• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It was a horrible, horrible idea to re-watch The Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite TV series ever. Saw every episode on its air date. The pilot had me at the get go.

I've never seen most of the other series mentioned in this thread though. The Wire, BB, 6 feet under. Got some shows to marathon for sure. I don't mind waiting.

Helmholtz

The final season of the shield was fucking depressing. I seriously was not prepared for that shit.
Really amazing show though. So much more than a simple cop drama.

The tension in some of the final episodes of The Shield was simply too much for me to take, I had to fast forward through certain scenes.

smr00

Banned
Yes. The Shield is a top 5 series all time. Incredible ride.
Agreed.

Although it's my personal favorite. I just re-watched the entire series a few months back (for the about 10th time) and it still holds up incredibly well, although it's never the same as when you first sit down and watch it, especially when you started from the pilot when it originally aired and followed the characters for 7 seasons and having to wait for the next season and the whole thing.. Fucking roller coaster of emotions this show gave me and still does. It's one of the few shows i can re-watch over and over.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Just started the series, I'm about half-way through Season 1.

Does the acting ever get better? I'm really digging the premise, themes, plot so far, etc, but I'm having a really hard time getting immersed or feeling any emotion when the actors have just been awful so far. Everyone just seems like an amateur on screen.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Does the acting ever get better? I'm really digging the premise, themes, plot so far, etc, but I'm having a really hard time getting immersed or feeling any emotion when the actors have just been awful so far. Everyone just seems like an amateur on screen.
Oh yes.

But is it better than The Wire? or Breaking bad?
It's not quite as good as The Wire, but it shits on Breaking Bad from a great height in my opinion. They earn a lot more of the drama that takes place on The Shield, a lot of the events in Breaking Bad are way too coincidental. It makes for good TV at times, but it never punches you straight in the chest, which The Shield (and The Wire for that matter) both did many times during their run.

I still have bad flashbacks to the finale, years after watching it just the one time. Best finale in the history of TV. I sort of want to watch the show again, but maaaaan...

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

Does the current cast get better or do they start bringing in new, better people? Also, about when can I expect the transition to start happening? I don't want to give up too soon.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Does the current cast get better or do they start bringing in new, better people? Also, about when can I expect the transition to start happening? I don't want to give up too soon.
Both, honestly. Season 1 ramps up a lot near the end. Season 2 is a step backwards, but from season 3 on it just keeps getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom