• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KFC secret recipe potentially revealed by the Colonel's nephew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dali

It's not hard to make food better than fast food so even if it is correct it's not like people would stop going.

Reminder that there's a free KFC comic:
latest

Jeffrey

It's not hard to make food better than fast food so even if it is correct it's not like people would stop going.

Yep. Fried chicken is always a hassle/mess to make. You probably shouldn't be eating it that frequently anyways.

pgtl_10

I still think KFC tries the hardest of all chicken stores in being creative. I like them better than Popeyes and Churches.

Chick fil a is great but different.

I still think KFC tries the hardest of all chicken stores in being creative. I like them better than Popeyes and Churches.

Luckily for me I don't need my fried chicken to be creative, only delicious. So I choose #Popeyes

Pyrrhus

The Double Down felt like some kind of failure on a species level, though. Like we'd let ourselves down just by this being a concept we were okay with.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I think the 'secret' has more to do with the method of cooking rather than the 11 herbs and spices. The pressure cooker deep fryer is where the real magic happens.

Still Popeye's is better.

Pyrrhus

Got a link? They claim its still the original recipe on all there ads.

No link, just relatives who ate at Colonel Sanders' original restaurants in Indiana and Kentucky who say it doesn't taste, look, or feel anything like what they got back in the early '60s. Anecdotal sure, but is it that hard to believe the process of mass production and prepartion by disinterested minimum wage workers in badly maintained stores would lead to a major difference in outcome?

I think the 'secret' has more to do with the method of cooking rather than the 11 herbs and spices. The pressure cooker deep fryer is where the real magic happens.

Yeah, this is what I think too. The old folks always talk about how the bones were like rubber.

.JayZii

Banned
It's a false flag to throw off the competition.

It's actually 10 Ts of Paprika and the mythical Origino herb, rumored to reside only in the deepest reaches of the Himalayas, no longer exists.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

The colonel used to cook with fry pots early on. KFC franchises use 1 of 2 approved fryers now. Chickens in the US are very young compared to the old days so the pressure fryers are actually low pressure fryers now.

Apollo

Banned
The amount of paprika is fine because it doesn't even have much of a flavor. It's more for coloring. Now if it was some Spanish smoked paprika that's a whole different story.

So did someone say it was took much paprika after making it or just looking at it. I always think spice mixes I make have too much paprika when I look at the recipe but it always seems to work out.

Might be fun to try at home if you can make fried chicken, but it's been so many years since Sanders this'll taste nothing like what you'd get at KFC

I wanna know the secret behind extra crispy skin, same with Popeyes skin.

Must be that damn pressure fryer.

You can get crispy skin frying in a cast iron skillet because it retains heat better, so long as you're not frying straight from the fridge. The whole point is for the oil to never change temperatures. The oil used matters as well.

I wanna know the secret behind extra crispy skin, same with Popeyes skin.

Must be that damn pressure fryer.

Brine -> Egg wash -> flour mixture -> let rest 5-10 mins to set -> egg wash again -> flour mixture -> deep fry -> Drain 5 minutes and rotate/pat so all oil can drain

Perfect results every time. Add corn starch and a little baking powder into flour for extra crispiness. Keep in mind that they also may burn easier.

Might be fun to try at home if you can make fried chicken, but it's been so many years since Sanders this'll taste nothing like what you'd get at KFC
There are SOOOOO many seasoning combinations, don't rely on a KFC recipe. Go out and experiment and come up with something that tastes better to you. Seasonings isn't some kind of 'secret'. Theres nothing on that list that strikes me as a special ingredient.

ajfoucault

It requires so many ingredients, that it makes it financially unviable. Might as well just stick to buying it from them.

Ponn

Banned
Who gives a shit in a world with Popeyes?

I have a popeyes literally across the street from me 2 blocks down (also a Five Guys at the corner). I go to popeyes maybe once a year, I really don't understand why they are so loved. Their chicken is so plain to me like everything else there. Supposedly its cajun spicy style but I don't taste it.

I'm interested in trying this recipe out at home though, I prefer home cooked fried chicken anyways. I like to make it with homemade biscuits and some milk gravy.

It requires so many ingredients, that it makes it financially unviable. Might as well just stick to buying it from them.

I get many people don't cook but if you were interested in home cooking you should already have a spice rack with half those spices at least already. You don't use a whole bottle of spice for one meal. I used to shake my head at people at work talking about buying taco seasoning packets. It's just chili powder, cumin and garlic. Get them and they last you a year and taste better.

I have a popeyes literally across the street from me 2 blocks down (also a Five Guys at the corner). I go to popeyes maybe once a year, I really don't know understand why they are so loved. Their chicken is so plain to me like everything else there. Supposedly its cajun spicy style but I don't taste it.

I'm interested in trying this recipe out at home though, I prefer home cooked fried chicken anyways. I like to make it with homemade biscuits and some milk gravy.

I've definitely noticed that the quality of popeyes chicken depends on the area. As least those I've been to.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Popeyes being better than KFC is the biggest trope on the internet. Their regular recipe is shit, so unless you are getting spicy, KFC wins hands down. Their biscuits are delicious, though, I will give them that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom