• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaime Griesemer (Lead Designer InFamous: SS, Halo 3) has left Sucker Punch

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I wonder where he's headed.

Given his last career move, I would guess he's staying in Seattle, so the most obvious choices would be:
-Back to Bungie
-Microsoft
-Indie

There are other studios, but they don't seem like a super obvious fit for someone who makes AAA console games.

Based on his previous work, my guess is he will be going back to Bungie to work with them on Destiny.

I have the feeling this sort of thing (switching jobs/careers) happens all the time, it just gets more focus these days with enthusiast gaming communities.

It's crazy to me that in threads like these lately people want to find a bad guy, be in Sony or Yoshida or Neil Druckmann...is it possible this guy and others before him just wanted to branch out and try something different? Maybe nobody did anything wrong? Maybe Sony didn't "fuck up" and there is nothing they could have done to keep him? Judging by his resume he's got the clout to do any number of things he wants and maybe he just wants to try something different?

ps3ud0

If he finds SP too big, it might be time to go Indie - maybe one of the ones 505 is a publisher for...

I dont see him going back to Bungie or MS

ps3ud0 8)

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Yeah, i heard it was conceived during production of Halo 2 actually. A big, long project.

I doubt Griesemer goes to 343i though, if he thinks big team stifles creativity.

Which is why he will probably go back to Bungie instead.

GhaleonEB

I agree with everyone who said 343 needs him.

I agree, but I don't see him going there. Not after the separation with Bungie, and his dislike for large, process driven studios. He spent a decade at the Halo grindstone and I'd guess he's not anxious for another.

Kinyou

Which is why he will probably go back to Bungie instead.
there are like 400 people working on Destiny. I doubt he'd go back to that if the team size drove him away

How large a group? "It's around three times the size of the Halo Reach development team," Butcher, the game's lead engineer, tells Wired.co.uk. "If you count all of the test and development and support staff then we're over 400 people."

For perspective, the size of the team working on the next big-budget Call of Duty title, Ghosts, in-house at Infinity Ward is 125, in addition to about a few contractors and additional work done at partner studios.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-06/18/destinys-destiny

BigDug13

Big names leave for other big projects when their work is done. Second Son is done so he's moving on. Nothing crazy here unless he says otherwise.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
One question - are Zombie Studios based in Seattle?

If he isn't starting his own place, then that's a possibility.

Seattle is actually like the third largest game development area in North America, but my guesses were based on what he has done and what people who leave AAA usually do.

There are a ton of possibilities if we just look for small studios though.

Sydle

Wouldn't be mad if he went back to 343i with Joe Staten. They are needed.

I wonder where he's headed.

Given his last career move, I would guess he's staying in Seattle, so the most obvious choices would be:
-Back to Bungie
-Microsoft
-Indie

There are other studios, but they don't seem like a super obvious fit for someone who makes AAA console games.

Also consider that Amazon HQ is in Seattle and they've been scooping up talent from AAA studios.

KoopaTheCasual

Holy shit at that resume. Talk about decorated.

Just you watch, people. Amy Hennig, Marc Whitten, Jack Trenton, and Jaime Griesemer are becoming a super dark allegiance, under Amazon's new console world order! You have been warned!

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Going to guess he's going indie? Or Amazon.

ob2ahmk.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeMrttj8Ucg

KoopaTheCasual

But yea, I seriously wouldn't doubt that these rash of successful devs just up and leaving after their (seemingly) great projects ship is Amazon paying out the ass to get top talent, who have great reputations in the enthusiast community.

Top Bottom