But it's a lot of money for a few standout titles so far. I'm extremely happy with my purchase and I can't wait for the upcoming games - it's still early days.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
There should be more of the VR1 titles converted to VR2. There should be more announced big titles on the way.

This is why I didn't decide to buy the PSVR2 yet.
I really believed Sony would have made PSVR2 modes for all their major 1st party titles like God of War Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West.

Instead, Sony didn't even bother to port Astro Bot Rescue Mission to PSVR2, meaning they're barely giving a shit about the platform.

I don't get what they're thinking by throwing only indies and a couple of b-team 1st party efforts like Call of the Mountain. This is PS Vita all over again.

If you have a small interest in racing games, know that GT7 VR is an exhilarating game 🔥
It easily trumps the flat screen game imho: being immersed inside all the magnificent cockpits, in the middle of the race tracks, with all the other GT cars all around you is huge.

Markio128

I’m super happy with mine, but I’d still recommend caution. At the end of the day, it’s a lot of money, so don’t buy one yet if you’re stretched to get one.

However, I don’t have the same concerns as others regarding games, but then I guess it depends what you enjoy playing.

Personally, I absolutely love VR rhythm games, so I’m having a blast with Synth Riders, Pistol Whip and Beat Saber. I love GT7, so that’s been awesome. If you aren’t into horror games, then you could argue that there is a shortage of decent single player adventure games. However, Red Matter 2 was superb, Moss 1 and 2 are quality and Synapse is out in a couple of weeks and it looks great.

I haven’t tried Horizon yet because I’m waiting for a discount on that one - looks great, but too expensive imho.

If you have a look at the highest rated games on PS5 this year, you may be surprised by how many PSVR 2 games are there - Moss 2 is 90 mc, Pistol Whip is 90 mc, Tetris connected is 93 mc, Red Matter 2 is 89 mc, etc.,

SeraphJan

The hardware is amazing for its price, however the platform still lacks game (which is understandable consider its still relatively new), I would say wait

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Until there is a blockbuster game like Alyx I can't recommend the library to the average gamer.

You would have to be above average entusiastic about VR or Gran Turismo and racing.

Beat Saber is a great fall back though.

PanzerCute

The hardware is great and there is a shit ton of good games already (dont know what people are smoking in this thread)

Gt7, Horizon, RE8, Demeo, Walking Dead 1&2, Red Matter 2, Puzzling Places, After The Fall, Moss, Tetris Effect, Walkabout Mini-golf, Beat Saber, Humanity, Pistol Whip etc...

Very good and varied line up of games. People complain cause a lot of these games exist on other platforms, but if you are new to VR or only played PSVR1 like me, you wont have problem finding something great to play.

And 2023 is already stacked with promising releases: Synapse, Crossfire Sierra Squad, Hubris. C-Smash, Arizona Sunshine 2, Journey to Foundation, Behemoth, Vampire Masquerade, 7th Guest, RE4 Remake, Wanderer, etc..

Just dont expect to get many AAA games, VR being still niche.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, the PSVR2 is a generational leap over the first one in every single way and you are forgoing some of the most incredible experiences just to replay beat saber in a higher resolution??? Fuck is wrong with you? Why even bother buying it
I thought there would be more games.
GT7 sure looks absolutely incredible but I'm not in to racing sims.
Any suggestions for games on this that I should be looking at?

ABnormal

It's a dream came true, and from my point of view, even only few great games on it will give you more that what you will enjoy in the much more crowded flat screen experience. But that's my experience.
If there were a VR version of any game coming out, I would probably ditch altogether the flat screen version: it simply can't compare to the overall immersion and interaction. But sadly hybrid games are rare (thank you, Capcom, for your top notch commitment).
If you think that few unforgettable experiences (killer apps) are enough to buy it, then it's a given. If you need to have a regular cascade of great games on it, the VR market is still far from that.

Wonko_C

The idealist in me would say go for it, we need as many people as possible supporting Sony with more headsets sold so the big third parties start making games for it.

The realist in me says: Wait until there are more games that appeal to you, you'll probably be able to get it cheaper by then.

sncvsrtoip

Psvr1 was insta vomit for me in more complex games so big improvement here on psvr2. Couple of great games: gt7, re village, red matter 2. Few interesting to come like re4 remake, crossfire, synapse tough little disappointed with sony hybrid support as for now only gt7.

Last edited:

Crayon

If you love racing.
And are willing to get a good steeringwheel
Some loadcell breaks
Shifter.
A chair.
Gt7

Then 100% yes.
Otherwise hell no

You do not need that stuff at all. Ds5 with motion control gets you so much without $1000 of gear taking up a corner of a room.

Crayon

fuck no XD

No seriously why does getting a peripheral that dramatically enhances a game require you to buy another one that does. It's a top tier game right out of the box so it not like you need every bell and whistle to get it there.

A better question would be what enhances the game more, a headset or a wheel? I say headset all day.

FunkMiller

No seriously why does getting a peripheral that dramatically enhances a game require you to buy another one that does. It's a top tier game right out of the box so it not like you need every bell and whistle to get it there.

A better question would be what enhances the game more, a headset or a wheel? I say headset all day.

You definitely need the wheel. Using a Dualshock is just not the same thing. I only have a G29, but it makes the whole experience that much more realistic. The shifter's a bit pointless if you're racing hyper cars and single seaters, given that they're all semi auto flappy paddle gear boxes these days.

Last edited:

Crayon

You definitely need the wheel. Using a Dualshock is just not the same thing. I only have a G29, but it makes the whole experience that much more realistic. The shifter's a bit pointless if you're racing hyper cars and single seaters, given that they're all semi auto flappy paddle gear boxes these days.

Wheel is nice but still think using a VR display vs a panel is a way bigger difference. Driving with your head and eyes locked down the barrel is the biggest compromise of a sim on a panel.

FunkMiller

Wheel is nice but still think using a VR display vs a panel is a way bigger difference. Driving with your head and eyes locked down the barrel is the biggest compromise of a sim on a panel.

I just can't separate the two now. Couldn't think of ever going back to a Dualshock or a TV to play. The one guaranteed success story for the future of VR will be e-racing.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I just can't separate the two now. Couldn't think of ever going back to a Dualshock or a TV to play. The one guaranteed success story for the future of VR will be e-racing.
Is it worth the purchase? I haven't touched GT7 in a while as I'm finishing off RE8 and a few others and have been in two minds to get back into it with a wheel

FunkMiller

Is it worth the purchase? I haven't touched GT7 in a while as I'm finishing off RE8 and a few others and have been in two minds to get back into it with a wheel

If you’re into really motor racing, then I’d say yes. Psvr2 is much easier to use than trying to get a set up working flawlessly with PCVR. And I’d argue GT7’s graphical fidelity is as good as, if not better than, games like Assetto Corsa on a high end rig. The weekly races are a lot more fun in VR. In fact the whole thing is. If you’ve got the cash to spend, I’d say give it a go. You can always return if it doesn’t do it for you. For me though, it’s absolutely excellent. I weirdly feel like a I know the Le Mans track pretty well, while I’m watching the race today. Onboards feel very familiar.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Have you tried VR with a steering wheel?
Haven’t played GT7 but modded Assetto Corsa and I just can’t go back. I’d say it’s as transformational as VR itself, you feel the road, the tires, your arms are synced with the driver arms, the force feedback, it all makes the immersion unbeatable and for me the powerful FFB also removed all traces of motion sickness.

Buggy Loop

Direct drive wheel all day

Both together is next level, but wheel is more important than headset

Top Bottom