• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct announced for PC

You do realize IG was responsible for all of Season 2 right? They're also responsible for upping the resolution from 720 to 900p (or whatever it's at now). They did a lot more than just "add bits here and there".

With 720p being already very low and a launch game in 2013, with Kinect now gone and early dev tools, Microsoft trying hard to help achieve higher resolutions it comes as no surprise to see them at 900p.

Do you know if any of the original team helped in Season 2?

Good news, thanks.

As if Double Helix was a shining light of a developer, and still season 1 came out ok. Iron Galaxy apparently did a decent job on taking over for season 2.

Ge0force

Banned
MS has created a situation where PC gamers simply don't trust or need them. And even if they have become genuinely trustworthy in this space, no one would know (or care) because they're already more than satisfied with Steam.

I'm afraid MS knows all this. They'll probably try to make gamers use the win10 store by making as much games exclusive to their store as they can. That's how MS always does things, and we can only hope that publishers and indies think twice before going exclusive to the Windows Store.

Trup1aya

I'm afraid MS knows all this. They'll probably try to make gamers use the win10 store by making as much games exclusive to their store as they can. That's how MS always does things, and we can only hope that publishers and indies think twice before going exclusive to the Windows Store.

Yeah well, If MS ends up offering a good product, I'd like to see them be rewarded for doing so...

I doubt many publishers will go exclusive to MS, unless MS 1) offers them better terms than Valve and 2) MS demonstrates that they can provide a comparable business opportunity (which would mean consumers find the Win10 store worthwhile)... If that ends up being the case, then I say "competition is good" . It would only help make Steam even better...

That's why the idea of unflinching support of all thing Steam bothers me, even though I understand how people came to that point.

Hell, MS releasing exclusive content on their service might encourage Valve to freakin' make Half-Life 3... Everyone wins

Lazaro

Don't games that go through id@Xbox have Windows 10 ports.

Microsoft publishing their first party games exclusively to their own store might make Valve develop some new games.

isn't competition good?

Look how long it took steam to offer refunds. Origin has had refunds since before Battlefield 4 came out. Steam is so powerful their refund service has created a massive pro consumer environment over night (batman). Steam is not our friend, our only friend is a competitive market. I'm rooting for the MS store.

The Flash

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Steam version of KI but it absolutely would not support cross-buy or cross-play. Not unless the VR partnership between Valve and MS leads to them becoming BFFs.

ArjanN

isn't competition good?

Not inherently, no.

For examples of this see Uplay or the original GFWL.

Also, the reason Valve haven't made HL3 has nothing to do with any of that really.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Steam version of KI but it absolutely would not support cross-buy or cross-play. Not unless the VR partnership between Valve and MS leads to them becoming BFFs.

Nah, that doesn't make a lot of sense. Either it comes to Steam with cross-play or not at all. There's nothing about you getting the game through Steam that would stop it from having cross-play.

Synth

Not inherently, no.

Another way of looking this, is that competition is the only reason GFWL didn't succeed and just become a permanent part of Windows gaming. So I disagree. I think it is inherently good.

The Flash

Banned
Nah, that doesn't make a lot of sense. Either it comes to Steam with cross-play or not at all. There's nothing about you getting the game through Steam that would stop it from having cross-play.

Perhaps. Perhaps they'll just make cross-play exclusive to GFWL 2.0.

Synth

There very well may be actually, if the whole Xbox integration is reliant on their newer WinRT stuff. That would make it unavailable to desktop programs, which could make the game (and any others like it) Windows Store exclusive by default.

Trup1aya

Not inherently, no.

Also, the reason Valve haven't made HL3 has nothing to do with any of that really.

u-play and GFWL are perfect examples of competition being good... The better services trampled out of completely marginalized the bad ones... That's how it works... Either offer a compelling service/product or die...

Sal Ami

Banned
Look how long it took steam to offer refunds. Origin has had refunds since before Battlefield 4 came out. Steam is so powerful their refund service has created a massive pro consumer environment over night (batman). Steam is not our friend, our only friend is a competitive market. I'm rooting for the MS store.
Competitive market only works when you have competitors. When someone half asses a system (such as UPlay and GFWL) there is no competition for the market leader. That is exactly what win10 store will be. It will not be competition but instead be bloat like uplay, another program that gets in the way of me playing games.

Ge0force

Banned
Don't games that go through id@Xbox have Windows 10 ports.

Microsoft publishing their first party games exclusively to their own store might make Valve develop some new games.

isn't competition good?

Competition is great. Even more, it's necessary. But for healthy competition, products shouldn't be sold exclusive in the store of the company that made them.

I'm not sure if Steam refunds have anything to do with Origin. Afaik it is the (European) law that forced Valve to allow refunds.

Tbh, I don't think Origin is good for anyone but EA.

NEO0MJ

I find it hard to believe Iron Galaxy will have trouble porting their own game to PC. But who knows.

Plus after the Arkham Knight debacle I doubt they'd want to release another stinker. Then again High Voltage have been fucking up ports for god knows how long and they didn't improve.

Trup1aya

Competitive market only works when you have competitors. When someone half asses a system (such as UPlay and GFWL) there is no competition for the market leader. That is exactly what win10 store will be. It will not be competition but instead be bloat like uplay, another program that gets in the way of me playing games.

What exactly are you basing that on? How do you suspect Win10 store will get in your way? What would the win10 store have to be in order for you to consider it a "competitor" instead of "bloat ware"

Competition is great. Even more, it's necessary. But for healthy competition, products shouldn't be sold exclusive in the store of the company that made them.

Why not? Should I be able to get a Whopper at McDonalds? Should I be able to watch Game of Thrones on Netflix?

Exclusive content is a classic part of heathy competition. It's one of many ways to lure customers into your store... It probably shouldn't be the only lure, if you want to be successful... But there is nothing inherently anti-competitive about it...

Lazaro

Not inherently, no.

uPlay sucks I know that from using it. GFWL is afterthought from the competing Xbox and Windows divisions.

But now that Microsoft seems to have got their shit together, the Windows Store and it's Xbox Integration actually looks good. My friends and family prefer their Xbox and so that's why I have hope for the Windows Store and Cross-Play.

Windows 10 is both scary exciting.

In terms of cross-play, if you look at the Halo mobile games on Steam. They don't unlock in-game items for Xbox like the WinRT (Windows Store) versions, because they lack Xbox integration. If Killer Instinct comes to Steam, it will be geared towards user who don't own an Xbox and prefer SteamWorks.

It's not that hard to port between Win32 and WinRT but Windows 10 will make it quicker according to Microsoft and Phil Spencer.

NEO0MJ

Crossplay on Steam wouldn't work for the same reason crossbuy wouldn't. Authentication.

I think the biggest problem is crossbuy. I bet MS really want to offer that as a feature. They could just offer a way to link you Live and Steam accounts like what Sony did but I doubt they'd go for that.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
The salt is real...

It was not too long ago KI wasnt even being remotely considered for a PC release due to extreme lack of resources. Now everyone is bitching cause MS wants to run it exclusively on Win 10? WTF did you expect them to do, they are launching an all new OS..you want to play KI on PC? Download Win 10 (which is fucking free) and be thankful you didn't have to buy an xbone.

Cry fucking moar.

Dr. Buni

I am fine with the game being Windows 10-only, I only hope it is released on Steam and not on some other random platform.
Plus after the Arkham Knight debacle I doubt they'd want to release another stinker. Then again High Voltage have been fucking up ports for god knows how long and they didn't improve.
Oh, Arkham Knight was ported by IG? Hm... That doesn't sound good. But still, they can't possibly fail at porting their own game to PC. I hope.

Is this going to have cross play, also how will this effect people like me who will not purchase xbox live? Will this game be stuck behind a pay wall?

Zedox

The salt is real...

It was not too long ago KI wasnt even being remotely considered for a PC release due to extreme lack of resources. Now everyone is bitching cause MS wants to run it exclusively on Win 10? WTF did you expect them to do, they are launching an all new OS..you want to play KI on PC? Download Win 10 (which is fucking free) and be thankful you didn't have to buy an xbone.

Cry fucking moar.

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself

AkelisRain said:
Is this going to have cross play, also how will this effect people like me who will not purchase xbox live? Will this game be stuck behind a pay wall?

Xbox Live Multiplayer is free for end user on PC.

The salt is real...

Cry fucking moar.
Let's hope it's a window 10 launch title!

I think the biggest problem is crossbuy. I bet MS really want to offer that as a feature. They could just offer a way to link you Live and Steam accounts like what Sony did but I doubt they'd go for that.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they offer a Steam version that requires Windows 10 to run, and supports the cross-play but not the cross-buy. At least, that's what I want them to do

The salt is real...

Cry fucking moar.

What is this nonsense?

1) Windows 10 is not free for me since I don't currently have a PC with Windows 7/8.1, so that's a false point

2) Yeah, I'm going to be on my knees thanking Microsoft for releasing a game in an inconvenient and undesired manner (ie, only on the Windows 10 Store). Since I DON'T have to buy an Xbox One to play the game now, cross-buy is obviously a pointless feature, and cross-play is not impossible on Steam. Games are doing it PS4-PC, so Xbox One-PC shouldn't even be an issue at all

Trup1aya

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they offer a Steam version that requires Windows 10 to run, and supports the cross-play but not the cross-buy. At least, that's what I want them to do

What is this nonsense?

1) Windows 10 is not free for me since I don't currently have a PC with Windows 7/8.1, so that's a false point

2) Yeah, I'm going to be on my knees thanking Microsoft for releasing a game in an inconvenient and undesired manner (ie, only on the Windows 10 Store). Since I DON'T have to buy an Xbox One to play the game now, cross-buy is obviously a pointless feature, and cross-play is not impossible on Steam. Games are doing it PS4-PC, so Xbox One-PC shouldn't even be an issue at all

In other words: you want the product that MS created... But take issue with them wanting to be the ones to sell it to you...

Mainly because you find, opening the store app and clicking "download" is an inconvenient process.

Also, you aren't even running a relevant version of windows? So are you complaining because KI won't be on some legacy version of windows? Maybe I should be complaining because Halo5 won't be on Xbox 360!

I'm sorry but, salty is an accurate description of your stance.

tapedeck

What is this nonsense?

Yep well I guess your screwed, but it's a valid point for an extremely large portion (if not the vast majority) of PC gamers.

I'm not even sure what your point is here, no one asked you to be thankful for anything. It takes time and money to make this game run on multiple platforms, AGAIN the budget and resources for this game was (and really still is) very small for a legit fighting franchise. They are doing well to get a competent version out on two platforms much less get it running on Steam with cross play across all 3.

Synth

Yep well I guess your screwed, but it's a valid point for an extremely large portion (if not the vast majority) of PC gamers.

It's not a valid point. If he doesn't have at least Windows 7, he wasn't going to be playing this regardless... and if he buys Windows 7 or 8, he does in fact get Windows 10 for free. Point voided.

EDIT: Just realised you meant the original point is valid, not his... carry on.

Ge0force

Banned
In other words: you want the product that MS created... But take issue with them wanting to be the ones to sell it to you...

Mainly because you find, opening the store app and clicking "download" is an inconvenient process.

There's more to it than downloading from another store. All my friends are using Steam, but I have no access to Steams friendlist or overlay when playing a game from the Windows Store. I don't wanna maintain several friendslists, PM boxes etc on my pc. As said before in this topic, an open ecosystem like Steam is far more interesting than a closed console-like ecosystem like Xbox Live.

And tbh, pc-gamers have tons of reasons to be salty about MS after GFWL, the original X1 plans, MS trying to charge for multiplayer on pc and the monetizing strategy they use on console. While I'm pretty happy that they made several customer-friendly U-turns in the past two years, there's still a long way to go before I can trust them again.

It's not a valid point. If he doesn't have at least Windows 7, he wasn't going to be playing this regardless... and if he buys Windows 7 or 8, he does in fact get Windows 10 for free. Point voided.

EDIT: Just realised you meant the original point is valid, not his... carry on.

Saying Windows 10 is free is false. It is a free upgrade if you already own a license for Windows 7/8, but it is not free. When I build my computer this holiday, I will have to buy a license for Windows 10

I'm not even sure what your point is here, no one asked you to be thankful for anything.

-->

Download Win 10 (which is fucking free) and be thankful you didn't have to buy an xbone.

Cry fucking moar.

It takes time and money to make this game run on multiple platforms, AGAIN the budget and resources for this game was (and really still is) very small for a legit fighting franchise. They are doing well to get a competent version out on two platforms much less get it running on Steam with cross play across all 3.

Steam isn't a third platform, it's a third storefront. Two platforms still: Xbox One and PC. Assuming a competently created back-end, there's no reason a Steam version of KI would not have cross-play with the Xbox One version. In fact, like I mentioned, some Steam games coming out are going to have cross-play with PS4. It's embarrassing for Microsoft if games are coming out on Steam that can cross-play with their competitors but they can't put games on the store that work within their own ecosystem

Also, you aren't even running a relevant version of windows? So are you complaining because KI won't be on some legacy version of windows? Maybe I should be complaining because Halo5 won't be on Xbox 360!

It's the same issue people have with putting up games on Origin or uPlay or any of the other services. I don't see a benefit to me as the consumer of keeping the game locked to one storefront, only a detraction.

There's more to it than downloading from another store. All my friends are using Steam, but I have no access to Steams friendlist or overlay when playing a game from the Windows Store. I don't wanna maintain several friendslists, PM boxes etc on my pc. As said before in this topic, an open ecosystem like Steam is far more interesting than a closed console-like ecosystem like Xbox Live.

And tbh, pc-gamers have tons of reasons to be salty about MS after GFWL, the original X1 plans, MS trying to charge for multiplayer on pc and the monetizing strategy they use on console. While I'm pretty happy that they made several customer-friendly U-turns in the past two years, there's still a long way to go before I can trust them again.

Also this

Synth

There's more to it than downloading from another store. All my friends are using Steam, but I have no access to Steams friendlist or overlay when playing a game from the Windows Store.

This is really one of those cases where I can only say "that's too bad". Killer Instinct is cross-platform. You'd be joining us on Xbox if you play the PC version, as such we shouldn't need to worry about you being outside of the ecosystem either. If 50% (possibly more depending on the PC version's popularity) wish to be essentially non-contactable because they default to Steam for everything from chat to game invites, then they should probably stick to non-Xbox offerings.

Trup1aya

GFWL is basically dead. The original X1 plans are dead. I get skeptism, but how can they gain your trust if your attitude is that nothing they do can ever be good?... They can't even attempt to launch a better platform without people like you complaining about having a second platform to choose from.

All of your friends are on Steam because Steam has damn near a monopoly... If another services comes along that is competitive, it's not a stretch to think you'd have friends there as well... Or make new friends while playing the exclusive games...

From a business standpoint, I don't see why MS should settle for meeting you and your friends at Valves doorstep... They should be trying to get you and your friends into their own ecosystem.

Yudoken

Ok, stop whining that Windows 10 isn't "free", you can easily get keys for 8.1 (which can upgrade for free to 10) for under 30$ if you're so desperate and can't even buy it for the full price.
As much as I'm against MS 10 does a lot of things right, especially giving it for free for 7 and 8.1 users which is more than enough to convince game devs and publishers to adapt to X12 so we can enjoy games with better performance on all pc's and finally fix SLI.
wtzgU.gif

Ge0force

Banned
This is really one of those cases where I can only say "that's too bad". Killer Instinct is cross-platform. You'd be joining us on Xbox if you play the PC version, as such we shouldn't need to worry about you being outside of the ecosystem either. If 50% (possibly more depending on the PC version's popularity) wish to be essentially non-contactable because they default to Steam for everything from chat to game invites, then they should probably stick to non-Xbox offerings.

I don't really care about cross-platform. Most people game on pc and/or ps4 here in Belgium, and the few people I know who also have an Xbox One use it only for exclusives. Of course I would love to play Killer Instinct, but since I don't have time to play every game that exists, I'll probably ignore it if it's not in my ecosystem of choice. I bought pvz garden warfare on day 1, but I barely played it since there never were friends online on Origin (unless for playing BF). I won't make the same mistake twice.

Synth

I don't really care about cross-platform. Most people game on pc and/or ps4 here in Belgium, and the few people I know who also have an Xbox One use it only for exclusives. Of course I would love to play Killer Instinct, but since I don't have time to play every game that exists, I'll probably ignore it if it's not in my ecosystem of choice. I bought pvz garden warfare on day 1, but I barely played it since there never were friends online on Origin (unless for playing BF). I won't make the same mistake twice.

That's fair enough. Many of us are looking forward to the PC release of the game as it being tied to one console has until now been an obstacle in the game finding its footing in the FGC. Having this community split into smaller sub-groups that can't/don't communicate with each other removes one of the biggest benefits of there even being a PC version. It's basically this, or buy an Xbox One. Doesn't sound very unreasonable at all imo.

shaowebb

Honestly, I'm a bit saddened I have to use Windows 10 for this. Switching to a new OS presents me with potential issues on multiple pieces of software that I have to be able to use for game development. I take no issue with upgrading my PC to insure good performance on a hardware level...thats just something that you do periodically and whether KI was the final symptom that it was time to upgrade or not isn't an issue.

I'm just concerned that I will face compatibility issues and new errors with any of the following due to a new OS:
  • Wacom Tablets
  • Adobe products like Photoshop, After Effects, Premier and Flash
  • Unity
  • Universal Fighting Engine
  • Maya
  • Zbrush
  • Mudbox
  • Softimage
  • 3DS Max
  • Sculptris
  • Fuse
  • Substance Designer 4
  • Bitmap 2 material

As you can see its a lot of software that has to go through compatibility updates and such and there are generally hiccups along the way in these sorts of software. I've had tablets that would suffer issues with touch sensitivity, 3d software that would have render errors, and multiple issues between Unity plugins before doing this.

I'd like KI a lot...its well worth studying and learning from as someone who is hoping to enter into fighting game markets. Its potentially good enough for me to just plain dedicate myself to as a fighter entirely. However, I can't simply risk my own stuff for a game due to the Windows 10 factor.

At this point, I may just skip the title until the Xbox One has a bit more to warrant a console investment instead over the PC port. I keep weighing the risk and I just can't afford to risk windows 10 just yet as an early adopter. I'd need to wait until my software has had time to make certain they've worked out any potential after market issues that generally tend to arise first.

Ge0force

Banned
GFWL is basically dead. The original X1 plans are dead. I get skeptism, but how can they gain your trust if your attitude is that nothing they do can ever be good?... They can't even attempt to launch a better platform without people like you complaining about having a second platform to choose from.

All of your friends are on Steam because Steam has damn near a monopoly... If another services comes along that is competitive, it's not a stretch to think you'd have friends there as well... Or make new friends while playing the exclusive games...

From a business standpoint, I don't see why MS should settle for meeting you and your friends at Valves doorstep... They should be trying to get you and your friends into their own ecosystem.

It's not that MS can't do good to me. I bought Windows 8.1 and several MS published games on Steam. I also think Steam should have more competition, but not in the form of a closed console-like ecosystem like Xbox Live. While Steam and Xbox Live have a lot in common, the policies behind it are very different. I explained that recently in another topic, I'll copy-paste the url when I'm home.

tapedeck

Steam isn't a third platform, it's a third storefront. Two platforms still: Xbox One and PC. Assuming a competently created back-end, there's no reason a Steam version of KI would not have cross-play with the Xbox One version. In fact, like I mentioned, some Steam games coming out are going to have cross-play with PS4. It's embarrassing for Microsoft if games are coming out on Steam that can cross-play with their competitors but they can't put games on the store that work within their own ecosystem
You're missing the point here man...

Call it a store front, it still costs a lot time and money to get it up and running on steam with cross play on xbone. IG is stretched insanely thin as it is, why would they bother with steam when they are completely funded by MS whose trying to launch their biggest OS in a decade?

If the game stays alive through 2016, the budget continues to increase and the bitching is loud enough they'll probably do a steam release. Until then, if you won't buy an Xbox one, don't own a PC with Win 7 or later then yes you can't play this game without a significant investment and that is a great tragedy....

Top Bottom