• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just found papers by door saying "go back." My family's muslim

Status
Not open for further replies.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Call the police and report it immediately. Even if they do nothing, at least there will be a record of it.

Call the police man. This could turn out dangerous even if it doesn't look like it.

Go to the police, file a report.

But hey, Trump just calls it like it is.

What the hell. Call the police, man.

What they said.

And don't handle them any more than you have to.

Definitely a good idea to call the cops and have it on record, but don't expect them to run fingerprints or anything. You might want to consider installing a camera above your door.

Zapages

Call the police!!! Report it to the police and the media.

This needs to go viral. Muslim Americans have been here for ages. This is really sad. :(

Stay safe OP!

Also I would suggest getting your local CAIR or ICNA associate involved to keep you safe and to put pressure on the authorities to not push this under the rug.

Report it to the police now and start getting a record. Sadly because of the shootings people are looking for anything to point their anger at, and the fact that the shooter was a Muslim sadly gives them an easy way out.

Stay safe

I'm not sure I want to draw more attention by going to the news or anything, but I understand the desire. I'm gonna speak to the neighbors and then head to the sheriff department. Gonna look into getting some cameras set up outside as well. Thanks for the support everyone.

Hopefully just a dumb prank by some dumb kids.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Anyone frequent 4Chan? Sounds like something they would do.

Sorry to hear that OP. I wouldn't have assumed it was harmless, and you did the right thing calling the authorities. Shame these circumstances lead to such unwarranted hate.

Dude, I spent time in korea. This looks exactly like how korean write capital roman letters.

I don't want to point fingers but... stay safe. I saddens me to read this on gaf :(

I'm not sure I want to draw more attention by going to the news or anything, but I understand the desire. I'm gonna speak to the neighbors and then head to the sheriff department. Gonna look into getting some cameras set up outside as well. Thanks for the support everyone.

Even if it's a prank, it isn't funny.

AlphaDump

Gold Member

I think that is a smart approach.

in the security world, preventative (lights on, locks) and detective (monitoring, alarm system) controls are usually the best way to go in these cases. Most people don't want to get caught, so they bolt at the first sign of trouble.

Guns are a corrective control, if you are curious. Those are usually the worst kinds of security controls because it implies your preventative and detective controls weren't sufficient.

Write "you first" on the back of it and put it in all your neighbors mailboxes.

Or report it to the police. The latter is a smarter move lol. Stay safe. Likely just a really dump empty racist threat. But you can't be too careful now. Maybe ask the neighbors around you too if they saw anything suspicious

HeySeuss

I'm a police officer and you should call the police. Just understand something very important things:

1. There's nothing they're going to be able to do.

2. They probably won't do a report, but there will be a record of the call logged and the reason for your call.

3. There has not been a crime committed here. That isn't considered harassment or a threat.

4. They will not pull fingerprints off of the paper. They will not waste their time doing that for something that isn't a crime to begin with.

While I understand that it's concerning because you don't know how far it can escalate, you're best bet is to get a camera for your front door if you can afford it.

Steel

Banned
is it really that big of a deal for them? why can't they just do it when they can?

Because they generally have a lot of other things going on. I remember when my sister had her phone and purse stolen from her at gunpoint the police basically said they were too swamped with more important things to track it down.

I'm a police officer and you should call the police. Just understand something very important things:

1. There's nothing they're going to be able to do.

2. They probably won't do a report, but there will be a record of the call logged and the reason for your call.

3. There has not been a crime committed here. That isn't considered harassment or a threat.

4. They will not pull fingerprints off of the paper. They will not waste their time doing that for something that isn't a crime to begin with.

While I understand that it's concerning because you don't know how far it can escalate, you're best bet is to get a camera for your front door if you can afford it.
Thanks, this is mostly what I figured what would happen.

Fj0823

Well then maybe you should go back to them and return the papers.

Add a note that says "Make America Great Again by recycling :D"

Do not do this. Just call the police , install cameras, make people close to you aware of it.

Handwriting looks made by an Asian, but it could be on purpose.

Edzi

This is what I was afraid of. People are ignorant, and this is going to keep happening because people can't separate the actions of one madman from the regular adherents of a religion. It's especially frustrating, because yesterdays tragedy happened just days after one of the most positive exposures of Islam we've seen in this country in years (Muhammad Ali's Funeral). One step forward, fifty steps back.

My wife wears hijab. She's scared as fudge of wearing it now partly because of stuff like this and partly because she does not want to be associated with the maniac in Orlando that killed 50 people.

Because they generally have a lot of other things going on. I remember when my sister had her phone and purse stolen from her at gunpoint the police basically said they were too swamped with more important things to track it down.
that sounds pretty serious and if they couldn't help her then that sounds like a problem too.

Raynes

I'm not an expert, but it looks like the handwriting of someone who rarely writes/reads English handwriting. You said you have Korean neighbors? Looks like someone who is use to writing like this...

Trying to write in cursive.

Absolutely horrible regardless who did it. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this crap OP.

That's a really impressive deduction.

My wife wears hijab. She's scared as fudge of wearing it now partly because of stuff like this and partly because she does not want to be associated with the maniac in Orlando that killed 50 people.
It's scary out there, man. Be careful :/

My family doesn't wear hijabs and doesn't put an outward appearance of being Muslim other than being brown, but I guess that's enough for some people.

If it continues to happen though, it would go into harassment because then it becomes a battery of unwanted communication. It just has to be more than once before it's considered harassment.

Hope that helps :)
That's good information, thank you.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Good that you contacted police. Your next step should definitely be to get some cameras put up around your house. Show these assholes this behavior is not gonna be tolerated and nip it in the bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom