• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Still waking up at 1AM. Didn't even drive to Atlanta because I was so tired at work ;__;
And to top it off, my copy of Lost in Translation is at work...and its gone from streaming

Phew, I'm so glad I bought the Asian Kungfu Generation CD from Tower Records. So many feels as a 14 year old and going "I think I'm gonna grow my hair out" thanks to this band.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are traveling to Tokyo from May 22nd through May 26th and we're staying in Shinjuku. I know this thread is a treasure trove of info, but I was wondering if someone could answer the following questions for me:

-We're planning on staying only really in the Tokyo area, probably not doing any day trips to any of the other areas 1-2 hours away. What's our best option for buying a train pass that will work within only Tokyo?

-Best reco for airport travel from Narita --> Shinjuku?

-Best wireless sim card to buy to plug into my unlocked Verizon iphone?

-We're planning on staying only really in the Tokyo area, probably not doing any day trips to any of the other areas 1-2 hours away. What's our best option for buying a train pass that will work within only Tokyo?

-Best reco for airport travel from Narita --> Shinjuku?

-Best wireless sim card to buy to plug into my unlocked Verizon iphone?

No need to get a train pass if you're only staying in Tokyo. Get a Pasmo/Suica card for easy travel though.

Get the discount NEX round trip tickets for Narita-Shinjuku directly:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/nex_round.html

Make sure to check the time table if you're arriving or departing at odd hours though :p

What sim card to get depends on what you're planning to do and how much data you need.

Or you could just use the standard train, it'll save a fair amount of money. Just takes a bit longer.

Well, you'll save 1540 JPY total at most, but you'll also need to do a transfer at Nippori (Keisei+JR Yamanote) instead of just taking one train directly. If you're travelling in the rush hour periods with luggage it's not that comfortable compared to just taking the NEX.

cj_iwakura

Well, you'll save 1540 JPY total at most, but you'll also need to do a transfer at Nippori (Keisei+JR Yamanote) instead of just taking one train directly. If you're travelling in the rush hour periods with luggage it's not that comfortable compared to just taking the NEX.
That's a big difference if you're on the budget that I was. :p

Just stumbled upon this very cool side for Tokyo sights and activities and wanted to share

http://100tokyo.jp/

The Photo Tours are gold as far as I can tell.

P.S.: i do have a few questions and I hope someone here can help me out.

Has anyone been to the oedo onsen monogatari? How much time does one spend there? What else is a must see in Odaiba (apart from Gundam obviously)?

I am thinking about going to Miraikan in the morning, then spend the afternoon at the Onsen theme park and then hit the views of Rainbow Bridge at dawn.

Can anyone of you recommend an app where I can mark points on a map of Tokyo and share that map amongst devices?

Late but if you are in to cars the Toyota History Garage is pretty cool.

Raw64life

I'll be in Japan for two weeks next month. If I'm spending 2 days in Osaka and spending the rest of the trip in Tomyo, which rail pass makes the most sense for me?

Edit: also, what do I need to have to be able to charge my 3DS and iPhone?

I'll be in Japan for two weeks next month. If I'm spending 2 days in Osaka and spending the rest of the trip in Tomyo, which rail pass makes the most sense for me?

Edit: also, what do I need to have to be able to charge my 3DS and iPhone?

You mean Tokyo? What airport are you arriving at and leaving from?

What country is your 3DS and iPhone from?

Raw64life

^ thanks. That is helpful.

I'm arriving at Narita June 17 and staying at my hotel (Hotel Niwa) in Tokyo that night. Then I'm going to Osaka the next morning (18th) and plan on coming back the next night (19th) (yes I realize this is somewhat poor planning). Other than that I'll be in Tokyo the whole time.

^ thanks. That is helpful.

I'm arriving at Narita June 17 and staying at my hotel (Hotel Niwa) in Tokyo that night. Then I'm going to Osaka the next morning (18th) and plan on coming back the next night (19th) (yes I realize this is somewhat poor planning). Other than that I'll be in Tokyo the whole time.

If you're staying at Hotel Niwa all the time while in Tokyo you could save a bit of money by taking the Keisei Airport Express/SkyAccess from Narita towards Haneda, get off at Mita and then take the subway to Suidobashi. You'd need to change trains anyway if you take the NEX to Tokyo Station since your hotel is not near one of the NEX stops.

Packing now, flying out tomorrow morning. Luckily the flight is less than 10 hours, but I'm still not looking forward to it haha.

Vita status: Charging.

I watched 4 movies on the plane and was there. Easy flight.

Star Wars TFA, The Big Short, Room, and Deadpool

Yeah, I'm just waiting in departure now. Luckily the airport wifi is good enough to stream music and browse Gaf, but YouTube kept dying.

About an hour until takeoff though. I got here 3 hours before my flight just incase lol.

Yeah, I'm just waiting in departure now. Luckily the airport wifi is good enough to stream music and browse Gaf, but YouTube kept dying.

About an hour until takeoff though. I got here 3 hours before my flight just incase lol.

Have fun :)

Just driving home from Atlanta after a music festival. Still missing it badly

Had a headache during the flight and there were two screaming babies. Got out late from customs because no one infront of me had their shit ready, so when I exchanged my bus ticket I had 4 minutes to get out the front and onto the bus. I barely made it lol.

Other than all that garbage, I'm now on the keisei bus to Tokyo station and the headache is starting to ease. Wheb I get there I'm going to grab dinner and crash at the hotel, no energy to explore tonight :(

Having a look around akihabara today. The second I left the station I knew where I was going... Is it bad that I have a surprisingly good knowledge of the layout due to akiba's trip?

Edit: 9.30am and everything is closed lol got here too early.

Also some of the signage is a lot more pervy than I expected, and that's from someone who knew Akiba was like that haha

Edit2: half of the things I see make me say "I love Japan" and the other half "Damnit, Japan. Why?!"

Having fun though.

Rowena

Neo Member
Finally got everything booked! I pushed it up a week so I can got to TGS. Leaving the Sept 13 - Sept 27. Got my AirBnB booked as well. Can't wait!

Boy the police sure are nice here. They all nod or say hello when they see me and one asked if I was lost when I was looking up maps on my phone near the Skytree.

So far the only real complaint is the people who put their hands on you and try to guide you towards their seedy bars, and that often it feels like the nearest toilet is at a train station. (Which is usually a 5-10 minute walk, so it isn't too bad.)

So far the only real complaint is the people who put their hands on you and try to guide you towards their seedy bars, and that often it feels like the nearest toilet is at a train station. (Which is usually a 5-10 minute walk, so it isn't too bad.)

7/11 and Lawson toilets are better
except for the ones in Akiba where there aren't any
;P

Raw64life

My itinerary has changed again. What rail pass makes the most sense to get for this?

June 18 - Get to Tokyo
June 19 - Go to Osaka from Tokyo
June 20 - Back to Tokyo
June 25 - Go to Kyoto from Tokyo
June 26 - Back to Tokyo
June 30 - Leave

My itinerary has changed again. What rail pass makes the most sense to get for this?

Any particular reason why you couldn't do Kyoto and Osaka in 2 days instead of going back and forth?

Edit: Well, anyway... You'd need to get a 2 week JR Pass for such an itinerary, since it's 8 days total from the first day you'll use it (19th) till the last (26th). You will then also cover the NEX from Narita to Tokyo and back + most/all travel within Tokyo and Osaka.

It's still a waste of money compared to doing Kyoto and Osaka in 1 weekend though, or within 7 days total :p

Raw64life

Any particular reason why you couldn't do Kyoto and Osaka in 2 days instead of going back and forth?

Edit: Well, anyway... You'd need to get a 2 week JR Pass for such an itinerary, since it's 8 days total from the first day you'll use it (19th) till the last (26th). You will then also cover the NEX from Narita to Tokyo and back + most/all travel within Tokyo and Osaka.

It's still a waste of money compared to doing Kyoto and Osaka in 1 weekend though, or within 7 days total :p

I guess the idea was avoid Tokyo on the weekends when it would be the most crowded. I'm going to Osaka on the first weekend no matter because that part of my trip is based around seeing an NJPW show.

How much money would I stand to save if I did Osaka and Kyoto at the same time? And what rail pass should I get if I decided to go that route?

I guess the idea was avoid Tokyo on the weekends when it would be the most crowded. I'm going to Osaka on the first weekend no matter because that part of my trip is based around seeing an NJPW show.

How much money would I stand to save if I did Osaka and Kyoto at the same time? And what rail pass should I get if I decided to go that route?

Well, Kyoto gets crowded in the weekends as well :p

If you're doing Kyoto and Osaka at the same time, then get those discount Shinkansen tickets I linked to earlier:
http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/VJOPENTO1

How much you save depends on what you're going to do and how much you're travelling by JR trains and not buses, subway or other railways than JR, but just comparing JR Pass 2 weeks against those discount Shinkansen tickets saves you 24390 JPY.

Zyzyxxz

Hoping to be able to go back next year early spring. If possible 2 weeks. How would you guys divide Tokyo-Osaka/Koyoto-Hokkaido?

If I can't get the full 2 weeks I'm willing to cut out Hokkaido as I would probably only go for 2 days.

What makes the most sense?

Land Tokyo 4 days
JR> Kyoto 1-2 days
Local train> Osaka 2-3days
Fly Domestic> Hokkaido 2 days
Fly or JR> Tokyo? 2 days

June 18 - Get to Tokyo
June 20 - Back to Tokyo
June 26 - Back to Tokyo
June 30 - Leave

Seems like a waste of money going back and forth. Weekends in Tokyo aren't even that bad from my experience unless something special is going on.

Hoping to be able to go back next year early spring. If possible 2 weeks. How would you guys divide Tokyo-Osaka/Koyoto-Hokkaido?

If I can't get the full 2 weeks I'm willing to cut out Hokkaido as I would probably only go for 2 days.

Just 2 days in Hokkaido seems too little, even if you're just visiting Sapporo.

June 18 - Get to Tokyo
June 20 - Back to Tokyo
June 26 - Back to Tokyo
June 30 - Leave

Seems like a waste to not go from Osaka to Kyoto. That's pretty much what I'm doing, just train to Nara for the day from Osaka then train to Kyoto.

Currently on the Shinkansen to Osaka from Tokyo. Damn these things go fast.

"Crowded"? It's a big ass city. Is that a real concern?

OSHAN

"Crowded"? It's a big ass city. Is that a real concern?

Kyoto felt a whole heck of a lot more crowded than Tokyo did to me. People just pouring off the sidewalks there. The main places my wife and I went were Tokyo, Takayama, and Kyoto. Amazing trip. We plan on going back. Here are some pics:

VfLFE3rmKQE0kmFiC85ZwFPVxPADOqL6tenfC57Qsk0q6P0gR0f6m3_Vh2iueckdgyGygQ=w1327-h511

ry9dy7J5hwYbdJ4BGwH4TviptG1a1i1fhC4IMrEKRAYXGBOO90Y9mzfgGPIM-2dVUN3rfA=w1327-h511
A9wYqIAJCa70eO6227NLCrTz5X9ZIFMK9RyBtlBJ3sHbxy8WWJbyFyg-fzGt7yw2EUqKlA=w1327-h511
1oh6vrpX6mzLlJMdnSEnS33F1KAaT3gpCrr29ipPpzQ8hdAby-SfjL7AaAS4EEuis1rr0A=w1327-h511
9BPvHoTkACDto92Rk1TohS7hPTUpS3GaLvprq_EnmqNLTOtyjfpw4mmXo67XZEDK2mXHbA=w1327-h511
k5RBPw_ifPsq_sVbpxKfDORtTPfrPf0TgN5ldSCDxIAhWZXUWLTkQx4jFF-jtjb7sWqAgA=w1327-h511
j0T1GqBJ7mkWJB6qmTN8YSvBu7nqv3nsTeL2a1vrSbgNan3L7kgG9rpBYAxPfxLrecXMqw=w1327-h511
mDDilqGL8lFI3KuHX9UakRnhLvBOplFPLL5mlP9G2bjCT_C8gIX9YSUiuv-mw7jAZgokoA=w1327-h511
GUjDO_LaQUkesk2i9KUk5RKH5pa-VmLQuIb-yAYeb-Rh-sdEWKMWbmCjgO1qpUojXirCMQ=w1327-h511
AtcnM6UbPNm6oy2DqFPQnipTfxtMBjNZpqKElzG9saGs7lDZrc2xHgznPSyFQvBiqmvJAA=w1327-h511
-vyGj9re9aeCR0FocNBbTQhD2Ijl1gM6SKErfMuK-O19N5eKdcoQJRvOYDpOYAQttGOS4g=w1327-h511
C1YMYtDrTLh61czB1ze-dEqIf2eO81DO482AfGVZJw_uOFv1GqFUYL_dUu8i-n1NIRDbjg=w1327-h511
4Dw9AazOzECNS0sKX83Qr4vR-FJbu8Qpvhpr656cyJEVP6O3C07pdbnvP7C4h1WVVzkvRw=w1327-h511
Z6xqFTs6mplQN_BVM66Dyt-VQT5EGf3rakiV5cYLdcPhVjbXIRc5dxm4QjGIbY_Qe6C9FQ=w1327-h511
nt4yODvtZIldDHVKMXBddcShPMOIQ4HH4A_pZlIqCHc4IO4BAV2WBsH7kEHI-__H_ygMKw=w1327-h511
HpMNYyvCaOKqEyor2rQX3poaE6WMHzYlW0EsL0L4n2r7hQQB4VqYdSJce4jCbg4NBAn0IA=w1327-h511
pYkxNkwK08ZV_8RRMuvcjXiqhvFDG1NzQxUmAtGOlTh-TPuQ-r3wRxDnco4meq9dzbI3XA=w1327-h511
sc9Ipw7akLu1k1tCcVpjyfDqvAq5T3PAjnKKKOZVUqqqHdk0MCw5DcDMsOT5mmMZxmEPhA=w1327-h511
-7maonelSCoX7EDREMPrAqrdnNEUqajqERYqf56QZsO1k8mbkK12mXhijBQ0BSfrtQ9J0g=w1327-h511
SLdpr5jzgmLU4i4aghEEuO3vvaUpViLm4pOY0RJ8hTg7po6h8Lz6rXJtB-Ci6bq3C6WMpg=w1327-h511
IM5IeLhBZ7fAU8J83-1enaWifz26B_4qDKoFWBWhkGZzOudT7sAe--w3tZjj3l0CTbeXXQ=w1327-h511
zvM7PQ4j269GQ6IlL0UAvurKDdZidQBa9Y7ycfZbrebcPNTkr9Rbej3GoKPtjVoERxCIvA=w1327-h511
np1bveXCVi6FX2dAox56eq8keGC4Igxy3x9eLk90Dsp-so3Z02PYXbVbCoQcbEtOkn7sIg=w1327-h511

Kyoto felt a whole heck of a lot more crowded than Tokyo did to me. People just pouring off the sidewalks there. The main places my wife and I went were Tokyo, Takayama, and Kyoto. Amazing trip. We plan on going back. Here are some pics:

Them image links are broken.

leroidys

Two questions, I'd be much obliged if anybody could offer any input

1)Anyone shipped back stuff to the US while visiting in Japan? Any advice on doing so?
2)Best places to stay in Osaka? So far it looks like Namba is probably the best.

One of my techies is moving to Japan for 8 months to live with his girlfried. Do you guys know of anything that might troble him, that a employer could help out with.

Fritz

Two questions, I'd be much obliged if anybody could offer any input

1)Anyone shipped back stuff to the US while visiting in Japan? Any advice on doing so?
2)Best places to stay in Osaka? So far it looks like Namba is probably the best.

I believe there was a really cool former love hotel turned affordable hotel in Osaka. I can't recall the name though

1) Anyone shipped back stuff to the US while visiting in Japan? Any advice on doing so?
2) Best places to stay in Osaka? So far it looks like Namba is probably the best.

1. Check the shipping rates here:
http://www.post.japanpost.jp/cgi-charge/index.php?lang=_en

The post office will have boxes for sale if you need that. Try to fit stuff into a SAL Small Packet if possible, since that's usually the most cost effective way to ship stuff:
http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/service/small_packing_en.html

If you're sending a game or something smaller like that, then go to Daiso or other 100 yen shops and get padded envelopes there since the post office only got regular envelopes.

2. Yeah, Namba is probably the best area to stay in since it got lots of transport options and it's close to both Dotonbori and Nipponbashi if you're interested in those places.

Top Bottom