• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Green plays Resident Evil HD Remaster - Black Dragon vs reREmake

Bittercup

I still think Jeff can beat the game on the highest difficult setting but I feel it's rather pointless. Dying over and over again doesn't add much to the experience. Resident Evil 1 is not a game like Dark Souls with its main focus on combat where it's all about finally beating hard bosses.
Exploring the mansion, solving puzzles, unlocking new areas, the atmosphere and the silly writing and dialogues is what I love about RE and it seems like those are the parts of the game that Jeff enjoys as well. Combat is there to add some challenge and tension but on its own is rather basic and certainly not the main focus of the game. You still have tension, limited ammo and stressful moments on the middle difficult setting it's just less strict. There's not much advantage to playing on the harder difficulty in my opinion.
I played through the game (on GC and the PS1 original) several times and I still enjoy playing it on easy as well. Hard is cool when you know the game already and want an additional challenge to it but easy is a great experience as well, especially for a first playthrough.
Right now I feel the difficulty just puts the emphasis on combat and the rest suffers from it. For example Jeff's comments after every scene with Barry were great, seeing 4 times the same 'madhouse' scene with no further story progress is not exactly the best way I would say to experience the game. Figuring out the puzzle with the dog whistle was nice not solving the puzzle thanks to running out of ammo is not.

One thing though: Jeff, in situations like those where you are fighting against two dogs and you feel you are dying soon, you can just open the inventory and heal. You don't have to beat both in one go without any healing.

I blame Jeff for these targeted ads that are running for me....

haStrtB.png

hey John, sorry to be a pest, but how's 4b's upload coming? :/

Will probably be days. Twitch is refusing to upload (ie, you click "export" on twitch and it never shows up on YT). I sent Jeff a DM just recently saying it looks like we will have to do it manually. That means I need to record 4b locally and then send it through MEGA to Jeff who uploads it to YT...

Trying to watch 4b on Twitch

Getting massive frame hitches, even though the audio is fine. Is it my connection or a problem with the stream?

Wish Twitch would just use whatever player they use on GiantBomb

tchocky

No stream for another week.

Jeff Green ‏@Greenspeak 12s12 seconds ago
Off for another weeklong stint of DETECTING HITS--this time in L.A. Apologies for no livestream this weekend. Next Sunday = long stream!

chugen

No stream for another week.

Jeff Green ‏@Greenspeak 12s12 seconds ago
Off for another weeklong stint of DETECTING HITS--this time in L.A. Apologies for no livestream this weekend. Next Sunday = long stream!

:(
but a long stream, nice!

Beth Cyra

Sad at no stream, but Jeff I hope your having a great weekend in LA.

I will just be getting back from California next weekend so a stream from Jeff will likely be just what the doctor ordered.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I still think Jeff can beat the game on the highest difficult setting but I feel it's rather pointless. Dying over and over again doesn't add much to the experience. Resident Evil 1 is not a game like Dark Souls with its main focus on combat where it's all about finally beating hard bosses.
Exploring the mansion, solving puzzles, unlocking new areas, the atmosphere and the silly writing and dialogues is what I love about RE and it seems like those are the parts of the game that Jeff enjoys as well. Combat is there to add some challenge and tension but on its own is rather basic and certainly not the main focus of the game. You still have tension, limited ammo and stressful moments on the middle difficult setting it's just less strict. There's not much advantage to playing on the harder difficulty in my opinion.
I played through the game (on GC and the PS1 original) several times and I still enjoy playing it on easy as well. Hard is cool when you know the game already and want an additional challenge to it but easy is a great experience as well, especially for a first playthrough.
Right now I feel the difficulty just puts the emphasis on combat and the rest suffers from it. For example Jeff's comments after every scene with Barry were great, seeing 4 times the same 'madhouse' scene with no further story progress is not exactly the best way I would say to experience the game. Figuring out the puzzle with the dog whistle was nice not solving the puzzle thanks to running out of ammo is not.

One thing though: Jeff, in situations like those where you are fighting against two dogs and you feel you are dying soon, you can just open the inventory and heal. You don't have to beat both in one go without any healing.

Wouldn't putting the game on easy make resource management less meaningful?

Limited resources is a huge part of RE1 to me.

Will probably be days. Twitch is refusing to upload (ie, you click "export" on twitch and it never shows up on YT). I sent Jeff a DM just recently saying it looks like we will have to do it manually. That means I need to record 4b locally and then send it through MEGA to Jeff who uploads it to YT...

Just break it down into a series of 45-60 minute Highlights and then upload the highlights to Youtube through the Twitch page

Bittercup

Wouldn't putting the game on easy make resource management less meaningful?

Limited resources is a huge part of RE1 to me.
It's not that extreme. Just turning the difficulty one step down doesn't suddenly drown you in ammunition and healing. You still have to manage your resources, especially if you are new to the game and don't know what to expect. It's just a bit less strict. For a first playthrough it's not a bad choice and Jeff would certainly still die often enough.

Jharp

Holy christ watching him miss the same fucking door over and over again. It's literally the only door you haven't tried, Jeff!

Haven't been watching the RE streams so I missed the recent back stuff. I hope you feel better soon Jeff! Back problems are no joke, probably my biggest fear as I get older. Hopefully you're back to 100% in no time.

In happier news:
Jeff Green @Greenspeak - 2 hours ago
Rough morning, but now I'm perking up. Will figger out how to angle my PS4 camera so I can stream while prone, and then Bloodborne later!

Anyone know if the PS4's streaming auto archives video (therefore making export to youtube possible)?

Top Bottom