• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jak and Daxter PS2 Trilogy (and Jak X) coming to PS4 via PS2 Classics

LordofPwn

Now bring Ratchet & Clank PS2 games, then Sly, then DQVIII.

Great step in the right direction. will buy all the Jak games

WITHE1982

Gonna give these a miss as I only played through the trilogy again on PS3 a year ago.

I may end up picking up Jak X if it's available as a standalone though.

Just read the PlayStation Blog article...

"Although there will be no online features you can still battle against your friends via splitscreen."
Welp, no online. =\ But at least the games are running at "1080p up-rendering" (that's not the same as upscaling, right?) and I can use Share Play.

Also, with this release, Crash Team Racing will be the only Naughty Dog game not on the PS4.

What about Way of the Warrior? :v

The PS2 classics has to be one of the biggest balls dropped by Sony this gen. Should've just ported over the HD collection from PS3.

Not sure how I feel about this one. I'll be super happy to have access to these games again, but why not just re-release the HD collection on PS4? Hoping these aren't more than $10.

GeeTeeCee

I already own the PS3 HD trilogy, so I'll probably only go for Jak X (and maybe The Precursor Legacy).

At this point I kinda also want The Lost Frontier just so I can finally satisfy my curiosity.

killroy87

Kinda bullshit that I need to pay for these again, if I bought them on PS3. If Nintendo gets held over the fire for this, Sony should too.

LAA

An excellent decision on Sony's part! Xbone BC is terrific and Sony has dropped the ball entirely on it. It's embarrassing.

Except a reason people like X1 BC, (at least me and I'm sure many others), is you can insert the disc for the game and get access to the port or if you own it digitally you can just download the game on X1 now.
PS expects you to buy it again each time, that's something I wish they'd address, but doubt it with them pushing PS Now more.

silva1991

I'm 99% sure you don't realize there were games from Naughty Dog on Apple II, Sega Genesis and 3DO.

All we need is CTR and the PS4 will have every Sony Naughty Dog game. Here's to getting Way of the Warrior rights from Activision (?) and Rings of Power from EA.

I know they developed games before Crash. I'm only talking about their known games for Sony.

krae_man

Never played Jak X so I might get that.

Already have the PS3 collection so I don't need to buy these again individually at a higher price.

Why not just port the PS3 remaster? I'd rather spend money on that then this. It's not like this is free BC.

As people mentioned, what is the difference in the PS3/Vita remaster except for the 720p and trophy support? Which this PS2 Classics port will have? (the PS4 port may even have better resolution than 720p)

Unknown?

So, its emulating the PS2 games?
Wont the PS3 HD remaster still look better then?

Plus the Ratchet one is on PS3 too.
Just keep a PS3 hooked up with the games downloaded, its what I do
I don't think they did any upgrades to that collection other than a res bump which this has as well.

It's weird that they're porting the PS2 versions over to PS4 when you can get the games in HD on the PS3.

I'm getting cross-eyed here. Oh well, I've never played Jak X so I might grab that at some point.

rjc571

Banned
Awesome! Is there any chance the PS2 emulator on the PS4 could help mitigate the framerate drops and screen tearing present in Jak 2 and Jak 3? They ran like a dream on the PS2 in the smaller mission-based areas, but the city/desert hub areas were pretty rough.

_Rob_

It's weird that they're porting the PS2 versions over to PS4 when you can get the games in HD on the PS3.

I'm getting cross-eyed here. Oh well, I've never played Jak X so I might grab that at some point.

As long as the PS2 - PS4 versions run better than the Vita ports I'll be happy.

KalBalboa

Banned
I love the original Jak & Daxter. It's up there with Mario 64 for me in terms of delivering sheer 3D platforming joy.

Mixed feelings on this being a PS2 on PS4 release and not a port/remake a la the PS3 versions, which I thought were great, but we'll have to see how it performs. Digital Foundry will have some homework ahead of them.

Unknown?

Except a reason people like X1 BC, (at least me and I'm sure many others), is you can insert the disc for the game and get access to the port or if you own it digitally you can just download the game on X1 now.
PS expects you to buy it again each time, that's something I wish they'd address, but doubt it with them pushing PS Now more.
360 games are still readily available but most of the population doesn't have their old PS2 collection. A much larger percentage still have their 360 games though.

rjc571

Banned
As long as the PS2 - PS4 versions run better than the Vita ports I'll be happy.

That's a really low bar lol, the Vita ports ran at like a quarter of the framerate as they did on the PS2.

I don't think they did any upgrades to that collection other than a res bump which this has as well.

I think the FOV was zoomed in on the PS3 in all three games, meaning the PS2 games emulated on PS4 should be superior in all respects

Top Bottom