• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kitase on FFVII Remake:"You must believe me when I say it would take a lot to happen"

SheHateMe

Honestly, I gave up on the dream 7 years ago.

When the PS3 came out and the tech demo dropped, I was ready. And then...

...nothing. Not one peep, one sound, one anything.

I knew then if it didn't happen on the PS3, it wasn't going to happen.

Let it go. I have, and look at me!
Still crying at the thought of it not happening.

I really really REALLY want it. Logic be damned.

I just realized something. Considering the sheer scale and money involved in a remake, modern S-E would literally proceed it with like 5 more FFVII sequels just to reuse assets and recoup costs.

Actually, the eventual updated Fort Condor mini-game for iOS doesn't sound too bad.

valtiel

Banned
All that time spent making shitty 13 sequels could have been spent working on something like this. IIRC FF13-3 sold 400,000 in it's first week correct if I'm wrong.

valtiel

Banned
Why? Something isn't better just because it's new. Only ever making new games won't make them a better developer.

I think doing remakes at VII-IX scale can actually remind them of what made those games actually good. This would have stayed in their minds as they developed LR and XV. Those games VII, VIII, IX were the peak of Square's success.

Terra_Ex

I just realized something. Considering the sheer scale and money involved in a remake, modern S-E would literally proceed it with like 5 more FFVII sequels just to reuse assets and recoup costs.

Actually, the eventual updated Fort Condor mini-game for iOS doesn't sound too bad.

Except for the fact you'd have to buy units with real money.

All this talk does make me wonder if an FF that used prerendered HD backgrounds & models would sell comparably to the ps1 entries.I think Square, just like many of japanese devs may just be going about things the wrong way, especially looking at the White engine/crystal tools fiasco.

Honey Bunny

A fantastic opportunity for Microsoft to step in and financially incentivize the creation of an exclusive remake for the Xbox One home entertainment system.

Skilletor

Do want.

Give me the sequel to FF7 that DoC hinted at. Remake Before Crisis for 3DS or Vita.

Maybe a prequel about the first time Meteor hit?

Vinci

Danish
This game came out 17 years ago. I am guessing that the response to a remake would be far less than people anticipate, especially next to the sort of budget and effort required.

What they should consider is making games that are similar to it in ton and perhaps even setting.

TnK

I actually want to see a remake now that I think about it. Would be highly interested to see which direction it wants to take.

Valnen

I think doing remakes at VII-IX scale can actually remind them of what made those games actually good. This would have stayed in their minds as they developed LR and XV. Those games VII, VIII, IX were the peak of Square's success.

Exactly! I think forcing the company to revisit a game like this and give it a proper remake with the time, money and energy it deserves would do good for the company.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I wouldn't mind seeing a 2D de-make of this, and that's probably the only way they could re-do this with minimal resources.

hitsugi

It would take a lot for an FF7 remake, huh...

No. Take one of your existing mobile engines and half ass it as much as you can; like you did with 6.

...I'll still play it.

akaoni

Banned
If they were going to produce a remake that people would be happy with, it would've had to been done during the PS2 era for home consoles, handhelds would be the best way right now. Otherwise they're going to have to do a re-imagined remake to contain the scope of the game to a sensible budget, possibly lots of pretty smaller locales, which runs the risk of not pleasing the old audience - if they even matter of course.

Skilletor

If they were going to produce a remake that people would be happy with, it would've had to been done during the PS2 era for home consoles, handhelds would be the best way right now. Otherwise they're going to have to do a re-imagined remake to contain the scope of the game to a sensible budget, possibly lots of pretty smaller locales, which runs the risk of not pleasing the old audience - if they even matter of course.

I would be happy with an FF7 remake on the level of Type-0, personally.

sullydabricks

Neo Member
Why would it take longer to develop than a brand new game from scratch? I find it hard to believe they can't remake it in some form.

As for budget, wouldn't this game bring in a ton of cash? Surely enough to justify green-lighting it.

Just think about it. The world of ff7 is so huge compared to that of FF13. To just try to build world of that scale would take years all the different areas plus characters and animations! I would love it but I think it will take away from the charm of the game for most people IMO

Chindogg

It's time to let this dream go.

Introduce the materia system in a new game similar to how Bravely Default uses FF5's job system.

FF7 wasn't even top 3 best FFs anyways...

Cornbread78

FFVII Advent Children THE GAME

So maybe they now combine FFVII, Advent Children and Crisis Core into 1 PS4 game/story.. If they can pull that off then, it is not even a question, below would be me at first tech demo like trailer....

url

Chindogg

Nah, too many youngins revel in their first FF as something special. When you really look at it the best characters in that game weren't even the ones you actually got to spend real time with. Sephiroth's by far one of the most drab and dull antagonists ever created by Square and Cloud's pretty dull himself.

Now if Cid or Cait Sith were the main characters....

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I don't think anyone is expecting a full on 3D remake. We just want a remastered version of the same game, with updated character models and the pre-rendered backgrounds updated to be HD, as well as any additional textures. Keep everything else the same.

Skilletor

I don't think anyone is expecting a full on 3D remake. We just want a remastered version of the same game, with updated character models and the pre-rendered backgrounds updated to be HD, as well as any additional textures. Keep everything else the same.

I don't care for prerendered backgrounds. Definitely wat a full on 3D remake. lol

The question I would ask is, why does a potential remake *need* to be on the same graphical level as FF13? As much as I absolutely hated 13, it was (and still is) an absolutely gorgeous game. But it's not like fans of VII would immediately shun it if it wasn't as pretty.

I would be overjoyed if they did a remake with slightly tuned-up graphics vs a full out graphical overhaul. Make it look like a late PS2/early PS3 game. It doesn't even have to achieve the graphical fidelity of the PS3 tech demo teaser. I'm not a developer at all, so I have no clue if it's possible, but they obviously have a lot of CGI work done already with Advent Children.

I don't know...with as long as FF13 and Versus was and are still in development, I can't imagine it would take them close to a decade to do it. Just my thoughts.

Darksol

The only way I would want this is if it was a masterpiece, painstakingly recreated with love and ambition. At this point, I don't trust SE. I think it would be a corridor game without an overworld, and Cloud would be able to buy alternate outfits for $3.99.

And Lightning would somehow be in the game.

Mesoian

I don't understand why the first place they go to is remaking FF7 to be visually comparitive to FF13.

Why don't they remake FF7 to be visually comparative to Bastion? Or Brothers? Or Robot Cactus Assault?

Comet

I would have agreed 100% up to FF12, but if FF15 can't recover from 13's damage, bring on the remakes as far as I'm concerned.
Agreed. I just think of all the man hours and resources wasted on that damn FFXIII trilogy. Blaughgh

Glass Rebel

Remaking FFVII is incredibly difficult. It was a product of its time and I think it's impossible to make a remake in this day and age that will fully replicate the experience of playing it in 1997. A lot of what made FFVII what it is, like the chibi characters and their animations or the lack of voice-acting, have completely disappeared from the series. Keep it that way and people will complain. Attempt to modernize it and people will complain. It's a lose-lose situation.

Moofers

So dumb. They spend just as much on assets and development for a new game, why is it more to remake a classic? The process doesn't change. It makes no sense to me.

gatti-man

This is a sad statement imo. It means to make a game as large and grand as ff7 it is beyond the ability of square. But that's what we all want.

Top Bottom