• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan offers to lend US half the cost of 'Super Maglev train between DC and Baltimore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parch

Should have been done decades ago, but you know, America gotta maintain spending on that war monger rep.

I'm not saying we can't. But at the current state of US debt and other factors. Your going to have a hard time pitching the cost.

Um... we were up to our eyeballs in debt when we started building the national highway system. Not a legitimate excuse. The extremist Republicans is the only thing stopping this from happening.

Jarmel

Banned
It still blows my mind that the US has no proper highspeed railway. Like the TGV in France, ICE in Germany or the Shinkansen in Japan. One from Boston to Florida. One from Florida to LA and up to Seattle. From Seattle back to Boston.

The problem is the size of the country. Japan could fit in just California. We don't get a lot of stuff because of the pure landmass size of the country.

The problem is the size of the country. Japan could fit in just California. We don't get a lot of stuff because of the pure landmass size of the country.

What's the excuse for not implementing this at local levels? Example: Los Anglees <-> Las Vegas, Los Angeles <-> San Diego, Tallahassee <-> Orlando <-> Miami, or Dallas <-> Houston?

Yamauchi

Banned
There are too many dim-witted conservatives in power in this country for the US to ever have good rail transport. They slam public funding for rail, but ignore the fact that car travel is massively subsidized at the local, state, and federal level. At the federal level alone, the net subsidy (taking into account the gas tax and other automobile-related revenue) for highways is now at about $700 billion:

road-pay-self-graph.JPG

It is estimated the total subsidy automobile drivers receive is about $2.10 per gallon. They did an extensive study in Wisconsin and found that the annual subsidy for roads at the state and local level in that state alone was over $2 billion. So if you take that at a national scale and factor in federal subsidies as well, roads receive total subsidies of well over $100 billion annually in the US. You can read more about that here. That, by the way, doesn't even begin to take into account indirect subsidies such as free parking, etc.

So yes, the US can afford to build high speed rail.

James93

What's the excuse for not implementing this at local levels? Example: Los Anglees <-> Las Vegas, Los Angeles <-> San Diego, Tallahassee <-> Orlando <-> Miami, or Dallas <-> Houston?

its cost. A line from Dallas to Houston, is would be like 46 billion. Yes the poster posted the US subsizes cars, but the cost magically doesn't go away

It still blows my mind that the US has no proper highspeed railway. Like the TGV in France, ICE in Germany or the Shinkansen in Japan. One from Boston to Florida. One from Florida to LA and up to Seattle. From Seattle back to Boston.

I wonder if there's an airline lobby that has anything to do with it. Legitimately.

KevinRo

There are more countries than those three. Look at China. Theirs is humongous.

BPoole

Hahaha metro buddies from GAF, yeah my daily commute is drive from rockville to grosvenor station, park there ride metro to faragut north.

12.50 a day before gas, but way cheaper than finding parking in DC and less stressful than driving through georgetown / friendship heights into K street.

Shady Grove does sound a bit further out compared to Grosvenor but that still sounds way convenient if you're spending less on housing, very nice. I like the Gaithersburg area especially the RIO cinema area for just getting a drink on a friday with some friends in a relax environment.
You and Adventure Mike live right by me. I live in Derwood right off Muncaster Mill Rd.

And?

Isn't California the 7th greatest financial power in the world (if it were a country)?

The states could combine investments.

akira28

But why the fuck would I want to go to Baltimore?

vv: true, they're talking about billions of dollars to essentially build one subway stop in Virginia.

Valhelm

contribute something
I think he means people will shoot it down due to irrational hatred of our President, which has been the status quo on most rail projects proposed so far.

Ah, thanks. I assumed the poster expected Obama to block the legislation for ideological reasons, like Florida governor Rick Scott did last year.

Gallbaro

Banned
While I love masturbating to trains as much as the next guy.

Build cities first, then the trains to get between them. Although as the loan proposes only the East Coast is ready for any sort of intercity rail, the east coast has cities, not suburbs with office parks.

8 billion dollars for a train to go 40 miles. Thats a lot.

That will get you 4 miles of subway in NYC.
Liberal NIMBY's are the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom