• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[KICKSTARTER] [LAST 48 HOURS] PATHFINDER:KINGMAKER, aka Baldur's Gate clone [FUNDED]

famfrit

Pathfinder:Kingmaker Kickstarter last 48 hours !!!!

ZSuMnar.jpg

The Game World

Pathfinder: Kingmaker is the first single-player computer RPG based on the acclaimed Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. The game invites players to Golarion, a world rich with history, mystery, and conflict, and gives players the chance to claim part of this world as their own.

Pathfinder has considerable depth, not only in its lore, but also in its game mechanics, and in the freedom it offers you to develop your own unique character. You can customize your character with a wide range of classes and powers including specialized archetypes, powerful arcane and divine spells, choosing from a multitude of class abilities, skills and feats. Pathfinder allows players to create heroes (or villains) that fit both their individual gameplay styles and their personalities.

The Story

In the north lies the Stolen Lands, a region that has been contested territory for centuries. Hundreds of kingdoms have risen and fallen in these lands, and now it is time for you to make your mark—by building your own kingdom! To do so, you’ll need to survive the harsh wilderness and the threat of rival nations… as well as threats within your own court.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker is based on Paizo’s award-winning Pathfinder Adventure Path of the same name. You certainly don’t need to be familiar with the story, but if you are, you will encounter characters you know and love. Either way, you will experience a host of brand-new events, companions, allies, and threats that expand and enhance the original Adventure Path. With help from Paizo and their authors, the story and quests have been expanded by RPG writer Chris Avellone and the Owlcat team, allowing for even more adventure in the already rich narrative of the Stolen Lands.

While Pathfinder: Kingmaker is a single-player game, you won’t be adventuring alone. Pathfinder: Kingmaker features a diverse cast of companions and NPCs, including iconic characters from the Pathfinder setting itself. You’ll need to decide who to trust and who to watch carefully, as each companion has an agenda, alignment, and goals that may differ from yours. Your journey will become their journey, and you’ll help shape their lives both in the moment and well into the future.

Your Kingdom

We chose to adapt the Kingmaker adventure path because it features a host of open-world mechanics, allowing players to experience the story at their own pace as they explore the Stolen Lands, which will challenge you as both an adventurer and a ruler.

Most importantly, the game allows you to claim these lands as your own, letting you carve your own kingdom from the wilderness. While classic dungeon crawling and exploration lie at the heart of this adventure, diplomacy, politics, and the ability to lead troops in the field are also part of the challenge. Choose your allies well, and keep them close while exploring ancient tombs and ruins—and while dealing with politics in your own court.

As you’ll discover, building a kingdom goes beyond simply building a stronghold: Your kingdom is a reflection of your character and your choices throughout the game. It is a living thing shaped by your alignment, your allies, and your ability to lead your people. Not only can your kingdom expand, opening up new territories and allowing you to build new towns and communities, but your capital city will physically change based on your decisions, your policies, and even whom you choose to ally with. As your kingdom grows, a number of factions and neighboring countries will come to you to seek favor—and to test your strength.

If you fail, your kingdom will be destroyed, but if you succeed, you’ll have made a nation where countless others have failed.

Your kingdom awaits! Do you have the strength to rule it?

Dont know why no one is talking about this game, but the Hype is real here !

oiM5AEn.gif

p8p72oQ.png

y5vx3pI.gif

Character Sheet Concept

Videos:
Pathfinder: Kingmaker Kickstarter Launch Trailer
Characters and animation
Meeting Jubilost
Interactive Ambience.

Gameplay
Chris Avellone

bati

Those numbers at the top look way too ambitious considering how much money they've raised. I realize that a lot of work has been 'done' for them since they're building upon an existing license and they only have to worry about adapting rules, classes and abilities into a crpg format, but still. 100 different monsters alone is a pretty big undertaking if you compare it to modern rpgs - assuming that different naming conventions (Regular Rat, Dire Rat, Diseased Rat, etc) aren't part of the diversity. And then there's the asset creation for the rest of the game, which, going by those numbers, looks like it will be a pretty big undertaking.

Put me down for cautiously optimistic.

Eusis

platforms?
Windows for sure, and I don't know if they'll do them as stretch goals (which if so is a bit late for) or will get them in owing to completing the Kickstarter, but they do mention wanting to do Linux and Mac OS X versions on their Kickstarter page.

I figure if PS4/XB1 versions come we'll hear about that closer to release... if not long after (Pillars of Eternity anyone?)

Jacobson

I'm excited for this, but I missed out on the early bird ones, and I don't want to spend more than that. Will probably wait for this to go on sale a few years from now.

Backed. Is this running on the Eternity engine that powered Pillars, Torment and Tyranny? If that's the case then I feel better about the underlying tech not slowing them down.

I'd love to think this would pick up a publisher eventually but I doubt it. CRPG fatigue seems to be setting in: according to Steam Spy there's a pretty clear trend from Divinity Original Sin (1.39 million, to Pillars of Eternity ( > 900k owners) to Tyranny ( > 200k owners) to Torment: Tides of Numenera ( > 120k owners).

I suspect that a CRPG launching in 2018 (after Divinity 2 comes out of early access) is not going to surpass any of those numbers. But I would love to be proven wrong!

Lancelot

Backed. Is this running on the Eternity engine that powered Pillars, Torment and Tyranny? If that's the case then I feel better about the underlying tech not slowing them down.

I'd love to think this would pick up a publisher eventually but I doubt it. CRPG fatigue seems to be setting in: according to Steam Spy there's a pretty clear trend from Divinity Original Sin (1.39 million, to Pillars of Eternity ( > 900k owners) to Tyranny ( > 200k owners) to Torment: Tides of Numenera ( > 120k owners).

I suspect that a CRPG launching in 2018 (after Divinity 2 comes out of early access) is not going to surpass any of those numbers. But I would love to be proven wrong!

It's all about quality, my friend.

It's all about quality, my friend.

Exactly the other way around - every game on that list was better than the one that came before it. If instant classics like Torment are failing to break 200k the market's screwed.

(Actually what it shows is that games with good gameplay and meh storytelling like D:OS and PoE beat games with meh gameplay and good/pretentious/incredibly long writing like Torment and Tyrrany)

Loved Torment and Tyranny, was put off by Pillars' grinding combat and am happily replaying Divinity for the third time. I'm just stoked these games are getting made again and funding them is no skin off my back.

Godspeed, Owlcat. Have fun with it.

Anoxida

Exactly the other way around - every game on that list was better than the one that came before it. If instant classics like Torment are failing to break 200k the market's screwed.

(Actually what it shows is that games with good gameplay and meh storytelling like D:OS and PoE beat games with meh gameplay and good/pretentious/incredibly long writing like Torment and Tyrrany)

Eh, new torment was a shitty game tbh. It's also less relatable in a market sense. High fantasy settings are easier to sell.

I think both poe3 and dos2 can make similar numbers as long as the reviews are stellar.

Pathfinder is something I know merely by name so I cant wait to try this out. Sounds like they're promising too much though.

I pledge way back when it first was announced. Here's hoping they get the 800k. I want those archetypes! Also, looks like the next unveiled stretch goal is a new race... Idk if they are gonna get the near 300k they probably need for that though.

The AMA(in... 10 hours from now i think) with Chris Avellone and the Creative director will drop some good info, or so I would hope.

Fishook

Just backed it, I reckon Steam refunds have taken a hit on a lot of sales data. Both POE and DOS came out before refunds were allowed, as well as them being the first big CRPG's in a while with TB and RTWP combat for a number of years.

There's a reason these games have gone back to Kickstarter/Fig the casual and younger market are not interested in these, but they sell to a niche audience, My Nephew is loving Fallout 4, but I thought it was awful as a fan of the series.

Thores

You know what... backed. Pathfinder is a great system, and it deserves the broader exposure that a good video game would provide it. The range of character customization already looks great and I like the Companion designs shown so far, so why the hell not? I'm in for the $40 tier, and I hope we at least get the Archetype stretch goal.

famfrit

Watch live-gameplay and learn how we bring events to life

Watch us play!

We are excited to announce that this Monday we are going to stream some gameplay with Alexander Mishulin (Creative Director) and Chris Avellone (Narrative Designer). We are happy to show you the first several locations of our prototype version. We will play one of the early builds, so you can get a better impression of what to expect in the game.

We will go live on Monday, 10th of July at 9:00pm PDT / 4:00am GMT* / 6:00am CET* at https://www.twitch.tv/owlcatgames.

*this means Tuesday, 11th of July in these time zones.

Can't make it to our live-stream? Don't worry! A recording will be available on our official YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo1yuqm85x6iyko4dKhZPiA.

And that's not all we have planned for you this Monday! Don't forget to be there for our Reddit-AMA (reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/) we will have on Monday, 10th of July at 11:59am PDT / 6:59pm GMT / 8:59pm CET!

Finally a live gameplay. Cant wait !

Begaria

How did I not hear about this until now? Backed it immediately when I saw Chris was writing it and the snippets of gameplay.

Thores

Archetypes stretch goal unlocked! 8 more hours left to potentially unlock the Goblin companion.

Man, I'm glad people outside of GAF are excited about this. It's actually kind of baffling that the thread is this dead.

famfrit

Archetypes stretch goal unlocked! 8 more hours left to potentially unlock the Goblin companion.

Man, I'm glad people outside of GAF are excited about this. It's actually kind of baffling that the thread is this dead.

I want believe that we have a real chance of getting this goblin companion.

3 hours left and we only need U$ 23.000.

Talking about people outside GAF, to tell the true I expected much more from Pathfinder community. But it looks like that the marketing of this Kickstart wasnt that good.

I'm in for the digital tier. I didn't like PoE so I am probably shooting myself in the foot here but I am really strapped for a good CRPG and I could definitely spend $28 on something worse.

Durante

Well, I backed it.

I still have tons of unplayed CRPGs, but as a survivor of the 00s I live in perpetual fear of entering another decade with only a handful of worthwhile CRPG releases so I'm prone to hoarding :p

famfrit

Well, I backed it.

I still have tons of unplayed CRPGs, but as a survivor of the 00s I live in perpetual fear of entering another decade with only a handful of worthwhile CRPG releases so I'm prone to hoarding :p

Same opinion, plus add the fact that Pathfinder is a tabletop RPG with a good number of books, lore, "identity" and the good & old D&D 3.5 rules !!!!

About the Kickstarter, $890,747 pledged and 2 hours to go.

Let's get that goblin !
cd48bad45ed696fd1c5f47752855a9664bb4f218_hq.jpg

GLAMr

Well, I backed it.

You mean the decade that gave us BG2, Arcanum, the Icewind Dale series and NWN series? It always seemed like a golden age of CRPGs to me, but I guess it did dry up towards the end. We are definitely in a bit of a CRPG renaissance now though (<3 DoS).

bender

What time is it?

The reward tiers are on the pricey side and the general enthusiasm for gaming Kickstarter projects has waned.

Thores

The reward tiers are on the pricey side and the general enthusiasm for gaming Kickstarter projects has waned.
You can get a 40 hour RPG for less than 30 bucks.

I agree that Kickstarter is less strong for video games these days, but Paizo is a really reliable brand. If they're overseeing the project, it'll either be high quality or they'll make things up to their customers if it isn't. That's how they are in the tabletop industry, and I feel that'll be the case here too.

Anno

Nice to see they hit some stretch goals. As someone who's D&D heyday was 3/3.5 (which I understand this to be something of a derivation of? Or at least in the same spirit) I'm excited to see what they make.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Anyone else pay through paypal on their site and get nothing?

It says 1-3 mins to process payment and get a confirmation.... it's been 2 days and I got nada. E-mailed them and they never replied either.

Mephala

I mean, you got my attention with BD clone title. Well done.

Doing the general research before I decide. I don't often back projects.

Anno

That seems like an all around solidly successful crowdfunding campaign. Always nice to see that there's money out there for more traditional cRPGs.

Top Bottom