• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan: Developers will Aim for the Lowest Common Denominator, not forcing parity

Hermii

Except cell was really difficult to actually take advantage of, while the x will more or less automatically run things better.

Vintage

Literally the biggest Sony's marketing topic during the beginning of this generation was that PS4 is more powerful than Xbox one.

bigjig

It's pretty damn simple to increase your rendering resolution when you get a 50% faster GPU and a lot more memory bandwidth.

All he is saying is Sony isn't going to force parity. If devs want to put in the effort they will, if they don't they won't.

Jim Ryan says a lot of dumb stuff, but I'm not really sure why this of all things has got GAF in a tizzy lol

Yjynx

People dont like bad PR. As I dont like this guy either. But seriously? This case has often happen to PS4/X1...

Guys, seriously?
He's talking about graphics features, not performance.
A dev will develop a game so that it can run decently on the lowest spec in target. Then everything else gets a better-performing version.

But very rarely devs go back and add in better textures more models different kinds of VFX and lighting etc if they're supported only by a portion of their target.

It makes perfect sense, and PS4 pro isn't supposed to be the main PS4 machine - it's supposed to be the one for people who actually care about performance, which - if the last 25 years of development weren't clear enough - isn't really a priority for anyone.

Believe it or not, but i doubt sonyMS execs actually see much value in a 900p v 1080p situation.

This

big_z

“What happened was that developers, maybe at the behest of publishers, developed up to the lowest common denominator and stopped there. And in very few cases took advantage of the additional horsepower of the PS3.

“Now, I’m a big believer of learning lessons from history. History doesn’t always repeat itself. But if you’re a publisher of video games, that is a perfectly commercially rational approach for you to take,” he said. “Because you only do one set of work. You don’t do one set of work to get up to one level and then a different amount of work and consequently may need to go further.”

this guys logic is basically the same as movies where you see a blurry 240p image get enhanced into 8k crystal clarity.

I cant tell if he doesn't know what he's talking about or if he's laying PR ground work so that when destiny 2 shows parity on pro and 1x sony can push bungie under the bus for being lazy. Most people know you aim high and make high quality assets and optimize down not the other way around like this dunk is spouting. It's why the whole "downgrade/bullshot" thing exists.

Jim Ryan feels like the guy who only talks about games once every six months in his role

Why do they keep putting him in front of the media?

CivRab

Didn't we see quite alot of disparity between the XB1/PS4 cross platform games? Developers didn't just go oh the XB1 can only run 720p 60 so we will make the PS4 version the same you even had differences in draw distances texture fidelity etc.

Lowest common denominator is just a way for them to say you might as well buy our cheaper product because its going to look the same. Just more PR BS

"Jim Ryan is so wrong/stupid lol"

Meanwhile, AC Origins does exactly what he's saying and it's a game Microsoft bought the marketing rights to.

TB12

Banned

Meanwhile, AC Origins does exactly what he's saying and it's a game Microsoft bought the marketing rights to.

Right now there is 12 millions ps4 pro right (1 of every 5 from 60 million ps4 sales) and 0 xbox one x.
When the game came out there could be 15 millions ps4 pro and still 0 xbox one x

Guess which console got the most priority?

Moosichu

His cross play comments were dumb, but I don't see what is wrong here? I feel like people are (rightfully) so upset about that, that we now have a situation where
1324596542030_7713053.png

He is saying Sony isn't forcing parity: good.

He is also saying that in cases where games are the same on both the Pro and XBox One X, it is a decision by the developers to reduce their workload by aiming for the lowest common denominator: makes sense.

It's an explanation of what we seem to be already seeing with games like Assassin's Creed Origins. We do not know how common that will be yet, and he isn't making any statements about that.

Hermii

That Ubisoft rep also said dynamic resolution drops are indistinguishable to the human eye, Time and DF will tell. Wouldn't take anything as solid proof.

Vashetti

Banned
Right now there is 12 millions ps4 pro right (1 of every 5 from 60 million ps4 sales) and 0 xbox one x.
When the game came out there could be 15 millions ps4 pro and still 0 xbox one x

Guess which console got the most priority?

Your math is way messed up.

20% of PS4s sold since the Pro came out in November last year.

There are ~2 million Pros in the wild.

Moosichu

That Unity rep also said dynamic resolution drops are indistinguishable to the human eye, Time and DF will tell.

I would be shocked if the XBox One X didn't have some advantages come launch day, whether less resolution drops or less framerate drops.

repeater

I mean, I realise dunking on Jim Ryan is the fashionable thing to do right now in the wake of him being the bearer of bad news when it comes to Sony's stupid crossplay policies. But hasn't the PS4 Pro kind of borne out what he says about the "lowest common denominator" approach from third parties? As far as I've been able to tell, third party support for meaningful improvements for PS4 Pro has been halfhearted to say the least.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
That Ubisoft rep also said dynamic resolution drops are indistinguishable to the human eye, Time and DF will tell. Wouldn't take anything as solid proof.

If it takes DF to inform people, then that kinda proves their point.

Elandyll

Banned
Obviously some aren't taking the comments too well (Ryan obviously isn't good at PR), but we've seen what he's talking about time and again.

Tons of titles have lacked PS4 optimization vs XB1 to showcase the 40% more powerful GPU, or the benefit in having 8GB of DDR5 as unified memory, etc.

That's not to say that -every- title will be unoptimized (just like for PRO or now XB1X), or that the consoles won't bring brute force advantages (e.g. Boost mode on Pro). 1st party titles will also shine normally, obviously.

Heck, we have entire threads dedicated to what he is talking about (subpar PC ports, no blanket 1080p downscale on Pro...)

Hermii

If it takes DF to inform people, then that kinda proves their point.

It wouldn't take DF to inform people, if one looks better it does look better. It would take DF to objectively measure what the differences are, if there are any.

You could say the same about all DF articles.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Is Jim Ryan the next Mattrick?

I was thinking the same thing. It was a clumsy way to say developers may base game development around the specs of whoever the market leader is, you can go back to the PS2/XB/GC generation for proof of that. But rather than even go down that rabbit hole, just say Sony doesn't impose development restrictions due to marketing deals....which is kind of a dumb concept when you think about it.

Matt

Well, that was a very poor way to phrase the whole issue.

But yeah, no devs are limiting their games because Sony is making them.

Insomnium

I really don't understand what is the issue with his statement here. We have seen this at the begining of this gen with cross gen game and we will continue to see this now with PS4/Xbone as the lowest denominator.

That's some ill-informed comment.
Ps3 was one of the worst platforms to develop for, for a couple of years.
Tools were half baked from the start.

sangreal

That didn't happen for Xbox One versus PS4 and the suggestion that 360 was the lowest common denominator last gen is laughable

b0bbyJ03

That must explain why PS4 versions of games weren't any better than Xbox One versions right?

Jim Ryan, stop talking.
But are they really better? They have higher resolutions in some cases but that's about it. That just comes with extra horsepower, not like the Dev has to do extra work for that. Some games will have one effect or two extra. They're pretty much identical most of the time.

jdmonmou

Jim Ryan isn't wrong on this one. I anticipate there being a limited amount of 3rd party developers that will fully optimize their games for the One X. It just doesn't make sense to do it if not enough of them are sold.

I think we can finally debunk the myth that developing games for iterative consoles would be as easy as developing for PC.

jdmonmou

Other than Sony mandating Pro support after October? Did you convinelty forget this?
I don't think there's such a mandate since some games have launched without Pro support (e.g. Prey). The mandate was that the Pro version couldn't have exclusive features/game modes that weren't available on the base PS4 version.

Top Bottom