• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadowfall - No splash screens, no logos, no epilepsy warning. Just game.

1upmuffin

That's awesome, hope more developers follow suit.

Now Sony needs to make it so I can skip home screen right to game and it will be perfect.

shuri

Banned
Come to think of it, the last time we got games like this, it was during the nes days.. Even the snes had tons of intro screens.

Foxix Von

OMG yes!

Branching paths, experience-less mp, free maps, no auto aim and no splash screens. Did they build a time machine and plant a dev team back in the 90's to produce this? This is incredible!

Yoday

That is awesome and I hope it becomes standard. It seems quite similar to how Lucas was able to ditch opening credits for the Star Wars movies.

antitrop

Come to think of it, the last time we got games like this, it was during the nes days.. Even the snes had tons of intro screens.

What about that X-Men game on Genesis, lol? You turn on the power and BAM you're at the beginning of the first level.

Its the best thing COD does so I am glad another developer is finally doing it.

Seriously. For all the COD cloning they have been doing go boot up Battlefeild 3 and you get 30 seconds to a minute of almost seizure inducing unskippable flashing logos every single time you want to play. Its one of my least favorite things.

iKcrNoxlJysEE.gif

Shahed

Please Ubisoft and EA...

Saving 10 to 20 seconds is not a selling point. I don't care either way and gamers need to stop being impatient.

It's not major, but it makes everything so much more convenient. It's one of the main reasons I like handhelds in that I never really have to sit through any of that since I can carry on straightaway.

Anything that speeds up that process to actually start playing is a good thing, however small

VariantX

It's like we've gone back to the NES generation where the majority of games just took you to the title screen. Couldn't be happier if this becomes commonplace again.

Steroyd

Thank you GG.

I mean I'd understand it if it happened on the initial boot up, yes I get it, Rockstar made x game, this game used Havoc and Unreal Engine, but subsequent boot ups is just unnecessary.

antitrop

This makes so much fucking sense.

NO-ONE CARES that your game uses Scaleform, Bink, Autotree, what-fucking-ever.
If some dev wants that info they can see it in the credits, stop getting in the way of our games you cunts.

Precisely no-one looks at those fucking logo's and goes "oh fuck yeah! Bink!"
Actually, I see Bink on PC and it gives me the urge to uninstall before my eyes are massacred by low-resolution, pixelated pre-rendered video from consoles.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Thank our lord Cerny for this wonderful gift, now if only everyone else could do it too, I don't need to see the same 6 logos every time I start a game, at worst play them once then just disable them from then on.

Definitely one of the nice things about CoD is loading it up straight to the Multiplayer screen, no fuss, quicker I can get into a game the more time I have to play it.

dugdug

Banned
Excellent move. One of the crucial (but often overlooked) reasons why Call of Duty is so big is, because it takes a matter seconds from putting the disc in your tray, to being in a multiplayer lobby. Most games take a minute or two to load, then you get logos you can't skip, then you get to the main menu, wait a couple seconds for "press start to continue" to pop up, you pick multiplayer, it takes a few seconds to connect to multiplayer servers, then you start going through the servers. All that time, however short it really is, feels like forever compared to CoD.

GG just saying "screw it, get rid of all that shit, and play the game"? A+

AAK

The one genre above all others that need this are fighting games. Please become the gold standard.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
"Realistically, I think a lot of people can do this... It's just that the initial chunk of 7.5GB is quite big. I think if we would have known exactly how everything would work... I think next time around we'll try to see if we can design something that doesn't jeopardise the game which will make it even friendlier. But I think all things considered, this being launch and we've got like 2 minutes 44 from disc to the first level and no installs, I think it's already a massive improvement over previous generations."

Whether played from hard disc or Blu-ray, van der Leeuw is particularly proud of how fast and seamlessly the game loads; it's been a pet project for the tech director, who hates how slow modern games have become to operate. Guerrilla has completely eliminated in-game load times after an initial 30 seconds, and removed all logos and splash screens from the game's start-up routine. It may take a while to download Killzone Shadow Fall, but once you have it, the game comes to you very quickly indeed.
Out of curiosity, what takes the other 2 minutes and 14 seconds?

Jibbed

Thank our lord Cerny for this wonderful gift, now if only everyone else could do it too, I don't need to see the same 6 logos every time I start a game, at worst play them once then just disable them from then on.

Definitely one of the nice things about CoD is loading it up straight to the Multiplayer screen, no fuss, quicker I can get into a game the more time I have to play it.

Hell, just being able to skip them would be wonderful. I love being able to mash ESC on my PC and get straight to the menu.

newjeruse

Fantastic.

But honestly, an epilepsy warning serves very little purpose in credits. I know it's perfunctory and almost always unnecessary, but I'm surprised they were allowed to get away with this.

Top Bottom