• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden (Windows Central): Halo Wars 2 is coming to Steam

sangreal

That's what I believe as well. Basically, games developped by a 3rd party.

Yeah, my expectation would be that any games developed by a 3rd party will wind up on steam. Nobody wants to be windows store exclusive when they're getting paid royalties. Unfortunately for MS, they rely heavily on contracted developers like this

orochi91

Probably because it bombed and they are trying to recover some money.

They might do that at some point but right now they seem to be keeping them exclusive and just putting the games that didn't sell as well on Steam.

I shit you not, I wouldn't be surprised if it sold less than 10,000 copies on the W10 Store.

At some point, you look at what you have and wonder "Is it really financially viable for me to keep this off Steam?"

Yea, and given that Sega/CA were involved, it would make sense if they wanted to recoup some money and asked MS for a Steam version.

Games developed via MS 1st-party studios (Forza/Gears) will probably remain W10 exclusive then.

fake news

srsly though, I believe Microsoft is working on a solution to solve Steam/Windows 10 Store connectivity too, so hopefully the communities won't be split up (but still working on getting that bit of info confirmed).

Could be the Ubisoft model?

Purchasable on any digital storefront but it still requires authentication with Xbox Live services (a'la UPlay).

This would force their digital storefront (Microsoft Store) to be competitive, while allowing the user to buy where they want.

Trago

also please take this as a rumor for now, I was drunk when I received the info and now I cannot track down where I got it, but! if it comes to Steam some time in the future remember this thread :')

#projournalism

You must get the info sir! For everyone!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
fake news

srsly though, I believe Microsoft is working on a solution to solve Steam/Windows 10 Store connectivity too, so hopefully the communities won't be split up (but still working on getting that bit of info confirmed).

I've been saying from the off that Microsoft will eventually let the other shoe mostly drop and release its WinStore games on Steam with Uplayesque Xbox App integration, minus the Play Anywhere perk (the WinStore does need to have a feather in its cap, after all). Halo Wars 2 seems like a good a starting point as any.

If nothing else, Microsoft has to realise that Quantum Break and now Halo Wars: DE have set a precedent. Many people waved away the Steam release of the former as a contractual wrinkle owing to the fact that Remedy is a third-party development partner, but the same can't be said of the latter and 343i. Some wheels are definitely turning. What path that cart is taking remains to be seen, however I'm fairly confident that Microsoft has finally realised that attempting to force people to use something they'd rather avoid is largely ineffective. I mean, an Xbox gamer taking advantage of their complimentary WinStore copy doesn't actually help the service gain traction within the PC DD space, and that's chiefly who the WinStore appeals to -- people who are already members of the ecosystem, not those entrenched elsewhere.

To be perfectly honest, I'm of the opinion that GFWL was Microsoft's one and only shot at crippling Steam and it screwed the pooch utterly. Today's WinStore push is too little -- it's literally still fundamentally flawed as a content delivery service -- too late. If you'll excuse the flowery prose, Microsoft is pushing a rock nobody who primarily games on the PC actually wants up a hill that Valve has been comfortably sitting atop of for years, and for good reason: Steam continually improves whereas the WinStore is still as unreliable as it was when Rise of the Tomb Raider launched well over a year ago.

fake news

If CD Projekt Red could do link together Steamworks with their own network (or, more to the point, Psyonix with both Steam, Xbox Live and PSN), I can't see any practical reason why Microsoft couldn't do it. They're not exactly lacking on the manpower front.

Plus, I totally would rebuy Forza Horizon 3 to get it on a platform that's not hell to download large games from.

Trago

I've been saying from the off that Microsoft will eventually let the other shoe mostly drop and release its WinStore games on Steam with Uplayesque Xbox App integration, minus the Play Anywhere perk (the WinStore does need to have a feather in its cap, after all). Halo Wars 2 seems like as good a starting point as any.

Give us Recore, Forza, and Gears as well. I'd like to support those games, but not UWP.

Phloxy

Halo Wars 2 confirmed for Steam at E3 along with first trailer of story expansion content that will then release later that month. That's what I think anyways.

KodiakGT

I wonder if their future PC offerings will come to steam right away? It has to be frustrating to the games division that the games they put so much effort into bomb on PC because of the myriad of issues with the W10 store.

I wonder if they'll eventually make an Xbox/Win10 overlay for Steam like Ubisoft does. I think Play Anywhere is awesome, but I bet the PC only crowd generally sticks to Steam. I think Sea of Thieves in particular would really benefit from a Steam release.

That's great - just PLEASE make sure cross-play is available with windows store users and steam.

I love HW2 but its currently dead on WS. And I bought the ultimate edition. If this isn't cross-play like they did with Halo Wars Definitive edition i'll make sure i never buy another game ever from the windows store

Mrbob

I wonder if they'll eventually make an Xbox/Win10 overlay for Steam like Ubisoft does. I think Play Anywhere is awesome, but I bet the PC only crowd generally sticks to Steam. I think Sea of Thieves in particular would really benefit from a Steam release.
Play anywhere is useless for a pc gamer so yeah sea of thieves would definitely do great on Steam.

wwm0nkey

Just authenticate people before the game launches like in Happy Wars on Steam and then we should be good to go right?

To be perfectly honest, I'm of the opinion that GFWL was Microsoft's one and only shot at crippling Steam and it screwed the pooch utterly. Today's WinStore push is too little -- it's literally still fundamentally flawed as a content delivery service -- too late. If you'll excuse the flowery prose, Microsoft is pushing a rock nobody who primarily games on the PC actually wants up a hill that Valve has been comfortably sitting atop of for years, and for good reason: Steam continually improves whereas the WinStore is still as unreliable as it was when Rise of the Tomb Raider launched well over a year ago.

Yeah, back then Microsoft actually had a lot of leverage and a lot of third parties were pretty naive about Steam, so they could pull in major third parties like Capcom, Bandai Namco, WB, etc. Nowadays they've lost all that leverage and those third parties love Steam, so it's an impossible sell.

I'm a bit confused by this move.

Is HW2 not a 1st-party game? Why would they not keep it exclusive to their own W10 Store?

Does this mean that other Xbox games, like Forza and Gears, will also release on Steam at a later date?
Most companies like money, why keep it exclusive?

Hopefully those games also end up on Steam. I already own them on the Windows Store but Gears is dead and cross play is taking too damn long

Multiplayer between steam and windows is allowed... it's up to the dev
I know, I just feel like more of these Play Anywhere games are unfortunately doing the "no cross store multiplayer" thing lately, or maybe I'm just noticing it more from GAF threads...

Only, they've been peddling the ever-shitty Windows Store for their major releases. Steam should be the way to go.

It's just to support Play Anywhere. You can't really do that on Steam unless Microsoft somehow updates the Xbox One to cooperate with Steam.

Caffeine

It's just to support Play Anywhere. You can't really do that on Steam unless Microsoft somehow updates the Xbox One to cooperate with Steam.

but they could though link xbox live account with steam account sony did something like that with portal 2 ?

Matt

The W10 Store doesn't exist to support Play Anywhere, Play Anywhere exists to support the W10 Store.

I'll definitely double dip if it doesn't allow for Steam and WS cross play. The game is pretty much dead on WS. At least with the Steam version there will be somewhat of a community. That's why I hate getting games on WS, shit is dead within weeks.

Tecnniqe

Banned
As someone who bought the games on that store because I like the games more than I hate or have issues with the market place this is great news for everyone. They just need to fix it so that both sides can play with each other like the uPlay client.

And everyone on W10 got that Xbox app by default so it can't be that difficult to implement it as a launcher.

Halo Wars 2 is a great game and all their UWP releases have been great on PC with a lot of options and I'd like that to continue with more choice as where to purchase it, if only for exposure.
Encourages console users to buy the games digitally on the store, which is still their storefront. Get users used to digital content and play anywhere.
Actually you can buy games digitally for Xbox/PC from keysites that also sell steam copies for good prices as they are play anywhere.

That way you just redeem it on the Xbox app and that's about it.

Matt

Encourages console users to buy the games digitally on the store, which is still their storefront. Get users used to digital content and play anywhere.
Users already buy games in consoles digitally in ever growing numbers. The point of Play Anywhere is to encourage W10 Store useage so that they will hopefully spend more there.

This is a good move by MS. I wonder if this means we'll be seeing lots more of their games on Steam from now on. Didn't they also bring QB to Steam?

It still baffles me why they haven't pushed the Xbox App for their PC game delivery, instead of making people trawl through the Win store.

The Xbox App has the correct 'gamey' feel to it and can be further expanded in feature set to make it more attractive. Get gamers thinking they are double clicking their way into a game environment, same as the Steam icon does. Because the Win store and all that it contains certainly doesn't feel that way.

Top Bottom