• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is traveling to Japan dangerous due to radiation?

Theodran

Wait, you are not going to Japan because of one TripAdvisor user post?

That's like me deciding not to go to the USA because someone posting something like this:

The last I heard, Americans are still living their lives. Being shot when visiting New York or nearby areas isn't an issue.

You are responsible for your family's well-being though. There are folks who feel USA as a whole is too risky so they don't go. The government, on the other hand, assures you that it's a safe place to go. It's up to you to assess the risk and choose what you believe.

Now read this and think again about that one post that made you not go to Japan.

Obviously yeah totally safe to visit Japan.

But people shouldn't be afraid to even visit Fukushima prefecture! Only a small area around the plant is a problem, and the rest of Fukushima (which is big--I'm a solid 70km away from the plant) rules!

I've been waiting for my super powers to manifest but I just don't know even more.

Pretty sure my goddamn (((SOROS))) check will get here before that happens!

1upsuper

You should really reconsider, OP. I had a wonderful time during my trip a few years ago and you probably would as well. As everyone else has said, it's safe. The food's safe. Seriously. Frankly I'm confused why you're putting more stock in one Trip Adviser comment than all the comments here.

Darksol

I've been living here for well over a year and I only started to grow gills and extra digits a few days ago -- you'll be fine

I have a similar reason for not going to Europe. They say the black plague is gone, but I don't trust them.

Just go to Japan first, the Godzilla radiation should mutate your body so that you'll eventually be able to withstand the black plague. The terrorists might still get you though.

Dougald

OP:

imHUBDP.png

Steel

Banned
Wow. I lost brain cells reading this thread and the OP's addition to it.

This is not how radiation works. You will get more radiation flying in a plane than you will getting inside the danger zone in fukushima.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/03/it-s-safe-return-fukushima-study-suggests
The median lifetime radiation dose due to the accident was 18 millisieverts in Zone A, the most contaminated part of the city, the team will report in an upcoming issue of the Journal of Radiological Protection. That's extremely low considering that the International Commission on Radiological Protection considers a dose of between 1 and 20 millisieverts per year acceptable. Furthermore, 18 millisieverts is less than a person receives naturally over an entire lifetime from radioactive elements in Earth's crust and high-energy particles bombarding the atmosphere.

To put it in context, you're getting about 5 millisieverts every time you take a long plane trip. The above is ground zero over a lifetime.

DVCY201

Well I actually did do research. Googled "is it safe to travel to japan radiation" and limited the results to last year.

Did you know that Taiwan, China, South Korea still ban food from 5 provinces in Japan?

So yea, it's not nearly as open and shut case as people here would have you believe.

And this post from TripAdvisor resonated with me.

I assess the risk and choose that it's not worth the risk, even if it's 1%.

If that's your stance, nothing in your house better be Made in China either

Go_Ly_Dow

I live in Nagasaki City and literally a 20min tram ride away from the Atomic Bomb epicenter.

I don't see any people dying around me.

BigDes

Going to actually recommend that OP does not go to Japan.

Reason being that as a human adult they are more than likely going to develop a form of cancer one day in the future. If this happens to OP after them going to Japan then everyone someone mentions the place OP will be like

I was persuaded to go there fifty years ago by the Neogaf. Now I have butt cancer. Thanks the Neogaf.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
no but seriously I'd go to japan to buy some children's pretend-play toys and their collectibles and their delicious snackstuff

lupinko

Are you sure you aren't a viscous Ghoul waiting for new live meat how are we supposed to know

You're joking, and if you aren't then that's just awful. But this isn't a laughing matter for me since I work and live with people who were directly affected by the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami.

Also you post with a JoJo avatar, Araki's hometown of Sendai was one of the main cities that took the brunt of that disaster.

I'm honestly sick and tired of people just spouting nonsense about this and gloss over you know the more important stories, the people and the places that were affected by that earthquake and tsunami.

I'm out of this thread.

Korey

This is the kind of insanely dumb logic that antivaxers use, isn't it...

The difference between this an anti-vaxxing (which I'm not btw, I'm completely pro-vaccine) is that you can scientifically determine that vaxxing doesn't cause autism because we have data. We won't have data on Japan's long term effects from radiation for a long time.

I'm extremely risk-adverse (I also cut down a lot of red meat because recent studies have shown even a little bit increases the chance of cancer). So even though I agree with all of you that Japan is probably safe, I still choose not to take that chance.

So you are one of those OP...
Lol at the 1% risk. Dont get out of your house then, because the probabilities of dying are there. In fact, dont stay home either, you could also die there. Start saving for a bubble before death comes after you.

Just read the red meat part... buhahahahahaha. You are fucking scared of cancer it seems. Guess what, even trying to not get cancer, theres a high chance you will get it in your life time. The only thing you can do is go to checks regularly, and stop it before its too late if you get ot at the end. And im saying this as someo e whos father had cancer and probably I will get also.

On a week day during a school week, MAYBE

Thats an adivise for nearly all the popular theme parks in the world though. Not only tokyo DisneySEA.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
The difference between this an anti-vaxxing (which I'm not btw, I'm completely pro-vaccine) is that you can scientifically determine that vaxxing doesn't cause autism because we have data. We won't have data on Japan's long term effects from radiation for a long time.

I'm extremely risk-adverse (I also cut down a lot of red meat because recent studies have shown even a little bit increases the chance of cancer). So even though I agree with all of you that Japan is probably safe, I still choose not to take that chance.
Why have you not commented on the fact that background radiation in New York is higher than Tokyo?
Are you also never travelling to Europe?
Are you never taking a plane again?

PillarEN

I don't think there is a single government issuing a warning to their citizens about avoiding Japan due to radiation. Maybe they would point out the Fukushima area, but that's not likely a place a visitor would end up unless they specifically were interested in disaster sights.

Korey

Why have you not commented on the fact that background radiation in New York is higher than Tokyo?
Are you also never travelling to Europe?
Are you never taking a plane again?

I didn't see the post about New York. Link?

What's wrong with Europe?

depths20XX

OP is clearly just a disingenuous troll who never had the means or real planning to go to Japan in the first place and decided to make a dumbass thread.

Izuna

Banned
Thats an adivise for nearly all the popular theme parks in the world though. Not only tokyo DisneySEA.

As a Brit, seeing what DisneyLand looked like in Tokyo during a school holiday... I had a real Haurhi moment (wow there are a lot of people in the world).

Exiting the station to say, Harajuku on the weekend was far more crowded than waiting in line to a Bruno Mars concert over here.

The advice is similar, but it's on a whole other level.

Magni

https://youtu.be/z5Otla5157c

PillarEN

As a Brit, seeing what DisneyLand looked like in Tokyo during a school holiday... I had a real Haurhi moment (wow there are a lot of people in the world).

Exiting the station to say, Harajuku on the weekend was far more crowded than waiting in line to a Bruno Mars concert over here.

The advice is similar, but it's on a whole other level.

Yeeeeeeessssss

Izuna

Banned

My man,

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=h.....69i57j0l5.6254j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_infant_mortality_rate

You have been told time and time again about how wrong you are about the safety. This is a country where people eat raw foods regularly and have the 2nd highest life expectancy in the world and 3rd lowest child mortality rate.

Japan is pretty much THE safe af country outside of natural disasters, which you shouldn't worry about even in the slightest.

I saw this scene before I went to Japan and thought "wow, she's silly".
Then I saw it for myself and went... o_o

I went to Disney Sea while on a business trip in 2015.

I can now breathe underwater due to gills growing on my armpit. DO. NOT. GO.

I live in Nagasaki City and literally a 20min tram ride away from the Atomic Bomb epicenter.

I don't see any people dying around me.

Don't hide the fact about your extra ear. I think it's time we stop hiding, show ourselves to the world, and join Magneto.

Went last year (Tokyo, Kyoto), absolutely loved it, as a brit, 2 things stood out to me. The people are just so upbeat and cheerful and nice compared to what I'm used to. And we rarely saw any bins, but it was spotless, so damn clean.

The next time I go I want to do a more countryside/temples/food exploring type of a thing.

Also quiet trains!

Well I actually did do research. Googled "is it safe to travel to japan radiation" and limited the results to last year.

Did you know that Taiwan, China, South Korea still ban food from 5 provinces in Japan?

So yea, it's not nearly as open and shut case as people here would have you believe.

it is, they are doing this for political, not health, reasons.

depths20XX

Magni

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/zSl8tGW.jpg[/img]

So few people on the way home due to the high levels of radiation killing most people off. Most days it feels like I'm living in a real-world Fallout game.

Top Bottom