• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It was a horrible, horrible idea to re-watch The Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the fuck these dvds are 16:9

That's weird. Mine aren't. From wikipedia:

The first five seasons were originally distributed by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment for region 1. However, in 2008, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment became the rights holders for the DVDs.[17] They released season 6 and re-released seasons 1–5 in slimmer packaging in 2008, and released season 7 in 2009. International releases have always been distributed by Sony, who have only ever presented the show in 16:9 (widescreen) format, as opposed to the Fox releases, which presented the show in 4:3. All the re-releases by Sony along with seasons 6 and 7, and the complete series box set are presented in widescreen.[18] The Sony region 2 release of season 5 has a shortened version of the season finale, 48 minutes as opposed to the regular 67-minute version

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Another shield thread and I'll say the same thing I always do.
Season 5 is some of the best TV of all time..

The Shield is one of those shows I don't think I can watch again though for the same depressing reasons as you OP

Gila

I just started this show for the first time, currently on S1 E08. I hate to judge shows so early on but all these reviews are making me wonder, when does it hit in? Or is season 1 a bit slow?

Sopranos, Mad Men and Breaking Bad has put the bar up for me with (god-tier) series, but then again this is a cop show and is a bit different. I'm gonna keep watching hopefully it gets way better than this.

zero_suit

I just started this show for the first time, currently on S1 E08. I hate to judge shows so early on but all these reviews are making me wonder, when does it hit in? Or is season 1 a bit slow?

Sopranos, Mad Men and Breaking Bad has put the bar up for me with (god-tier) series, but then again this is a cop show and is a bit different. I'm gonna keep watching hopefully it gets way better than this.

It does.

Season 1 is the weakest season. They weren't quite sure what they wanted to do with the show at the time. It starts to come together towards the end of the season and the second season. Seasons 4-7 are where it pretty much becomes perfect.

Those last few episodes of the series, man oh man. Just one gut punch after another.

My favorite TV show ever, I've never gone back to the final season. I was a little unsure of the finale at first, but then decided it was pretty perfect after a couple days of reflection.

Building to some big final confrontation between Vic and Shane, and them just pulling the brakes in the most real way possible still gives me chills thinking about.

Some day I will give this entire series a full run through. I jumped in towards the end of the season before Glenn Close came on, I believe. So I've never seen it all beginning to end.

JimiNutz

Banned
Season 7 is absolutely heart breaking BUT it features some of the best scenes ever on television.

The confession scene is outstanding but the scene where Claudette takes Vic into the interrogation room and lays out that file with the photos and the suicide note....

Holy shit.

Best scene I think I've ever seen.

I have a friend that loved the show but refused to watch the last episode.
He was already down on the show when he could see how it was going to play out but watched right up until the second from last episode.
Someone spoiled it for him and told him how it ended and he has refused to watch it. He said he just can't bare to see it end like that.

I can kind of see where he's coming from but he's really missing out on one of the best final episodes ever and some of the greatest scenes/acting I've ever seen.

I don't know how they could have ended it better as far as Shane was concerned. A shoot out with Mackey or some such would have been shit. They even got me to feel bad for his wife, a character I had been hoping to see die pretty much since the moment she appeared on screen.

My only complaint with the final season, particularly the last few episodes, is that Vic really becomes a fucking miracle worker in order
to get immunity
which seemed a little far fetched. Not that the show didn't go into fantasy land sometimes to begin with. And I enjoyed the idea of him getting what he wanted, and it turning out to be his personal hell.

Again, I haven't seen that season since it aired, so I may feel differently on a re-watch.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Trying to navigate this thread now without seeing spoilers. I got my hands on season 1 despite my geographical isolation. I'm ten episodes in. It's starting to get quite good.

My favourite single season of television

No 1) The Wire season 4
No 2) The Shield season 5

Doing a rewatch now with my girlfriend, almost through season 3. I've told her she needs to be ready for season 5 when the shit starts going down... but she isn't ready. How could you be?

I don't think I've ever seen a show that wraps up as well as The Shield did. The end game of The Shield is what I use to judge other shows, and unfortunately it's affecting my enjoyment of things like Breaking Bad for example.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Started watching the show. On 3rd disc of season 1. Im surprised this was on FX its really goddamn gritty. Some bad shit all around. I really like how the guy who is supposed to be the lead in the show is total scumbag crook with very few redeeming qualities. Show does a good job at throwing some fresh scenarios at what would otherwise be a standard cop show.

oneils

Its too bad the Shield is not on netflix here in Canada. Otherwise I'd definitely check it out. Is it available on any other inexpensive streaming service here in Canada?

Something to do with music licenses. Shawn Ryan is still trying to get it up there.

He should license himself a new main-title theme - because that is easily the worst thing about The Shield. Brilliant show, with music that sounds like one of those royalty-free instrumentals that radio stations buy so their promotions side can make "Edgy" hip-hop ads for a car dealership.

The Shield was a show (like almost every great show in recent memory, including the Wire) that probably went for one season too long. But goddamn was it rich in characters. I honestly stopped even giving a fuck about Mackie and his family by season 4. He was just a bald hurricane who existed solely to rain shit on everyone else. It was how everyone else reacted to that hurricane that made the show brilliant, to me.

I don't agree with the idea that it's as good as either The Wire or Breaking Bad, but it's like arguing over which player was best on the Dream Team. When the competition is THAT good? It almost doesn't matter. I think a lot of people mark it down because it's more overheated, a little more prone to the soap-opera aspects. But if you can roll with that once you recognize it - it offers a LOT in return. You've just gotta be willing to roll with it.

I remember, right around Season 6, I wanted more than anything in the world, a show where Lester Freamon and Claudette Weems were put in the same department, and had to solve murders together, with Dutch and Prezbo tripping over themselves doing the field work.

Dennis

Banned
Finished watching the show for the first time.

Goddamn.

The last episode of Season 5 and two last episodes of Season 7 are soul-crushing.

One of the best TV shows of all times for sure.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
And now, for something completely different, Cletus Van Damme the trans prostitute.

woou8ozl.gif

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I liked how he dealt with his sex-trauma by beating off to a horrific rape.

The last thing about the Mexicans and Aceveda was weak salsa also. It felt stilted. And not all Mexicans are short either: Julio Igelelsias and the Bandalero Zorro guy

I'll cut you.

Cipherr

Excellent stuff, right there.

Best scene of the show. Goddamn man, it was rough to watch.
Made me really wonder why the fuck I had been cheering for the strike team to get out of jams all of those seasons. Some of the horrible shit they did....
Crazy. The Wire as a whole is indeed the better show, but the Wire doesn't have a high point that peaks as high as the confession scene of The Shield.

NIN90

Season 5 was so goddamn good. I was like actually pissed that day when I watched S5 finale.
I should really watch S6 and S7. I kind of stopped in the middle of S6.

RS4-

I really regret never having watched the series. Not even 5 mins. Back them there was just too many series I was invested in. I'll try to watch it this week

Two amazing music choices that go so well with their respective scenes (won't mention the scenes): Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm and Concrete Blonde - Long Time Ago. They get me every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom