• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

hwalker84

If i missed putting your album in the OP let me know. I went back the last few pages but didn't see any. Maybe i need to go back farther because I thought I was missing some.

tokyo proper is dead during golden week comparatively speaking. had to run into my office this week and it was a breeze. most everyone goes back to their families for a few days. the thing is not everyone in tokyo is from far away, and so the surrounding prefectures overflow. come out to koshigaya laketown yesterday or the day before and it was a madhouse. literally cant breathe. but starting a bit today and by next week it will be back to normal levels and nothing special, and then tokyo will regain its usual crowds. golden week is actually a fine time to be here, but tourists probably wouldn't realize either way.

Yeah, I was going to Tokyo but also Osaka, Kyoto and Nara. Good to hear nothing will be extraordinarily busy though... Well, any more busy than Tokyo usually is, anyway.

3 weeks to my second trip to Japan.
And I legitimately feel like I don't care.

Oh? Feeling negative about it or just unhyped?

Oh? Feeling negative about it or just unhyped?

A bit unhyped. My first trip was to Osaka and Nara during Golden Week, which was an absolute blast. I'm sure I'll get hype as I get there. And the trip will be MUCH easier. No 10 hour flights - > 17 hour layovers in the Middle East -> 10 hour flights. And no hostels! And no foreign credit cards!

Tabris

I wouldn't mind meeting up in a couple weeks under some conditions. Namely I want to do something cool, not go to some creepy Akiba cafe.

I'm flying to Dubai next week, then I'll be back and we have nothing planned after that.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I should probably start wearing something that identifies me when i'm in Aki as i am there most lunch times and i could probably help people out

Jimrpg

In preparation of my trip in October I decided to upload some of my favorite pics from my May 2014 trip.

Hope you enjoy them everyone.

cherry blossoms in Suganuma, Japanese Alps

mossy grounds at Gio-Ji in Kyoto

street scene in Akihabara

a stall at the flea market amidst the International Forum, Tokyo

Tsukiji Fish Market

shooting the shoot in Gion, Kyoto

the perfect garden view at Sho-ren-in, Kyoto

leavy greens behind the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building

a flower vendor at the Farmers Market, UN University, Tokyo

Those are some beautiful pics Fritz, can I ask what camera/lens you used?

Fritz

Ughhhh I can't find any men's sukkah jackets on cat street

I just googled that for you, seems the savest bet is in Ueno

Thanks to their popularity with travelers, you’ll find a ton for sale over at touristy spots like Ueno’s Ameyoko market. There’s an outlet for Okuma Shoukai there, which claims to be the oldest Sukajan shop in Japan. And there does seem to be some evidence to their 60 year claim.

Those are some beautiful pics Fritz, can I ask what camera/lens you used?

Thank you! I remember being a bit down after I had returned back then because I felt the pics were all trash. Revisting them lately I am really fond of them. I used a very "simple" digital camera, a Samsung EX1. The advantages are that it is build real sturdy and compact and lets you do a lot of settings manually. Worst downside is definitely the lack of live-view.

Contemplating getting a reflex cam for this year's trip since they are much more affordable now

Tabris

Someone told me how there's speciality ear cleaning Salons in Tokyo. I've never had my ears cleaned outside of just normal q-tip and normal washing in shower, and wouldn't mind trying.

Can anyone recommend one that isn't some creepy fetish one but a professional one. I don't care if it's a girl or guy who cleans my ears, I just wouldn't mind getting them done.

Zoe

Someone told me how there's speciality ear cleaning Salons in Tokyo. I've never had my ears cleaned outside of just normal q-tip and normal washing in shower, and wouldn't mind trying.

Can anyone recommend one that isn't some creepy fetish one but a professional one. I don't care if it's a girl or guy who cleans my ears, I just wouldn't mind getting them done.

Are you Asian? Do you have dry earwax?

I should probably start wearing something that identifies me when i'm in Aki as i am there most lunch times and i could probably help people out

Wear a jacket with a big neogaf logo on the back. Wear a nametag that says "Breckin" on it. Wear a printed out bish face.

Be GafMan.

cj_iwakura

Dragon ball, art of Godzilla, some random one that looked cool, a Spirited Away one, a few gundam books and the book cj wanted

I could have gone absolutely insane at Mandarake Nakano. They had dozens of Gundam books, and at least five different Votoms ones. I had to limit myself to the game section, and I still walked away with four. The prices at Mandarake Galaxy were insanely good. I think they're used books, but they're in immaculate shape; you'd never know.

Thanks, by the way. :D

I could have gone absolutely insane at Mandarake Nakano. They had dozens of Gundam books, and at least five different Votoms ones. I had to limit myself to the game section, and I still walked away with four. The prices at Mandarake Galaxy were insanely good. I think they're used books, but they're in immaculate shape; you'd never know.

Thanks, by the way. :D

No problem.

God, I actually can't wait to go home because that means I'll stop spending money. Its like being 10 years old but having a bank account. Its insane. I just unraveled in my deepest otaku desires

Fritz

Just stumbled upon this very cool side for Tokyo sights and activities and wanted to share

http://100tokyo.jp/

The Photo Tours are gold as far as I can tell.

P.S.: i do have a few questions and I hope someone here can help me out.

Has anyone been to the oedo onsen monogatari? How much time does one spend there? What else is a must see in Odaiba (apart from Gundam obviously)?

I am thinking about going to Miraikan in the morning, then spend the afternoon at the Onsen theme park and then hit the views of Rainbow Bridge at dawn.

Can anyone of you recommend an app where I can mark points on a map of Tokyo and share that map amongst devices?

Just stumbled upon this very cool side for Tokyo sights and activities and wanted to share

http://100tokyo.jp/

The Photo Tours are gold as far as I can tell.

P.S.: i do have a few questions and I hope someone here can help me out.

Has anyone been to the oedo onsen monogatari? How much time does one spend there? What else is a must see in Odaiba (apart from Gundam obviously)?

I am thinking about going to Miraikan in the morning, then spend the afternoon at the Onsen theme park and then hit the views of Rainbow Bridge at dawn.

Can anyone of you recommend an app where I can mark points on a map of Tokyo and share that map amongst devices?

In Odaiba I was going to go to the museum of innovation (or whatever it's called) and the Toyota tech facility. I can't recall their exact names unfortunately. I'll check later tonight.

Fritz

In Odaiba I was going to go to the museum of innovation (or whatever it's called) and the Toyota tech facility. I can't recall their exact names unfortunately. I'll check later tonight.

That museum of innovation should be the Miraikan. It gets a lot of praise. Worth the visit?

That museum of innovation should be the Miraikan. It gets a lot of praise. Worth the visit?

If you like robots and stuff then it's good. Make sure to be there at a time when the Asimo demonstration is happening. At 11:00, 13:00, 14:00 and 16:00 normally. And you can check out the creepy uncanny valley androids as well.

Fritz

If you like robots and stuff then it's good. Make sure to be there at a time when the Asimo demonstration is happening. At 11:00, 13:00, 14:00 and 16:00 normally. And you can check out the creepy uncanny valley androids as well.

Hm, kinda indifferent towards robots. I thought it was more about food printing, future transportation, new energy sources, this kinda stuff. I do fancy the Asimo performance though.

JRBechard

I just booked a ticket from Montreal to Tokyo, from August 31 to Sept 12 for 526$. Crazy! Last time (the first time I went to japan) it cost 1400$ and I was pretty happy. I'd like to do Mount Fuji this time but I'm not sure if it is in-season. AHH!

I just booked a ticket from Montreal to Tokyo, from August 31 to Sept 12 for 526$. Crazy! Last time (the first time I went to japan) it cost 1400$ and I was pretty happy. I'd like to do Mount Fuji this time but I'm not sure if it is in-season. AHH!

Where did you find the deal at? If I may ask.

3 days until departure, the fear that I'm going to get lost at the airport upon arrival is increasing lol.

I need to exchange a JR pass while I'm there, figured I'd do it at the airport and set it for activation later in the trip. Is this hard to communicate this to the staff, or should I just exchange the pass on the day I start using shinkansens?

3 days until departure, the fear that I'm going to get lost at the airport upon arrival is increasing lol.

I need to exchange a JR pass while I'm there, figured I'd do it at the airport and set it for activation later in the trip. Is this hard to communicate this to the staff, or should I just exchange the pass on the day I start using shinkansens?

Nah, don't worry. All the ticket office staff at the airport should be able to understand English. Depending on the airport they sometimes hand out a form where you fill in the details of wanted dates and stuff as well before the exchange.

I'd recommend waiting until later to exchange the pass if there's long queues at the airport though (depends on what airport and time of arrival). No need to stand in queue for 1+ hours if you're not going to use it right away :p

Enjoy it!

Been back for a day. My coworkers liked the gatchaballs I got them. My jet lag is unbelievable though omg.

Nah, don't worry. All the ticket office staff at the airport should be able to understand English. Depending on the airport they sometimes hand out a form where you fill in the details of wanted dates and stuff as well before the exchange.

I'd recommend waiting until later to exchange the pass if there's long queues at the airport though (depends on what airport and time of arrival). No need to stand in queue for 1+ hours if you're not going to use it right away :p

Cheers, It's Narita and I arrive at 7pm-ish I think, I'll have to double check.

Enjoy it!

Been back for a day. My coworkers liked the gatchaballs I got them. My jet lag is unbelievable though omg.

I will! hopefully, haha.

Luckily my flight there is 11am to 7pm, and back is 8.30pm to 6.30 am. So the times aren't too weird and I plan on sleeping on the plane on the return flight.

Holy crap, I'm a complete mess. Couldn't sleep more than an hour or two at a time last night. Hoping tonight goes better.

Basically the same. Fell right asleep after work, woke up at 8:30 thinking it was the morning. Fell back asleep at 11:30, woke up at 2. Fell back asleep at 3, woke back up at 5 and said fuck it and just got up -___-

I adjusted pretty well, just made sure I stayed home all that day and slept when I got tired.

Yeaaah, I had to go to work the next day. And I'm driving 5 hours to Atlanta tonight for a music festival. What a mess lol

Cheers, It's Narita and I arrive at 7pm-ish I think, I'll have to double check.

That's sort of late and Narita has had the longest JR Pass queues of the airports in Japan I've arrived at.

I'd rather focus on just getting into Tokyo and my accommodation in that case if it were me, since you won't use the pass on the first day and you can exchange it at any of the major stations like Ueno, Tokyo, Shinjuku, Ikebukuro and Shinagawa. Usually no or minimal queues in the stations as well, unlike at Narita.

That's sort of late and Narita has had the longest JR Pass queues of the airports in Japan I've arrived at.

I'd rather focus on just getting into Tokyo and my accommodation in that case if it were me, since you won't use the pass on the first day and you can exchange it at any of the major stations like Ueno, Tokyo, Shinjuku, Ikebukuro and Shinagawa. Usually no or minimal queues in the stations as well, unlike at Narita.

Ok no worries. I already have a shuttle bus booked to tokyo station and I'm staying like 100m from ueno station, plus a late check in confirmation with my hotel.

So hopefully the first night won't fall apart haha.

Had to go through tokyo station 1 day before my pass needs to start, so I'll do it then.

Top Bottom