• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jak and Daxter PS2 Trilogy (and Jak X) coming to PS4 via PS2 Classics

Meh, I already have the PS3 collection. But Jak X is really fucking good.

I hate that they left out Lost Frontier though, which was ported to PS2. I know I'm alone in this but that was not a bad game, especially for those of us who got tired of the GTA Jak games it was a welcomed break.

The HD Remaster weren't great and had a lot of issues. (Glitches, Bugs, framerate issues, yes, even on PS3 etc.) The Sly and R&C remasters are much better, on both plattforms.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Didn't that remaster suck? Or was it only bad on Vita
They were poorly done. Sub HD on PS3 and sub-native on Vita. On top of that, they were 30FPS with drops, on Vita.

Won't these be worse than the PS3 remastered?
Highly doubt it. These emulated releases generally have much higher framerate than the originals (especially on PS4 Pro w/boost mode), and are also rendered in 1080p. The PS3 remasters of J&D series had worse frame rate than the originals, and were sub-720p.

vypek

I heard Jak 2 is dumb hard.

Its noticeably harder than 1 and 3 are. Not helped that there are a lot of other things that can be considered a problem besides the difficulty.

I'm pretty sure on PS3 I glitched Jak 2 and went to hard difficulty/hero mode sooner and it gave me a pretty unpleasant experience. lol

Same level geometry assets.

Source? Because VV developed the whole game from the ground up.

EDIT: And even if there IS a source, this is still not classified as a ND game. You wouldn't see ND's logo anywhere in the game.

EDIT 2: Found source.

Cool always wanted to play these again and I didn't have consistent access to a PS3 last gen. I didn't actually beat Jak and Daxter and Jak 2 back in the day so now I can rectify that.

Pachimari

I'm getting Jak X for sure as that was the only one I missed out on.

But I would rather the PS3 remaster than these PS2 classics. Won't they look blurred, stretched or pixelated emulated on PS4?

The HD Remaster weren't great and had a lot of issues. (Glitches, Bugs, framerate issues, yes, even on PS3 etc.) The Sly and R&C remasters are much better, on both plattforms.

The Ratchet remasters were actually worse. Tons of bugs that weren't in the originals, ruined character models, occasional slowdown, menus not formatted for widescreen, and the Deadlocked remaster was practically broken.

Unknown?

EDIT: And even if there IS a source, this is still not classified as a ND game. You wouldn't see ND's logo anywhere in the game.
No they did not. They used the original geometry then overlayed new stuff over it to keep it original and not deviate too much.

Schneider

Jak is one of those IP that should be allowed to stay dead with dignity. Lost Frontier was already pretty bad.

Before the R&C remake I would've agreed with you, but considering that is one of my favourite games to be recently released, one could hope for a decent reboot

The Ratchet remasters were actually worse. Tons of bugs that weren't in the originals, ruined character models, occasional slowdown, menus not formatted for widescreen, and the Deadlocked remaster was practically broken.

And all of those issues are into Jak & Daxter aswell, especially with 2 and 3. But R&C atleast ran with 1080p iirc, J&D however are subHD. But let's be honest, they are both poorly made. Only the Sly Trilogy was remastered decently by Sanzaru Games.

But in the end, it nowhere near to a Bluepoint remaster.

The PS2 emulations have the potential to be the best versions.

No they did not. They used the original geometry then overlayed new stuff over it to keep it original and not deviate too much.

Okay I found a source myself.

Still, it's a VV game. They are the ones developing it, not ND. Not to mention VV can add one or two things of their own.

Well for one thing, It's $10 for all 3 games.

Errr... it wasn't $10 at launch? You honestly think Sony will charge us $10 if they port the HD Collection to PS4?

Magwik

Banned
Jak and Daxter is probably one of the few series where brute forcing an emulator is more optimal than porting over the engines natively. The 'Making of' for the Collection makes the code sound like a fucking nightmare to work with.

Desmond

BOUGHT

Was gonna finally buy the ps3 one.
What about the PSP/PS2 one too? There's no easy way to play that at the moment.

I wouldn't have expected that to show up at all, the MGS3 version wasn't available in any of the remasters.

I'm pretty sure Sony has some sort of policy where the PS Classics' original games cannot be modified in anyway.

It's the reason why Mega Man Legends took forever to come out on PSN, there was a product placement Capcom could not take out. And why Tekken 3 still has not been rereleased there either, Gon.

KalBalboa

Banned
why not port the remastered from PS3 to PS4?

The effort get the PS2 games running on PS3 was nothing short of a miracle, watch this:
Jak & Daxter Collection Behind The Scenes (18 minutes)

The original game on PS2 actually used the PS1 chip inside the console for every inch of sound processing, meaning the PS3 version of that game was simultaneously acting as a PS2 and as a PS1 inside a PS2. If the PS3 was X86 maybe they could easily get the work they did for that collection up and running on the PS4, but it seems like they really had to jump through some crazy hoops to get those games running properly on a cell.

Maybe I'm just talking out of my ass, though.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This is what the PS3 remaster looked like. Can't remember exact resolution, but it was clearly sub-720p. It was not good.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-13-jak-and-daxter-trilogy-screens-for-playstation-3

GMUNoOG.jpg

Jak & Daxter HD on the PS3 was my first-ever Platinum trophy. Definitely in for all of these when they drop. I never played Jak X Combat Racing back on PS2, so that'll be a first for me!

Kind of strange considering that there are better versions out there, but I guess its easy for them to do this and people who skipped the PS3 last gen can now have access to theses games. Might pick up Jak X

krae_man

Okay I found a source myself.

Still, it's a VV game. They are the ones developing it, not ND. Not to mention VV can add one or two things of their own.

Errr... it wasn't $10 at launch? You honestly think Sony will charge us $10 if they port the HD Collection to PS4?

On the one hand, that's true. On the other hand, It's still available on the store for purchase at the reduced price and it's just the same selling point: "In HD with Trophies"

Onaco

EDIT 2: Found source.

Every Vicarious Visions game had Naughty Dog staff helping to some degree, and were credited in the games. Some designers from Naughty Dog even worked on assets for Crash Nitro Kart (I think it had to do with concept art, track design, or art. Can't remember right now.) Yes it's not technically going to flat-out say Naughty Dog, but they will probably get credited.

Megatron

Will this be the same trophy list as the ps3 version? I gave up trying to collect every fucking orb in the first game.

Top Bottom