• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John G. Avildsen, director of Rocky and The Karate Kid, dies at 81

kswiston

http://deadline.com/2017/06/john-avildsen-dies-rocky-karate-kid-director-oscar-winner-1202115171/

John G. Avildsen, who won the Best Director Oscar for 1977’s Best Picture winner Rocky that introduced the world to Sylvester Stallone, and who later helmed three Karate Kid movies, has died in Los Angeles. He was 81.

The Los Angeles Times reported that Avildsen’s eldest son said the director had pancreatic cancer.

EDIT: Here's his filmography, since he hasn't been very active in many years

Code:
Turn on to Love (1969)
Guess What We Learned in School Today? (1970)
Joe (1970)
Cry Uncle! (1971)
Okay Bill (1972)
Save the Tiger (1973)
The Stoolie (1974)
Fore Play (1975)
W.W. and the Dixie Dancekings (1975)
Rocky (1976)
Slow Dancing in the Big City (1978)
The Formula (1980)
Neighbors (1981)
Traveling Hopefully (1982)
A Night in Heaven (1983)
The Karate Kid (1984)
The Karate Kid Part II (1986)
Happy New Year (1987)
For Keeps (1988)
Lean on Me (1989)
The Karate Kid Part III (1989)
Rocky V (1990)
The Power of One (1992)
8 Seconds (1994)
Inferno (1999)

Ironically they just completed a documentary about him months ago. Can't say he was exactly a great director, but he did make some really good movies nonetheless.

RIP
Don't think I've seen anything he's directed except Rocky and KK

Lean On Me, and Save The Tiger are both very good.

Ridley327

RIP. He cornered a pretty particular market with both Rocky and The Karate Kid, and while the former was clearly a much better film from a quality standpoint, it's hard to deny he still knew how to work that formula very well to create enduring sources of inspiration in competitive fighting.

Turn on to Love (1969)
Guess What We Learned in School Today? (1970)
Joe (1970)
Cry Uncle! (1971)
Okay Bill (1972)
Save the Tiger (1973)
The Stoolie (1974)
Fore Play (1975)
W.W. and the Dixie Dancekings (1975)
Rocky (1976)
Slow Dancing in the Big City (1978)
The Formula (1980)
Neighbors (1981)
Traveling Hopefully (1982)
A Night in Heaven (1983)
The Karate Kid (1984)
The Karate Kid Part II (1986)
Happy New Year (1987)
For Keeps (1988)
Lean on Me (1989)
The Karate Kid Part III (1989)
Rocky V (1990)
The Power of One (1992)
8 Seconds (1994)
Inferno (1999)

GOAT

Ridley327

DAMN! RIP.

But I always thought Sly himself directed Rocky.

Since Sly was the writer of the film, he had a pretty huge hand during the production working on rewrites while also performing as the title character. He pulled a lot of weight even before he went into directing himself with the sequel.

Ridley327

I sort of wonder why Stallone decided to hand the camera back over to Avildsen in Rocky V.

The word was that Sly took the critical reaction to Rocky IV pretty hard and was hellbent on making something more "legitimate" in comparison, and thought that it wouldn't be such a bad idea to bring Avildsen since it worked so well the first time. Unfortunately, I don't think there was anyone that could have saved that script, since Sly over-corrected and we got the joyless mire that we know and despise today. I always felt like Avildsen got it the worst of anyone on the film in terms of their prospects from that point forward, since that came out just after The Karate Kid Part III, which helped cement Avildsen's status a major has-been in the eyes of Hollywood.

Mr. Tibbs

It's sad to see another New Hollywood director pass away. Joe (1970) has some incredibly powerful scenes, and Rocky and Karate Kid are feel-good classics. RIP.

kswiston

RIP. Leaving behind two genuine classics and in Rocky's case one of the best films ever is not a bad legacy.

Pretty much. I don't know how the Karate Kid will age with the generations that didn't grow up with it, but people will still be watching Rocky in another 30 years.

RIP, didn't realize he did Lean on Me as well. Love that one along with Rocky and Karate Kid.

Edit - damn, same thing with 8 Seconds.

BumRush

Silver (kk3) is the worst film villain of all time, but dear lord I enjoy that film. Kk1 and Rocky were two Staples of my childhood

Top Bottom