• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jet Set Radio also coming to Android, iOS

Pastry

Banned
It's cynical to release a game on a platform where the controls will suck, simply to cash in on the massive marketshare and lack of decent titles.

Let's face it, only specific types of games can adapt to a touchscreen interface. The rest are crap to play.

It's cynical to assume the controls will suck before you have seen anything other than a doctored image of the game running on the devices.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It's cynical to release a game on a platform where the controls will suck, simply to cash in on the massive marketshare and lack of decent titles.

Let's face it, only specific types of games can adapt to a touchscreen interface. The rest are crap to play.

Who cares.

People buy them knowing they'll control like ass though, and they just put up with it anyway. There'll be at least a day where people post about how amazing the controls turned out to be and how it's the new height of iOS control schemes, as if to justify their purchase. That will quickly disappear when people realise that it's just as bad as everything else that isn't suited to the platform.

It's their money, I guess.

stuart

Banned
It's cynical to assume the controls will suck before you have seen anything other than a doctored image of the game running on the devices.

Because GTA 3 worked so well... I'm probably a pessimist, but from personal experience I've been disappointed with most games on my Android phone.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
JSR on my ps3 and on my ipad and iphone for the road. I think I might have to upgrade to a bigger iphone soon.

Because GTA 3 worked so well... I'm probably a pessimist, but from personal experience I've been disappointed with most games on my Android phone.

you do have the choice of not buying it.

We've had enough experience with ports of this type to know better. Seriously. It's not like we haven't been down this road before. There is no great way to mimic an analog stick and several buttons on the touch screen of an iPhone.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I really enjoy people trying to downplay these ports cause they are simply unplayable. It's like the game isn't coming to PC, Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and Playstation Vita

Pastry

Banned
We've had enough experience with ports of this type to know better. Seriously. It's not like we haven't been down this road before. There is no great way to mimic an analog stick and several buttons on the touch screen of an iPhone.

I have been pleasantly surprised by Sega's offerings on iOS, so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. I completed all of GTA3 on my iPad and found the controls passable, Max Payne on the other hand was complete and utter trash.

iceatcs

Will it run smooth on iPad 3?
Too much games run lagging on iPad 3 whereas other iOS devices run much smoother :(

I really enjoy people trying to downplay these ports cause they are simply unplayable. It's like the game isn't coming to PC, Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and Playstation Vita

People just calling it like they see it. Kinda hard to deny it when there are several people who've already replied they're buying it, but know it will control like crap.

Also, no one is acting like it's not coming to those other platforms. I will be buying it day one on XBLA.

SmokyDave

Gosh it's so refreshing to see people that don't like touchscreen controls coming into a topic for a game that will obviously have touch screen controls and bitching about touchscreen controls!

I feel sorry for you cacky-thumbed whingers, you're missing out.

stuart

Banned
Gosh it's so refreshing to see people that don't like touchscreen controls coming into a topic for a game that will obviously have touch screen controls and bitching about touchscreen controls!

I feel sorry for you cacky-thumbed whingers, you're missing out.

I'd agree if this game was unique to smartphones, but we can just play it on a more suited platform

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'd agree if this game was unique to smartphones, but we can just play it on a more suited platform

Even less reason to be bothered by the iOS port's existence, since it can be easily ignored. I'll be going with PC or Vita but if the iOS version is just a few bucks I might buy it just to have it with me on the go.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The only good news out of this is that the game will probably be pretty cheap. Hopefully the prices are around the same for the iOS/Vita version.

So there's even less reason to shit up this thread, wouldn't you agree?

What's the point of a message board dedicated to video game discussion if we're prohibited from actually discussing the games?

My take on these ports is they don't have any place on mobile tech. I'm actually surprised there's so much celebration here when there are clearly better ways to play this game. It both gimps and cheapens the experience, providing a far less satisfying experience. Mobile games should be catered to the hardware.

Pastry

Banned
What's the point of a message board dedicated to video game discussion if we're prohibited from actually discussing the games?

My take on these ports is they don't have any place on mobile tech. I'm actually surprised there's so much celebration here when there are clearly better ways to play this game. It both gimps and cheapens the experience, providing a far less satisfying experience. Mobile games should be catered to the hardware.

Drive by 'controls will be shit' comments are hardly discussions. Pretty much happens in every iOS thread that isn't the mega-thread.

Maybe so, but corporations gonna corporate.

It'll make them money, and like others have said already, the more exposure JSR gets, the better. I'll be getting it on PC and iPhone. If it controls badly (which we don't know yet) then oh well. Maybe our support will convince them to make a sequel.

Maybe so, but corporations gonna corporate.

It'll make them money, and like others have said already, the more exposure JSR gets, the better. I'll be getting it on PC and iPhone. If it controls badly (which we don't know yet) then oh well. Maybe our support will convince them to make a sequel.

It's not going to do much for the future of the franchise. People who've played it before are going to buy it on PSN, etc, because they know the iOS version won't work. The people who haven't played it and spend $2 on the iOS version are going to think it's a piece of shit and will never touch the series again.

Still, if those $2s mean they port Future to XBLA or make a new JSR, then I don't care how bad this version is.

Well...at least the graffiti stuff will be easier to pull off.
This is one portion where I think touch controls will actually benefit the game. Basic movement, no. Doing the motions to spray graffiti? Actually, yeah; actually draw the motions instead of mimicking them on an analog stick (or worse, a touchscreen approximation of an analog stick).

We can only hope Sega is that clever.

SmokyDave

General 'touchscreen controls don't work' comments have been done to death. We don't even know how this game is controlled yet. Have they implemented some new swipe system? Have they emulated a stick? Is it fixed? Is it floating? Can you re-size the controls? Can they be moved?

My take is that I was happy to get a copy for my TV and my handheld and now I'm happier because my portable shares the love too.

You have a good point and I'm sure it's worth a thread in itself, I just don't see why it needs mentioning in the individual game threads all the time.

It's not going to do much for the future of the franchise. People who've played it before are going to buy it on PSN, etc, because they know the iOS version won't work. The people who haven't played it and spend $2 on the iOS version are going to think it's a piece of shit and will never touch the series again.

Still, if those $2s mean they port Future to XBLA or make a new JSR, then I don't care how bad this version is.
True.. And my sentiments exactly.

I missed the discussion part.
All I read was a random attack on controls.
Every time. Just in case anyone forgot they were in an iOS game thread.

If it does sell well then it stands to reason we'll just see the sequel on mobile platforms. That doesn't really make me happy.

Like I said, this kind of game is just perfectly catered to analog controls and face or trigger buttons. I would rather see a Jet Set game catered to mobile devices that doesn't try to gimp the original's controls. It could still be fun and include tagging, but it would need to take into account the input method.

General 'touchscreen controls don't work' comments have been done to death. We don't even know how this game is controlled yet. Have they implemented some new swipe system? Have they emulated a stick? Is it fixed? Is it floating? Can you re-size the controls? Can they be moved?
I downloaded Doom for my iPad and while I'm a huge Doom fan and I can see they did the best they could given the control options, it's just a shallow experience. And from what I can tell Doom is one of the more successful ports in terms of its controls. It doesn't work in any meaningful way. But it does work as a casual experience if you don't mind playing on the lowest difficulty setting.

If it does sell well then it stands to reason we'll just see the sequel on mobile platforms. That doesn't really make me happy.

Like I said, this kind of game is just perfectly catered to analog controls and face or trigger buttons. I would rather see a Jet Set game catered to mobile devices that doesn't try to gimp the original's controls. It could still be fun and include tagging, but it would need to take into account the input method.

I honestly don't see how you could come to that conclusion though. Wouldn't it selling well mean they would do the same thing, as in PC/XBLA/PSN/mobile? I mean, I would see your point of view if they were releasing this on mobiles only.

SmokyDave

I see a future where they port JSRF to the same platforms and then drop the 3rd game on the next gen platforms. I prefer mine.

Play it on a different system then. If you can't get on with a control system, ignore games on that platform. I do that with motion controls and I've survived, although I've no doubt missed some good games.

I hope we'll see a mobile optimised JSR game if this does well but not at the expense of any 'proper' new JSR.

I honestly don't see how you could come to that conclusion though. Wouldn't it selling well mean they would do the same thing, as in PC/XBLA/PSN/mobile? I mean, I would see your point of view if they were releasing this on mobiles only.

Well I'm specifically referring to mobile devices such as iOS and Android. But if it does sell well on the other platforms then that's great. I've always been cautious about stripping the experience down to fit the controls. It would be a disservice to the game. I really don't have a dog in this fight concerning this particular game. I just think the issue of porting console games to mobile devices threatens the integrity of the original game.

Well I'm specifically referring to mobile devices such as iOS and Android. But if it does sell well on the other platforms then that's great. I've always been cautious about stripping the experience down to fit the controls. It would be a disservice to the game. I really don't have a dog in this fight concerning this particular game. I just think the issue of porting console games to mobile devices threatens the integrity of the original game.

It still remains to be seen how much has been "stripped down", if at all. No offense to ya man, but maybe you should make a thread about that so we don't have that discussion here, since it doesn't really apply. We still have the other versions so everyone can be happy.

Top Bottom