• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey to the West movie takes scene from Asura's Wrath verbatim (JttW spoilers)

Seyavesh

IIRC, he's trapped standing on his (giant) palm and cannot escape no matter how hard he tries, not pressed down on.

it's both kinda

buddha challenges son wukong that he couldn't escape from his palmand wukong is like 'yo YEAH WHAT' and jumps to the end of the known world and sees 5 pillars there

and then buddha's like 'yo check this shit out' and reveals that the pillars were the tips of buddha's fingers and his palm is the world that son wukong knows or whatever because buddha is so dang powerful or whatnot

and then he gets a mountain dropped on him with some kinda seal that doesn't get broken until journey to the west

Neiteio

Again, I'll ask -- how is the pacing in this movie? Thinking about just buying the Blu-ray off Amazon for $15. The reviews are awesome, although one mentioned "snail-paced" (albeit without context).

I must admit, Space Buddha sold me, followed by tiger-fish and pig-chef.

DOWN

Banned
Again, I'll ask -- how is the pacing in this movie? Thinking about just buying the Blu-ray off Amazon for $15. The reviews are awesome, although one mentioned "snail-paced" (albeit without context).

It's on Netflix NA

Gbraga

nope, but its on Netflix and actually a great movie

I know what I'm doing tomorrow morning!

I feel kinda bad that a rip off is making me interested in watching it, but I guess CC2 could take that as a compliment to their incredible setpieces.

gabbo

It's not snail-paced.

Neiteio

OK, I just watched this movie on Netflix.

HOLY SHIT.

It is SO GOOD.

To answer my own question about pacing -- this movie is super-energetic. Brisk, snappy, crisp. The action is awesome, like Platinum Games-grade spectacle at points. The humor is consistently laugh-out-loud funny. The characters are lovable and endearing. The romance feels genuine rather than forced. Every emotional beat hits its mark. All of the characters are AWESOME.

Seriously, everyone, check out this movie.

The Asura's Wrath part feels more like a quick homage than anything. In context, there's a shitload of meaning by that point in the film. So much HEART.

Silky

Banned
Do you know the name of the Monkey king ? Sun Wunko.

Do you know he's weilding a magic staff ?

Do you know how it transcript to japanese ? Son Goku.

Do you know who else can transform into a monley and weild a magic staff ?

sonson-bite.jpg

Gbraga

OK, I just watched this movie on Netflix.

HOLY SHIT.

It is SO GOOD.

To answer my own question about pacing -- this movie is super-energetic. Brisk, snappy, crisp. The action is awesome, like Platinum Games-grade spectacle at points. The humor is consistently laugh-out-loud funny. The characters are lovable and endearing. The romance feels genuine rather than forced. Every emotional beat hits its mark. All of the characters are AWESOME.

Seriously, everyone, check out this movie.

The Asura's Wrath part feels more like a quick homage than anything. In context, there's a shitload of meaning by that point in the film. So much HEART.

Why did I start singing Rules of Nature while reading your post?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Its a Stephen Chow movie...its similar to Kung Fu hustle and Shaolin Soccer
Wait, this was made by the same guy who did Kung Fu Hustle? Alright, this makes me want to watch the film even more.......& rewatch Kung Fu Hustle.

jediyoshi

No I mean there's literally a scene in journey to the west where Sun Wukong the monkey king is being pressed by Buddha's hand, or at least his finger.

Within the original text, does it outline how the scene would play out in cinematography along with storyboards? Because otherwise I think you're missing the point

Coppanuva

Man I liked this movie... I thought it came out the same year as Asura's Wrath though, guess not (February 2012 for AW, March 2013 for Journey to the West).

Evilisk

I knew I'd read this somewhere before.

I didn't know that Stephen Chow made this though, I'm going to have to watch this now.

Now that I can see the image I don't really see anything wrong, the movie takes the best part of Asuara's Wrath and put it where it belongs.

This wasn't even the best part of Asura's Wrath though

JoJoSono

Banned
Now that I can see the image I don't really see anything wrong, the movie takes the best part of Asuara's Wrath and put it where it belongs.

Man you just don't know what you're talking about. Asura's Wrath is filled with so many godamn amazing cool scenes. It's not even just the cinematography either. The music and sometimes how it's used is great. The damn art design of the game is not only super cool, but it's so damn stylish, detailed, and unique.

Also despite the "lol interactive movie" criticism thrown at the game, it is the game part that sometimes really shines. How the game uses the gauge and QTEs to interact with the player is almost an amazingly satisfying blending of game and movie storytelling.

God Asura's Wrath was so damn good.

I've never understood scenes like that one in Asura's Wrath.

Why not just smack the fuckin' planet with your other hand if that little spec is giving you so much trouble?

Edit: The whole "I will overcome insurmountable odds to beat an incredibly large foe because the foe decided to not do anything but flick at me" trope has always bothered me.

bonercop

Why not just smack the fuckin' planet with your other hand if that little spec is giving you so much trouble?

well that would be pretty bad for, you know, the planet. Besides, it's not like it'd work with Asura anyway. He also blows up ridiculously oversized enemies with his bare hands in space where they don't try to crush him with a finger.

JoJoSono

Banned

Edit: The whole "I will overcome insurmountable odds to beat an incredibly large foe because the foe decided to not do anything but flick at me" trope has always bothered me.
Well for one, the person he's fighting doesn't want to actually kill or destroy the planet. That would kind of defeat his entire point.

Also, Asura's Wrath entire style is to be an over the top mythological story.

Neiteio

Man, I'm still thinking about this movie. I've liked a lot of movies over the years, but I haven't felt this sort of post-movie glow since... like, Pan's Labyrinth, or Amélie.

Ah..figures.
That was one of the best scenes from JttW.
I never played Asura's Wrath so I didn't know about it.

Really enjoyed the movie btw.

Shengar

it's both kinda

buddha challenges son wukong that he couldn't escape from his palmand wukong is like 'yo YEAH WHAT' and jumps to the end of the known world and sees 5 pillars there

and then buddha's like 'yo check this shit out' and reveals that the pillars were the tips of buddha's fingers and his palm is the world that son wukong knows or whatever because buddha is so dang powerful or whatnot

and then he gets a mountain dropped on him with some kinda seal that doesn't get broken until journey to the west

I still remember a scene from one of the TV series of JttW where Wu Kong take a piss on Buddha's middle finger.

Neiteio

Man, reading up on the Monkey King's backstory, this is like the 16th-century equivalent of anime and/or PlatinumGames

Shengar

Man, reading up on the Monkey King's backstory, this is like the 16th-century equivalent of anime and/or PlatinumGames
It become one of the Four Great Literature of China not without reason you know :p
Sun Wukong is the first hot-blooded protagonist in fiction.

low-G

Reading it is like watching a good Dragon Ball Z episode. Yeah, the action is more DBZ than DB. Way more over the top.

Also, I can't get over how the world in Journey to the West is way bigger than Earth. More epic Earth with more secrets. Also Monkey can go 1/10th the speed of light (do the math).

Neiteio

man FUCK THAT. shameless as fuck too.
It really doesn't feel that way in context, though. I highly recommend checking out the movie on Netflix. AWESOME movie. It might've cracked my Top Three, which hasn't changed since 2007 (Pan's Labyrinth, Amélie, Spirited Away). I'll need to watch it a few more times to know for sure, but the first impression is STRONG. :)

Neiteio

Going off memory, Monkey King has superhuman strength and wields a staff weighing several thousand pounds, he can cross tens of thousands of miles in a single somersault, he can shake loose hair follicles that transform into weapons or animals or an entire army of clones, he can conjure up wind storms and part water and create magic circles, he can FLY.

He also is the basis for this Pokémon:

infernape.jpg

I have a question about Asura's Wrath. I know that moment is from the beginning of the game. Does it ever surpass that? Does it get all Gurren Lagann? Does he go even more Super Saiyan? I have been wanting to get it for a while.

Paz

I'm so happy this thread was made because JTTW had completely slipped my radar, holy crap what a great movie.

Asuras Wrath was pretty good and while the general concept of the stolen scene is well known it's not hard to see the exact composition was taken verbatim, I still can't bring myself to be mad about it though because the movie was fantastic and that scene was only a tiny part of that experience.

JoJoSono

Banned
I have a question about Asura's Wrath. I know that moment is from the beginning of the game. Does it ever surpass that? Does it get all Gurren Lagann? Does he go even more Super Saiyan? I have been wanting to get it for a while.
Yes to all basically.

Munin

Pretty sure that by now far more people have ripped off Stephen Chow than Stephen Chow has ripped off others.

Kinyou

Yeah, I'd say the game reaches even more crazy. One of the best parts was put in the epilogue dlc though, so just be aware of that.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Pretty much an exact copy of the asuras wrath shot, but doesn't matter as asuras wrath is amazing.

And unfortunately this film is not on the UK version of Netflix :(

Think I'll check this out today. I always want to like Stephen Chow but have never been completely sold. Either way, I've actually seem quite a few of his films and have never really regretted the time spent.

Top Bottom