• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jefferies Equity Analyst: Mario Kart 8D a "mega-hit on a different scale altogether"

Yeah, in the rumored dark souls trilogy possibly coming to switch thread. A poster was ridiculing, saying he didn't help but laugh at people for being excited fur a possible 5 year old Port/remaster. He was then quoted from a previous post saying he's happily pay full price for a ff12 remake in what would have been five years after it's release. I'll try to find it.

Edit: found it!

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=226143245

Whilst a great backfire like that is always oh so delicious it's even better how the posters immediately jump ship and aren't heard from again in that thread (like agent in this one).

Isnt that bannable?! Seriously?!
Someone offended me with terrible irony. I said sometruth without swearing and was banned because I told the guy to get a life and a job.

Now this guy is trolling because of console wars and thats fine?! Get a job a buy all the consoles for god's sake.
What in the world are you talking about?

luulubuu

tumblr_inline_n6vxgw23Vv1qietwz.gif

The Wii dipped (Besides the natural decline of a console after so many years) because Nintendo's focus shifted to developing for the 3DS. All of Nintendo's focus now and for the foreseeable future will be on the Switch. There's no longer a need to develop for two different platforms.

Facepalm.gif. Dafuq!? Didn't they just announce a new handheld, like last week? With about 4-5 new games?

People think their Nintendo execs? 😂
Nintendo ain't NEVER, ever, ever been a one system company. Zelda and Mario Kart hitting back to back got the fans locked and loaded.. wow.

Edit: I'm a fan and all.. but jeez this cray.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Facepalm.gif. Dafuq!? Didn't they just announce a new handheld, like last week? With about 4-5 new games?

Nintendo ain't NEVER, ever, ever been a one system company. Zelda and Mario Kart hitting back to back got the fans locked and loaded.. wow.

They didn't it's a revision of the 2DS.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member

You mean the cheaper to manufacture version of their six year old handheld with four games we already knew about?

Son, what you talkin about lol

Stencil

I helped. I bought a Switch and MK8D and ended up returning the Switch and keeping MK8D (already opened MK, will pick up a Switch later on when more games come.)

cuate

Banned

what is wrong with some of you people

jesus

Azerare

Lol what even is this? A new handheld? it's a 2ds revision.

What a silly post. Of course they're offering support to an established system. You're not seeing major announcements though.

What a silly post. Of course they're offering support to an established system. You're not seeing major announcements though.

what is wrong with some of you people

jesus

Look ninty gaf.. There is nothing wrong with me!
The dude I quoted made it sound like Nintendo was to have nothing but the Switch, alone, for the next 4-5 years or something. That's how I took it anyway.

I was trying to have a lil fun.. y'all need to lighten up man. I know it is a revision, but it is called new 2ds and plays games the reg 2ds can't... but you're right.

I may try and give people some shit, but I'm not a troll man. 😂. I don't think people want to see Switch fail at all, and y'all just trippin.

I play mine everyday.

No? They did no such thing. It's a new 3DS revision, and no new games were announced with it. None of Nintendo's internal teams are working on 3DS games either. It's Switch only going forward.

That I didn't know.. my fault. I didn't know they stopped making 3ds games, where the hell was I when this happened? I thought they announced a new pikmin and another game!?!
Too confusing for me and apologies to the dude I quoted that knew what he was talking about, as I didn't.

But got damn man.. I'd never think Nintendo would stop making games for it. That actually pisses me off, because I still haven't played Pokémon sun yet and HAVE to get another now..

I love em, but I just can't win with Nintendo 😭

How do I buy Nintendo stock. I'm serious. Help me.

It's fairly easy to set up an account online. Just research some of the stock sites and pick a reputable one. Sign up, provide the required documents, and fund your account. It may take a few days but not too difficult.

Look ninty gaf.. There is nothing wrong with me!
The dude I quoted made it sound like Nintendo was to have nothing but the Switch, alone, for the next 4-5 years or something. That's how I took it anyway.

I was trying to have a lil fun.. y'all need to lighten up man. I know it is a revision, but it is called new 2ds and plays games the reg 2ds can't... but you're right.

I may try and give people some shit, but I'm not a troll man. ��. I don't think people want to see Switch fail at all, and y'all just trippin.

I play mine everyday.

That I didn't know.. my fault. I didn't know they stopped making 3ds games, where the hell was I when this happened? I thought they announced a new pikmin and another game!?!
Too confusing for me and apologies to the dude I quoted that knew what he was talking about, as I didn't.

But got damn man.. I'd never think Nintendo would stop making games for it. That actually pisses me off, because I still haven't played Pokémon sun yet and HAVE to get another now..

I love em, but I just can't win with Nintendo ��

It's very simple. It's the reason why all development (handheld and home console) was moved into one building. It's the reason why Switch is a hybrid. It's ultimately a replacement for both the 3DS and the Wii U. This is it now.

There are still 3DS games coming, but none of them are developing internally by Nintendo developers. Hey! Pikmin for example is developed by Arzest, and only published by Nintendo.

You can't have expected Nintendo to support the 3DS forever, can you?

EDIT: And what do you mean about having to get another?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I usually hate to pile on but holy shit..
If he has some decency left he better not come back lmao

He's not coming back, because he's going around dropping shit posts about Nintendo and Microsoft in various threads, then never return to those threads again.

MTC100

Banned
The main issue with the switch is, that there are still a lot of Nintendo fans out there that didn't get one yet, add those to the people that want one because it's trendy device (almost like the Wii back in the days) and you get a pretty successful looking system.

What many don't see: The Switch is not only a console but also a handheld system, especially in Japan, a huge Gamer Country that has had console fatique for at least a decade now, the last strong selling console there was the PS2. The Switch is on its best way to inherit the 3DS userbase and perhaps even beyond that, it could also eventually reach the all time high of the NDS -at least in Japan.

I don't think the system will break any records in the west though. Europe and America don't have very big handheld markets compared to Japan and as a console the system lacks a bit power(and multi plattform titles) that westerners crave for.

Verder

It's perhaps the second meaningful release on a console that's starved for games - I don't think its success is all that surprising with that context.

you must be real fun at parties.

its great to have 2 of some of thee biggest titles from nintendo right from the get go which makes me excited for switchs lifespan .

Zedark

The main issue with the switch is, that there are still a lot of Nintendo fans out there that didn't get one yet, add those to the people that want one because it's trendy device (almost like the Wii back in the days) and you get a pretty successful looking system.

What many don't see: The Switch is not only a console but also a handheld system, especially in Japan, a huge Gamer Country that has had console fatique for at least a decade now, the last strong selling console there was the PS2. The Switch is on its best way to inherit the 3DS userbase and perhaps even beyond that, it could also eventually reach the all time high of the NDS -at least in Japan.

I don't think the system will break any records in the west though. Europe and America don't have very big handheld markets compared to Japan and as a console the system lacks a bit power(and multi plattform titles) that westerners crave for.
I agree, the Switch has the potential to sell 20+ million units at least in Japan, which will help it a lot compared to XB1 (which will hardly get to 100k) and PS4 (which seems headed for a 10 million finish atm), so that market can offset it's alleged lack of appeal ij the Western markets (where it is still a hot item nonetheless).

Passose

Banned
I agree, the Switch has the potential to sell 20+ million units at least in Japan, which will help it a lot compared to XB1 (which will hardly get to 100k) and PS4 (which seems headed for a 10 million finish atm), so that market can offset it's alleged lack of appeal ij the Western markets (where it is still a hot item nonetheless).
question is, will it become successful in the west also?

fireflame

I would rather consider BotW as a mega hit, instead of choosing a new version of a pre-existing game. I do not have MK8 so i cannot judge the game, but i do not want to see a remake as a mega-hit, even if it reaches high numbers in sales.

Turrican3

That's why the system has been engineered and marketed as a hybrid device.

And of course the Wii was a huge success in the West despite being far less powerful than the competition and lacking 98% of the big multiplatform releases.

People think their Nintendo execs? ��

Can some kind gaffer provide an English translation please?

Zedark

question is, will it become successful in the west also?
That's the question indeed. I think the system will need a decent library of third party AAA support to really succeed in the west on a level close to PS4. I don't think full AAA support compared to PS4/XB1 is needed as the strength of Nintendo IP can aid in supporting the system more than other first party publishers' IP can.

That said, the system has a strong USP in my eyes, and its start is promising, so I keep hope it will do really well.
I would rather consider BotW as a mega hit, instead of choosing a new version of a pre-existing game. I do not have MK8 so i cannot judge the game, but i do not want to see a remake as a mega-hit, even if it reaches high numbers in sales.
That's fair, it depends on how much you value remasters. The analyst doesn't care one bit about the game's quality or whether it's a remaster, he mostly cares about its sales potential.

Good thing MK8 Deluxe is not remake then.

Two Words

Makes you wonder why Sony and Microsoft have slept on the kart racing genre so much this generation.
Mario Kart is a good series, but it definitely is helped by the Mario IP and legacy. Replace Mario Kart 8D with a new IP, and it just wouldn't have the same kind of appeal.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Mario Kart is a good series, but it definitely is helped by the Mario IP and legacy. Replace Mario Kart 8D with a new IP, and it just wouldn't have the same kind of appeal.
it doesnt help that basically most, fuck it ALL kart racers have terrible artstyles except mario kart

They don't know a lot about gaming and consoles, do they?
Kinda scary they make bets on such little info.

But great that Nintendo does so well with this game. Best Mariokart there is. Aside from jaggies, the game looks and plays fucking fantastic.

Maybe they can make more ports from the WiiU to Switch. There were some amazing games on the console they failed to sell.

it doesnt help that basically most, fuck it ALL kart racers have terrible artstyles except mario kart

true. Others really don't come close. There is fun to be had in other kart-racers but in reality, they don't come close.

Cerium

pzv5j7l.jpg

Passose

Banned
That's the question indeed. I think the system will need a decent library of third party AAA support to really succeed in the west on a level close to PS4. I don't think full AAA support compared to PS4/XB1 is needed as the strength of Nintendo IP can aid in supporting the system more than other first party publishers' IP can.

That said, the system has a strong USP in my eyes, and its start is promising, so I keep hope it will do really well.

That's fair, it depends on how much you value remasters. The analyst doesn't care one bit about the game's quality or whether it's a remaster, he mostly cares about its sales potential.
I think Japanese 3rd parties can help them, both mainstream and niche

Zedark

I think Japanese 3rd parties can help them, both mainstream and niche

Definitely. Having JP third parties on board will be more than enough for Switch to be a decent success at least. My hesitation is with becoming a major success in Western markets: even the biggest Japanese third parties make up a relatively small part of the AAA market over here, so to get the mainstream success that for example the PS4 enjoys in the West, I think Switch does need to have at least a decent base of Western AAA third parties as well. If it does get that, it would be on the road to becoming a huge phenomenon imo.

Top Bottom