• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda crazy that Switch didn't get any major AAA third parties for launch........

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo, release a new F-Zero or Waverace and I'll buy your Switch.

who buys Nintendo hardware for the third party games

While I understand this sentiment, it also Nintendo's downfall, and pretty much my number 1 problem with bothering with Nintendo consoles. The software Nintendo releases is fantastic, do not get me wrong. However, how many big name console Nintendo games are released in a year? Ultimately, I'm only using the damn thing a couple times a year, unlike say my PS4, which I use quite often to play many different games.

This is why I'm holding off on getting a Switch. I can already play Zelda on the Wii U

Owning a powerful machine for the tv and a handheld is kind of my thing. Nintendo just released the best handheld ever made. And it has a contender for game of the generation at launch.

I already have a tv machine with 3rd party support.

Im in a really good place. The Switch is fucking awesome

There's absolutely nothing crazy about it. If I was making decisions at a company such as EA, I would ask if whatever game we put on the console would get a return on investment. For a new-ish game, such as Mirror's Edge: Catalyst, there's the question of whether or not the system could run it, and if it could, whether enough people would buy it to make it worth the investment (and there's also the question of whether or not the port would turn out so awful that it would tarnish the name of the franchise/the company). If I thought about making a brand new game, then the question is still whether enough people will buy it, except now many more people need to buy it because it was created from scratch.

You can try to make a case about it being a bad decision. But to say it's crazy is silly. Third party games have a poor track record on recent Nintendo consoles. And on top of that, we have no way of knowing when third parties received development kits and if it was enough time to do any worthwhile work.

Mikey Jr.

There's absolutely nothing crazy about it. If I was making decisions at a company such as EA, I would ask if whatever game we put on the console would get a return on investment. For a new-ish game, such as Mirror's Edge: Catalyst, there's the question of whether or not the system could run it, and if it could, whether enough people would buy it to make it worth the investment (and there's also the question of whether or not the port would turn out so awful that it would tarnish the name of the franchise/the company). If I thought about making a brand new game, then the question is still whether enough people will buy it, except now many more people need to buy it because it was created from scratch.

You can try to make a case about it being a bad decision. But to say it's crazy is silly. Third party games have a poor track record on recent Nintendo consoles. And on top of that, we have no way of knowing when third parties received development kits and if it was enough time to do any worthwhile work.

Nice response. Thanks.

Yeah, I guess the true test for the switch is this holiday season. We'll see what comes out for it, and what doesn't.

Honestly I think the real launch of the Switch is this holiday when they'll probably cut the price by $50. The Vita, XB1 and Wii U all dropped by $50 within their first year of release. And of course there is the $80 off the 3DS.

If the rumored Pokémon Stars is true it will then clearly is seen by the public as the portable successor as well.

I don't understand why ports are inherently bad. The Switch would be wise to embrace any and all third party ports that come their way to help fatten their guaranteed anemic third party support.

They aren't inherently bad, but the person who quoted me said PSVR launch wasn't that impressive if you have an Oculus or Vive and because of the ports, but I can use the same logic and say the Switch launch lineup isn't that impressive if I have a Wii U.

Honestly I think the real launch of the Switch is this holiday when they'll probably cut the price by $50. The Vita, XB1 and Wii U all dropped by $50 within their first year of release. And of course there is the $80 off the 3DS.

If the rumored Pokémon Stars is true it will then clearly is seen by the public as the portable successor as well.

That's how I view it a successor to the 3ds despite being called a "home console"

Forkball

I'm not debating quality of third party games. Not my argument.

I'm questioning the reasoning of third parties not showing up at all.

Well the reasoning is they bailed out when the Wii U ship was burning, and the more obvious hardware differences between the PS4/Xbone and the Switch when compared to PS360 and Wii U. I mean what games should be on the Switch now? DOOM? Hitman? FFXV? The technical limitations alone are enough to make it not worth the effort.

Switch's bread and butter will be first party games and HOPEFULLY indie titles. Virtual Console could be a draw if they don't screw it up. If the Switch does well, we could maybe, MAYBE see big third party games that are essentially ports of the PC version but locked to Low settings. MAYBE.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I don't understand why ports are inherently bad. The Switch would be wise to embrace any and all third party ports that come their way to help fatten their guaranteed anemic third party support.

More choice for the player is always good, who cares if it's on another platform?

To the original poster's point, it's highly concerning that a $400/$500 niche peripheral add-on device had a more varied line-up than a Nintendo flagship hardware launch.

Well port is not bad. More like its meaningless since I have already played it elsewhere in a better format.

And no one except insiders has played Zelda BOTW until today.

CEJames

We can at least count on Capcom and SE support throughout Switch's life.

Capcom yeah probably.

Square? I dunno man that's always a question mark with Nintendo home consoles I think.

Disregarding the "home" console part, SE released exclusive KH games & stuff like The World Ends With You for DS/3DS.

I don't know why they couldn't do at least one thing for the Wii U.

Radec

Switch has got Zelda. This alone is enough.

Even though it is one of the best game ever created, that alone isn't enough for some to buy a switch.

Some are waiting for other games even if they are available on other systems.

And besides they can still buy zelda a year from now and still get to experience it the same as launch buyers.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
All those AAA games at the WiiU's launch didn't turn into anything after the first six months

The indie lineup seems like a much stronger indication of robust support there

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
There is no new market that the Switch unlocks. People that care about established game franchises from major third party developers are already invested in other platforms or can easily buy in on those. Even if they did bother the Switch is not a technical match for the platforms they are targeting, so there are potential pain points downporting.

jdstorm

Banned
With Reguards to EA. We had this thread a while ago. It mostly boils down to. They made a somewhat petty decision months ago and are too busy to change direction now. I would be shocked to see EA support before Holiday 2018 outside of a subpar Fifa port that they are contractually obliged to release.
I created a thread about it a while ago. Its an interesting read. Even had a Frostbite dev stop by.

A more neuanced arguement would be to do with limited install base sizes. Nintendo is only launching with around 2M units this month. Thats unlikely to be enough of an installbase to get 3rd parties interested since they would be dropping prices before most consumers show up.

The time to start worrying would be if no holiday games (by publishers other then EA) are going to be there.

Edit: We Know Bethesda is bringing Skyrim, and i would expect a limited selection of big publishers releasing their highest profile IPs. How well those games sell will ultimately determine the Switch's 3rd party support going forward

Which recent major third party multiplatform games would even run on the Switch? It isn't realistic to expect ports of the big AAA games like Battlefield, Call of Duty, Mafia 3 and whatever else; the thing just isn't powerful enough to run them without a hell of a lot of extra development work, and I imagine publishers don't think there's money in it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I spent five minutes trying to understand this comparison

took me a couple secs. The only notable PSVR launch exclusive is RIGS and probably Playstation World which is a demostration-game like 1-2-Switch.

foltzie1

It's clear Nintendo asked developers to plug the Switch into the dev cycle for coming yearly games rather than port already releases titles.

Ignore Skyrim for this point.

hatchx

Banned
It's unfortunate that crap like Bomberman will end up selling because no one else stepped up. One second retail title that was decent would have done very well.

I opted not to get a 2nd game for awhile and go with indie's like fast racing rmx and snipper clips. Both are great.

Man, reading about everything going down today in terms of in-store availability is giving me flashbacks to the Wii U launch. Add to that one of Nintendo's weakest launch line-ups (though arguably one of thei best games) and, well, let's just hope they've got a good strategy going forward.

wildfire

Banned
We'll probably hear announcements for AAA at E3 but i feel Switch not getting Resident Evil 7, Prey and For Honor is a problem.

Solidsnake32292

Neo Member
What are the chances of Battlefield 1 ever making it to the Switch? As much as I absolutely love it on PS4.... I can't imagine how incredible it would be (even for a toned down 720p version) of it playing on the switch anywhere, at anytime I want online and so on.

Please EA!

jdstorm

Banned
Man, reading about everything going down today in terms of in-store availability is giving me flashbacks to the Wii U launch. Add to that one of Nintendo's weakest launch line-ups (though arguably one of thei best games) and, well, let's just hope they've got a good strategy going forward.

The stratergy seems to be a soft launch with 1 First Party title a month. Sell around 5-7M before the holiday period and then have a big blowout around the new 3D Mario

Slaythe

I mean, why would you want ultra inferior versions of PS4 games ? Useless.

The switch is pathetic hardware wise so the mandatory concessions would not be worth it.

Instead of wanting it be a portable "PS4", why don't you want it to be an HD 3ds ?

The 3ds emulator showed in many cases that a large portion of games look insanely good when run on higher resolution.

Those 3ds games wouldn't take much more development effort and costs to be made for the Switch instead.

And then we'd get a great library of 3ds like games and that don't look like pixel vomit.

The 3ds has a great library so I'd be fine with that.

r3ddvil

Eh, it was originally a Wii U game until the Wii U sucked so hard they had to rush the switch out.

It's a port.

You could say the same for Twilight Princess, but few associate the GCN with that title over the Wii. BotW will forever be linked to the Switch because it is its launch pairing.

I'm shocked anyone released anything up against Zelda in an off season, new nintendo console launcg window, tbh.

What are the chances of Battlefield 1 ever making it to the Switch? As much as I absolutely love it on PS4.... I can't imagine how incredible it would be (even for a toned down 720p version) of it playing on the switch anywhere, at anytime I want online and so on.

Please EA!

I can't tell what's real anymore.

Ryoku

Firstly, it's a Nintendo console.

Secondly, you have to realize that the console launched in March. Many third party AAA games generally launch in Q4.

dlauv

Ummm, then what?

Well, there's your install base. I expect a 3DS kind of situation in terms of sales and games available. Except the Switch will facilitate more middle-budget (AAA for Switch?), risk-taking games suited to this generation that the 3DS simply could not do in its generation due to controls and performance deficit. Making a dedicated AAA game so early would be an unreasonable gamble. The port situation is a bit weird though. Due to the alleged ease of development, I can see pared-down AAA ports being a thing, but I doubt they'd perform well.

I expect nothing other than good first party games and a few decent Japanese 3rd party exclusives for the Switch over its lifetime, so this isn't surprising at all.

PS4 and 3DS backlog is keeping me busy right now. I'll pick up Switch version 2.0 in a few years.

It was the wii u that did it. Nintendo did nothing at all to save it.

I mean. What did they do

They double downed on the idea with switch, honestly they tried to make switch do everything all their previous consoles did which is a bit desperate seeming to me

In can understand third parties this time.

Steroyd

is it crazy tho?

is it?

Yes actually, even Ubisoft couldn't be arsed and they were the second best publisher behind Nintnedo on the Wii and WiiU, with Red Steel and Zombi U at launch, yes Ubisoft farted out Just Dance on the system but that's like EA releasing a sports title iirc Ubi released Just Dance 2017 for the Wii last year and yes I typed that right... the Wii.

I also think that it being March doesn't matter, that's still 8 months away from the next holiday mad rush, so there's no reason not to dump their holiday season ports on the system.

It's unfortunate that crap like Bomberman will end up selling because no one else stepped up. One second retail title that was decent would have done very well.

I opted not to get a 2nd game for awhile and go with indie's like fast racing rmx and snipper clips. Both are great.

You watch your mouth, buddy.

Bomberman is a SAINT!

jdstorm

Banned
Yup it launched in March, and if Switch got those games, people would still say Switch has Zelda and a bunch of late ports

Plenty of games launched in or around the switch's launch window

For Honor, Resi 7, Sniper Elite, Deformers, Mass Effect Andromeda. Plus Nier and Nioh (although they may be playstation exclusives)

Ghost Recon Wildlands is also launching soon and fits the Switchs Team up Local Multiplayer selling point. We also have reason to suspect that it likely works on Switch since it Runs on the same engine as Steep (Confirmed for Switch)

Ultimately publishers are just waiting until the Switch has a larger install base and will likely jump in towards the later half of 2017 should the Switch build a large enough install base

mieumieu

The Switch is looking more like a fuse of 3DS and Vita. It has Nintendo games and all the Japanese third party good stuff except the reall high end ones like FFXV.

Which is absolutely fine by me!

prwxv3

A ton of multiplat games have released recently or are going to release soon. And the face that none of these games have switch versions Is a huge red flag.

Top Bottom