• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the PS VR 2 experience worth it?

Drizzlehell

Banned
GT7 is amazing with the racing wheel. It is the best VR racing game right now, period.

RE Village is fucking great.

Horizon is okay. Visually stunning and I liked the high level of interactivity and realistic physics, which isn't as common in VR as you'd think. But the game itself is just okay, I guess. I dunno, there's a shitload of climbing in it and it was getting kinda tiresome during longer sessions.

No Man's Sky was actually better on PC, on PS5 it was really blurry the last time I played it.

Star Wars was okay, nothing really special compared to Quest 2 version, just with better graphics.

That's all I played so far. None of the other games seemed that inticing to me so far, especially since most of them are also on PC or Quest where I already played them. For those games that I played on Quest but are available on PSVR 2, I would recommend Walking Dead, Pistol Whip, Beat Saber, After The Fall, Drums Rock, and Kayak VR.

Oh, and there's also Resident Evil 4 VR coming, that's gonna be fucking sick. Some of the recently announced shooters also look pretty tight.

Overall, there's quite a lot of games for it that are worth playing so yeah, definitely go for it OP if you have that option. Although if you have the option to get a PC VR setup then I'd still recommend going with that, either Quest 2 or Quest 3, but only because it offers a heck of a lot more options compared to PSVR 2. But if console VR is your only option then PSVR 2 is still great.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
No seriously why does getting a peripheral that dramatically enhances a game require you to buy another one that does. It's a top tier game right out of the box so it not like you need every bell and whistle to get it there.

A better question would be what enhances the game more, a headset or a wheel? I say headset all day.
headset for visuals
wheel for gameplay

it's the perfect cocktail
not going into the debate what is better as you obviously never really went down that rabbit hole.

if you are new to VR that horizon game is alright.
to me it was a 6 tbh nothing really wowed me tbh
i actually liked RE8 a lot more/

If you are looking for the best VR platform ngl get the Meta quest 3 or 2 just because you can pair it with pc,
Play doom 1 2 3 in vr Quake series in VR use a virtual boy emulator.
play all the modern RE engine games in vr if you have a great pc.
Half life alyx, lone echo 1 and 2 the list goes on.. Mod support for beatsaber..
PSVR2 got shit on the openness from the meta quest,

But for those few games exclusive to the PSV2 i'd say go for it <3

Last edited:

Crayon

Have you tried VR with a steering wheel?
Haven’t played GT7 but modded Assetto Corsa and I just can’t go back. I’d say it’s as transformational as VR itself, you feel the road, the tires, your arms are synced with the driver arms, the force feedback, it all makes the immersion unbeatable and for me the powerful FFB also removed all traces of motion sickness.

Direct drive wheel all day

Both together is next level, but wheel is more important than headset

I've had VR and I've had a wheel. They are both amazing and add a lot. But if you have to have a wheel to enjoy the VR then you have to have the VR to enjoy the wheel by the same logic. That doesn't make sense.

I think we can all agree that both is the ultimate experience but in no way does the lack of a wheel blunt the vr's contribution to that.

Crayon

headset for visuals
wheel for gameplay

it's the perfect cocktail
not going into the debate what is better as you obviously never really went down that rabbit hole.

if you are new to VR that horizon game is alright.
to me it was a 6 tbh nothing really wowed me tbh
i actually liked RE8 a lot more/

If you are looking for the best VR platform ngl get the Meta quest 3 or 2 just because you can pair it with pc,
Play doom 1 2 3 in vr Quake series in VR use a virtual boy emulator.
play all the modern RE engine games in vr if you have a great pc.
Half life alyx, lone echo 1 and 2 the list goes on.. Mod support for beatsaber..
PSVR2 got shit on the openness from the meta quest,

But for those few games exclusive to the PSV2 i'd say go for it <3

Actually I disagree on the vr=visuals. The visuals are a clear downgrade though many understandably don't notice because the downgrade is evenly spread a little here and there.

The VR is all for gameplay. Moving your head is a big part of driving. Note that all race car drivers do it quite a lot. I can look past a pillar, check my blind, truly use your mirrors, get stereoscopy and that parallax information for depth, and most importantly look into corners.

Gamerguy84

Its worth it to me I'm not sure how you'll feel. GTVR is mind blowing, RE is good, kayak is good, Beat Saber is awesome.

They are just getting started with it though. I'm sure it will probably be on sale in December.

Buggy Loop

I've had VR and I've had a wheel. They are both amazing and add a lot. But if you have to have a wheel to enjoy the VR then you have to have the VR to enjoy the wheel by the same logic.

I’m not saying you need a wheel to enjoy VR but that a wheel is the first investment of any serious sim enthusiast before anything else.
The sim races on PC almost require a wheel, at least to even consider being competitive. GT7 is arcadey comparatively. The force feedback from direct wheel base is required to even have a feeling of what’s going on. It’s a game changer for even a monitor, or you could do TrackIR or triple screen

It’s the basis of full sim games. VR is just an extra.

TransTrender

Gold Member
LMAO

No, but you clearly weren't serious anyways.
This is the thread, correct?

Please let me know if this is wrong.

Please, please, explain it like I'm five years old, rub my fucking nose in it, show me the good games I don't already have on my PSVR1.

I'm begging you to demonstrate.

This shit has been in plastic sitting on my entertainment center until Thursday June 1st. A launch unit.

I think that within a month im going to acquire the PS VR 2, what experience have they had or games that are worthwhile.

I know the peripheral, since I have PS VR on PS4... Is it still worth it?
I was going to get one at launch but I have too much debt I need to pay off and other bills. I'd say you should get one. There is plenty to play and a big jump from psvr

Fredrik

I've had VR and I've had a wheel. They are both amazing and add a lot. But if you have to have a wheel to enjoy the VR then you have to have the VR to enjoy the wheel by the same logic. That doesn't make sense.

I think we can all agree that both is the ultimate experience but in no way does the lack of a wheel blunt the vr's contribution to that.
For me it just feels ”wrong” to attempt to have total immersion through VR and using cockpit view if you still just control the car with a controller. I just can’t do that, it’s a major immersion killer in my opinion. It’s the same thing with a triple screen rig and controllers. There is an immersion mismatch. I don’t know how to better explain it.

But with chase cam I’m fine with controller, and without VR, that’s how I do it when I don’t bother using the wheel. It works best for arcade racers when there is no real attempt to replicate real life driving, but I’ve played and enjoyed many sim racers too that way including GT7.

Top Bottom