• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan offers to lend US half the cost of 'Super Maglev train between DC and Baltimore

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Sloth

Banned
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...v-train-between-Washington-and-Baltimore.html

Julian Ryall said:
The Japanese government has promised to lend the United States half of the cost of building the first "Super-Maglev" train, reducing travel time between Baltimore and Washington DC to just 15 minutes.

Tokyo is so keen to show off its technology that it will provide loans for half the estimated $8 billion (£5bn) cost of installing the tracks, Japan's Asahi newspaper said on Tuesday.

The American federal government is keen on the project, according to Central Japan Railway Co., and state authorities are especially enthusiastic.

"The national government has shown interest,” a source at the company said. “But a number of the states in the north-east corridor — such as Maryland — are particularly keen for faster rail links and more advanced technology.”

The 37-mile journey between Washington DC and Baltimore presently takes one hour by conventional rail link, and the Japanese government and Central Japan Railway Co. hope to use the project to showcase what it believes will be the transportation technology of the future.

Eventually, a 453-mile track linking the US capital with Boston will be constructed.

The proposal for the Maglev route was first put forward by Shinzo Abe, the Japanese prime minister, during talks with President Barack Obama in February and interest is increasing among states in the north-east of the US, according to Central Japan Railway Co."

I want to propose that (the United States) introduce the Maglev train system to represent Japan-US cooperation," said Mr Abe at the meeting.

Mr Abe has devoted effort to travelling around the world to promote the export of his country's infrastructure technology. The latest proposal for extending a loan to the United States is part of such efforts.

Maglev vehicles have no wheels and are propelled along their track through electromagnetic pull – doing away with friction and, hence, providing a smoother and quieter ride at a faster speed.

Conventional Maglev technology is already in use on a number of short routes around the world, but is limited to a speed of around 267mph.

Japanese "Super-Maglev" trains are already operating on test tracks at speeds of more than 310mph.

The latest Series L0 maglev was unveiled in late 2012 and measures nearly 92 feet long – of which 49 feet forms an aerodynamic nose section – and is fitted with 24 seats. A full 16-carriage train will be able to carry 1,000 passengers.

The state-of-the-art trains are scheduled to go into use in 2027 and link Shinagawa Station, in central Tokyo, with Nagoya. At present, it takes 90 minutes for a conventional "shinkansen" bullet train to complete the journey between that two stations, although that will be cut to 40 minutes by the new technology.

The aim is to extend the line to Osaka by 2045 and the cost of the new lines has been put at Y8.44 trillion (£64 billion).

The Japanese government is hoping to have the US maglev operational within the next decade and that it will serve to encourage other parts of the US and countries around the world to purchase Japanese mass transit technology.

I wonder if this was spurred on by worries of Musk's hyperloop tech potentially gaining traction in the future.

Jarmel

Banned
We should be installing stuff like this or the Hyperloop all around the country. We need a better transportation infrastructure.

bigkrev

When I was in college in the Baltimore area, I would have killed to have access to this. Getting to DC from Baltimore wasn't really something you could do if you didn't have a car that could drive to the nearest DC Metro stations in College Park or Bethesda

Pennywise

Mag = magnet
Lev = levitation

I still don't understand monorails though.

fiYMgfi.jpg

El Sloth

Banned
Man this would be awesome

Not that I expect it to happen anytime soon :(
To take things to a completely unrelated and nerdy aside: think of the possibilites for FG scenes on the East Coast that tend to get overshadowed by NY if getting around the North East was faster and cheaper (well, relative to gas prices)!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
To take things to a completely unrelated and nerdy aside: think of the possibilites for FG scenes on the East Coast that tend to get overshadowed by NY if getting around the North East was faster and cheaper (well, relative to gas prices)!

If you were really apart of the fgc you'd never call it "nerdy."

Do it for the fuck of it. One Saturday I didn't hit any traffic on I-95 and got from DC to Baltimore in around 30 minutes. I had to rent a car so obviously a train would be better for me. I might actually visit Bmore more than once every five years... probably not.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
why does a japanese train have a russian sounding name? maglev. hmm.

Some people will try to trick you that it stands for "Magnetic Levitation" but it actually is a corruption of the russian word Магл which is more commonly known as muggle...as in a non magical person from the world of harry potter.

Calling someone a Маглев is basically the highest form of insult, it's the russian version of an otaku for wizards if that makes sense.

I have no idea what I am talking about

Even if I don't live in the area, I would LOVE to see major investment in light rail and alternative transportation. It always feels like these kinds of initiatives are an affront to some people.

El Sloth

Banned
8 billion dollars for a train to go 40 miles. Thats a lot.
You have to take into consideration what traffic between the two normally looks like. From what I hear, things can get very congested.

More importantly, however, is that you have to keep in mind that this is an investment in the beginning of track that will eventually span the North East corridor.

If you were really apart of the fgc you'd never call it "nerdy."
It's as nerdy as sports, which is to say "very". Anyone who says otherwise is fooling themsleves.

Some people will try to trick you that it stands for "Magnetic Levitation" but it actually is a corruption of the russian word Магл which is more commonly known as muggle...as in a non magical person from the world of harry potter.

Calling someone a Маглев is basically the highest form of insult, it's the russian version of an otaku for wizards if that makes sense.

I have no idea what I am talking about

Fucking lol, thought you were Serious for a second there.

entremet

Doesn't Japan have other pressing matters that could use $4 billion?

They're thinking long term. If this is successful they work with other countries looking to upgrade their infrastructure, which will help their economy by winning more contracts.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
Well they spent $6+ billion to link DC and Dulles by metro, a 15 minute maglev rail to Baltimore at only $4billion sounds like a steal.

We need more future trains!
I say we take the deal only if Japan offers to staff the train as well.
I'd love to see a maid train to DC

bigkrev

8 billion dollars for a train to go 40 miles. Thats a lot.

DC is a city where most people with any political aspirations in their life will be working out of at some point in their life. The problem is that the nice areas are super expensive, and the cheaper areas are actively on fire most of the time. While Baltimore proper isn't much better, the areas surrounding it are relatively affordable and wonderful places to live.

Also, driving in DC is almost a non-starter. The public transit, while pricey, is comprehensive and convenient. It's getting into the city proper that is the main issue- right now, if your living outside of the Metro area, you need to use the MARC train which has a limited schedule (no weekends, no nights), or pay a bunch of money to Amtrak in. If they want to demo the technology, I can think of no place better to try it out.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I can't think of any two important cities that could use a maglev, that are that close together.

Anything further apart and the cost skyrockets even more.

True. It'll make transportation easier for Marlo's crew.

Dude, as someone who has gotten into some nerdy conversations over baseball stats, it totally is.

I said ok.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Fucking lol, thought you were Serious for a second there.

Hahaha well Магл really is how Muggle did get translated in the russian editions I think, so I just kinda went with that for a lame joke :p

But more on tropic, I don't actually believe this program will get funded at least until the Silver line of the metro is completed.

Honestly who knows when that will be, that line has been planned and under construction since I moved to this area back in 2001.

Dougald

Ok but there is already a perfectly fine rail line between Baltimore and DC. I've used it many times.

Does it do it in 15 minutes?

Making the world smaller opens up a lot of possibilities

By that logic we shouldn't have built the channel tunnel between the UK and France because we could still use the ferry

DC is a city where most people with any political aspirations in their life will be working out of at some point in their life. The problem is that the nice areas are super expensive, and the cheaper areas are actively on fire most of the time. While Baltimore proper isn't much better, the areas surrounding it are relatively affordable and wonderful places to live.

Also, driving in DC is almost a non-starter. The public transit, while pricey, is comprehensive and convenient. It's getting into the city proper that is the main issue- right now, if your living outside of the Metro area, you need to use the MARC train which has a limited schedule (no weekends, no nights), or pay a bunch of money to Amtrak in. If they want to demo the technology, I can think of no place better to try it out.

I'm not saying I don't think the technology wouldn't be an improvement. I just think its way too expensive.

Edit: Guys above me asking, its a little over 30 minutes point to point.

We should be installing stuff like this or the Hyperloop all around the country. We need a better transportation infrastructure.

I wonder if this was spurred on by worries of Musk's hyperloop tech potentially gaining traction in the future.

Yeah . . . damn it. We should go balls to the wall and try building a hyperloop. At worst, it would go over budget like everything else. But it would be interesting, it would create jobs, it would attract jobs, it would be a new industry, doesn't require fossil fuels, etc. It is a great idea . . . a high-speed, low energy, high-tech transport system.

Well spoken. I currently live in a fairly pricey apartment (even low-priced by Montgomery County standards) because I need to live near metro without wanting to spend an hour+ driving and then another 45 minutes riding each day. A conveniently placed maglev with extremely fast travel times could open up opportunities for us to move out to more rural locations in Maryland that are cheaper.

injurai

Banned
I'm not saying I don't think the technology wouldn't be an improvement. I just think its way too expensive.

Edit: Guys above me asking, its a little over 30 minutes point to point.

To add, Maglev's have lowered upkeep costs from the reduction or absence of friction on the railing.

So there is an importance to investing in this sort of infrastructure for the long term.

Honestly we should have been really investing in infrastructure through the recession years, and we still need to be doing it now.

Jacob

If they eventually link the entire Boston-Washington corridor with trains of this speed, that would be amazing. Please help us save our transportation infrastructure in the Northeast, Japan.

WillyFive

Yeah . . . damn it. We should go balls to the wall and try building a hyperloop. At worst, it would go over budget like everything else. But it would be interesting, it would create jobs, it would attract jobs, it would be a new industry, doesn't require fossil fuels, etc. It is a great idea . . . a high-speed, low energy, high-tech transport system.

Makes too much sense, would end up rejected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom