• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima: Internal sales representative projected Wii U to sell 100 million Units

farisr

Still not the worst expectation. It's actually realistic within the realms of the console business. The console just wasn't a hit unfortunately.

Now MS expecting the sales from this gen to tally up to more than a billion, with the Xbox One being responsible for the vast majority of those sales. That was ridiculous.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Why did they think the customers who enjoyed the waggle stick would also enjoy holding a huge screen in their hands that took away all the kinetic enjoyment of the Wii

Briarios

I still believe the greatest failing was calling it Wii U --- people to this day think it's the Wii with a new controller

Iacobellis

They did ignore that the Wii already lost most of its mindshare by the time they finally released the Wii U, that Wii U's gimmick really wasn't anywhere near as attractive or novel as the Wiimote and that 300$ is kinda too much to ask for for a Nintendo console, especially when the comparable competitors were cheaper.

Wii U and 3DS both felt like Nintendo thought they could do no wrong after Wii and DS. Both were very flawed systems with questionable gimmicks and bad launch strategies.

Definitely. Both systems had a gimmick that developers couldn't figure out what to do with. At least the 3DS was salvageable, though. That thing was close to dead out of the gate.

ymgve

It really wouldn't have changed much. People confusing the Wii U with a Wii add-on was mostly just due to people not having been interested enough in the GamePad and games to actually take a closer look at the hardware. It was a sign of disenterest.

It didn't help that they were pretty vague during the Wii U announcement and didn't even show the console or talk about its specs, they only talked about the controller.

For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eToRfMrjbzM

I think Wii Two would have been a cute name. "We too can play" or something could have been the slogan. I just don't get the Wii U name.

vpance

Wait...

So SOMEONE at Nintendo projected 100 Million. With a dumb as a rock reasoning.

Nothing to see here.

Well he brought it up for a reason. I think it's safe to say the general sentiment there was that it would've sold a lot more.

Maxinas

"In an internal sales representative meeting, someone projected that we would sell close to 100 million Wii U systems worldwide."

Someone does not mean everyone at nintendo. Clickbait title.

tolkir

We already have a thread talking about the meeting, and we create a new thread with a clickbait title for a quote of the same meeting.

I can see the 10 pages of posts before tomorrow.

Well he brought it up for a reason. I think it's safe to say the general sentiment there was that it would've sold a lot more.

He brought up that line of thinking to explain why it was flawed and that it isn't that easy to have a super successful console. Given that this is an investor's meeting, where many people are likely unfamiliar with the game market, it seems like a reasonable thing to explain to people as to why their expectations weren't completely fair

Even with the incorrect thread title I'm sure they had high expectations for it by it keeping that Wii name while at the same time targeting the tablet market in a way I wouldn't be surprised if the plan was for it to be a Wii like success. But since op got the title wrong any discussion will be hand waved away.

I wonder what the plan and the market demographic for the nx will be

Dahell?!?
I bought the thing day 1 and even I knew that it wouldn't set the world on fire. The year up until launch was just a bunch of bad marketing decisions after the next.
a result of Nintendo's misinterpretation of the Wii's success
this, so much. Wii was revolution in how we interact with games. Wii U was reactionary seeing how tablets were becoming more and more popular. They did the same thing with the 3DS when 3D was supposed to be the next big thing. They just had the library to strong arm it to success.

Brhoom

Banned
I chuckled at the title.

I mean if it had came out before the ipad and was more powerful than the ps3 and xbox 360 and was named wii 2 then I could see it reaching that.

MisterHero

You'd think that the company would have learned its lessons after the n64 and the gc.
They did with the Wii

Cheap hardware and cheap software. They sold a shit ton of both. Unfortunately all the mindshare is on premium experiences now. Wii U wasn't cutting edge but the right library might've sold it. Outside of Nintendo's output, they didn't even have that.

They dropped the ball on value. The flash storage was a joke, NintendoLand was an extra purchase, and games increased to $60 when their most popular titles did fine at $50. 3DS's price nearly killed it out of the gate.

I really hope NX debuts with a solid, competitive library and a fair price. They don't have to compete with Sony and MS, but sharing the 3rd-parties would be a good start.

I think 'Super Wii' would've been better. Not sure if it would've sold more, but harkens back to the NES --> Super NES transition.

I mean, if they wanted to keep the Wii name anyway.

trejo

Incorrect title or not I don't think anyone at Nintendo expected the WiiU to perform quite as it did in any case.

Jubenhimer

This kond of confirms my suspicions that the Wii U really was just a cynical cash grab slapped together hoping brand recognition was enough. I really hope Nintendo has learned the right lessons with the NX. Don't bank on brand recognition and rehashes, your consumers don't want that. They want something fresh, novel and most importantly, simple and easy to use.

They did with the Wii

Cheap hardware and cheap software. They sold a shit ton of both. Unfortunately all the mindshare is on premium experiences now. Wii U wasn't cutting edge but the right library might've sold it. Outside of Nintendo's output, they didn't even have that.

They dropped the ball on value. The flash storage was a joke, NintendoLand was an extra purchase, and games increased to $60 when their most popular titles did fine at $50. 3DS's price nearly killed it out of the gate.

I really hope NX debuts with a solid, competitive library and a fair price. They don't have to compete with Sony and MS, but sharing the 3rd-parties would be a good start.

Price was a problem, but not the problem. The biggest issue was they continued target a market that no longer exists. A mistake they seem to be making with the NX, based off some of their comments.

maxwellsmart_missed_it_by_that_much.jpg

mrmickfran

Whether if it was that one person or Nintendo as a whole, that's fucking bonkers.

The Wii barely hit 100 itself, how would anyone expect an HD console with a fucking tablet controller to get anywhere near that?

Caffeine

I still believe the greatest failing was calling it Wii U --- people to this day think it's the Wii with a new controller

lots of people still think the 3ds is just another ds too.

anyway who ever projected this is insane. the day after it was announced I projected under 30m. even I was way off the mark with it only barely passing 10m the casual crowd ship sailed.

120v

i thought it'd clock in around 50 million. even though it seemed like a dud i figured, hey, it's nintendo, they know what the fuck they're doing. but yeah, it's sorta been like watching a car wreck the last four years

in retrospect nintendo should've just released a stopgap system. a "wii 2" or "wii HD"... sure, it wouldn't have sold a zillion like the original wii but it would've lured some core gamers back into the fold, and maybe some soccer moms and grandmas might feel the need to upgrade for whatever reason.

in nintendo's defense there wasn't a whole lot in the cards for a second act following the wii either way

Miles X

That company is naive as hell.

They're all as bad as each other. Sony were boneheaded with early PS3. Microsoft completely dropped the ball with XB1.

I don't understand how they think "Oh, we've got a/the userbase locked up, we can do whatever we want and it'll sell!"

It's worrying coming from such big companies with talent and successful business people.

Haha. Wont even be close. Kimishima said 58 million right now iirc. With sales slowing I doubt it ever gets to 70 mil.

I doubt even 65 going by sales lately. From 260m~ to 80m ...

Top Bottom