• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jefferies Equity Analyst: Mario Kart 8D a "mega-hit on a different scale altogether"

MrMephistoX

It's a fantastic piece of tech (with a few puzzling design decisions). As far as the general public is concerned the Wii U never existed, thus we have a freight train (so far).

Curious if any professional outlets ever did a branding case study on Wii U: anecdotally my circle of friends and family literally had no idea Wii U wasn't a peripheral or redesign a la the PS4 slim.

D.Lo

Curious if any professional outlets ever did a branding case study on Wii U: anecdotally my circle of friends and family literally had no idea Wii U wasn't a peripheral or redesign a la the PS4 slim.
Would really be interesting.

Most people in my office thought Nintendo basically quit consoles, or just faded back still trying to sell the Wii. They think the Switch is 'the New Nintendo' following the Wii. That Mario Kart 8 is a new game 'finally' after MKWii, they haven't even questioned why it is called 'Deluxe'.

Nanashrew

Banned
Would really be interesting.

Most people in my office thought Nintendo basically quit consoles, or just faded back still trying to sell the Wii. They think the Switch is 'the New Nintendo' following the Wii. That Mario Kart 8 is a new game 'finally' after MKWii, they haven't even questioned why it is called 'Deluxe'.

They likely just see it as a new direction for the the series so they see it as a no brainer subtitle. To them "Deluxe" is just "deluxe package" with more cups than past entries, new 200cc mode, new battle modes, new characters, and new tracks outside of just the Mario series. Will be nice if we can see more DLC come to Mario Kart 8 though. I'd love to see more Nintendo characters appear in Mario Kart and some unique tracks from the games their from.

Makes you wonder why Sony and Microsoft have slept on the kart racing genre so much this generation.

Arcadey, cartoony mascot kart racers either outright bomb or put out middling performances on their platforms; the audience doesn't want it, PS and Xbox software ecosystems aren't really geared towards making those kinds of games a success.

Top Bottom