• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimquisition: When Jim Sterling Was Sued For $10 Million By Digital Homicide

On a more serious note - instead of cheering and celebrating this case we should point out the sheer inhuman and absolutely disgusting shit other Greenlight "developers" are willing to do to continue their shitty practices:
img_0927c3kji.png

Digital Homicide isn't the only bad apple out there. Not only Jim but folks like TotalBiscuit are doing a phenomenal job, calling out these little turds.

A bunch of triggered, nasty little snowflakes.

He may not have given instructions, but he really should have.

With any sort of legal case, it's better to leave most (if not all) communication to the lawyer, just to be on the safe side. Judicial system, like many others, can be an utter shit broken mess (and it's not just the US).

Obviously, I'm not giving lessons or anything, just commenting on that specific bit.
Basically no specific instruction was necessary. I was already doing it right before I contacted him. Given my job and the nature of the suit, I could have gone further and didn't, is basically what I'm saying. Just trying to explain there was no specific gag order - suits like these create chilling effects, which is more insidious in a way.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I am genuinely concerned for Jim's safety, this Digital Homicide guy is clearly a few cans short of a 6-pack.

SomTervo

The painfully sad thing about the whole narrative is that if Romine had put the same amount of energy into trying to make better games as he did into politics and dead-end legal battles he'd probably have had quite a lot of success.

Like, this is borderline pathological.

I'm surprised they didn't immediately start putting their "games" on mobile stores, Jim doesn't usually cover those. Or did they ...

Anyway, maybe we'll be getting even more Sterling content from Jim now that he doesn't have to deal with these asshats. Goodbye and GFYS digital homicide (and subsidiaries).

zogged

Fuckin hell, the video just got more and more depressing for me. Its a man dead set on ruining his life for what I can only chalk up to delusion

RK128

Happy this is finally over for you Jim. It had to be stressful dealing with toxic people like Digital Homicide for the past two years. You did a great job with this latest video and I'm looking forward to next week's Jimquisition!

Kinyou

Why does Jim get his own 'I was sued' threads?
Pretty sure everyone on gaf is welcome to make "I was sued" thread as there's probably an interesting story behind it.

edit: ah, you were joking
On a more serious note - instead of cheering and celebrating this case we should point out the sheer inhuman and absolutely disgusting shit other Greenlight "developers" are willing to do to continue their shitty practices:
img_0927c3kji.png

Digital Homicide isn't the only bad apple out there. Not only Jim but folks like TotalBiscuit are doing a phenomenal job, calling out these little turds.
"You didn't win... they lost.

They won this round"

lol

RSP

I hope Jim makes enough off this video to cover the cost of the lawyer.

Also, how is this guy still only at 500k subs? I thought his popularity was on levels equal to Totalbiscuit for instance.

I must have not been paying enough attention, I thought both brothers were in on the lawsuit, but James was the only one doing it. Did the other see the reality of the situation?

bosseye

What a video. Absolute insanity throughout, the frustration Jim must have felt for the last couple of years must have been incredibly hard to bear.

Shame he got stuck with his legal fees, but like he says, what does Romine have to give.

Justinh

I'm glad and relieved that he can rest easy and work without having to deal with this nonsense (11 10 15 million dollars, effin' 'ell!)

I think my favorite part of the show was when he said:
To be fair, I didn't know a lot about these processes either, but that's why I had a lawyer...(?)

I didn't know about them claiming that he was a "direct competitor" and the "Mark III" part of the lawsuit.

edit:Oh! There's a Fur- -Fun video!

tbsgdpI.png

Why is that the total instead of $11.561.000?

Sorry if it's a dumb question I am poorly versed with legal stuff.
He had not come up with his ~$800,000 compensation for time spent learning law stuff to write this document (instead of making DH games p.s. I could have made 4 in the time*) when writing that part of the document.

*-And that part is the DH problem in a nutshell. It's a Philip J Fry it took me an hour to write why didn't it take an hour to act.

jdmonmou

Jim should counter sue to recover the cost of his legal fees plus emotional damages. I know they wouldn't be able to pay but it would be a good way to warn others to not pull the same stunt.

Illucio

Banned
Once I saw this thread and made my initial comment I quickly poured myself a glass of red wine, made a bubble bath, and bathed while watching sweet sweet fuckery happen.

Couldn't have asked for a better video, thanks Jim!

gossi

He sorta had a lawyer. Himself.

And you know what they say about the man who represents himself...

Wait, he represented HIMSELF? I missed that. Oh my. I just assumed he got scammed by some idiot lawyer. This ups the stupidity (if that's even possible).

B_Bech

Even though money is tight, what with the Switch launch, I'm going to finally donate to Jim's patreon seeing everything he goes through for our sake. You deserve so much more than you get, man. Here's to you. A real hero fighting real villains.

CNCOMICS

Enjoyed the video, I'm glad this is over for him.

I like Jim's purple "cactus" that he drew on his copy of the lawsuit, it's even wearing a bowler hat. Whatever could it mean?

Bluth54

Wait a minute
Wait a MINUTE!

He tried to sue Jim for over $10 million?
What an absolute mad man.

It went up to $15 million by the end.

I gotta give Jim props for being willing to have this case dismissed with prejudice and not destroying this guy in court. I don't now if I would have made the same decision if I was in the same circumstances.

Top Bottom