• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Known worldwide sales of all Nintendo published titles during Fiscal Year 2016-2017

The numbers on these Wii U games for their lifetime and just this year are insane considering the utter flop the console was. Splatoon 2 is going to explode with how well the Switch will do.

Seriously, anytime anybody starts rolling out the old Nintendo tax and overpriced games bullshit, someone should literally just paste this table as a response. It's basically irrefutable evidence that their policies are completely justifiable in light of the longevity of their sales.

Justified for the consumer?

Why are people trying to defend the company here? Why should I want to pay more?

Nanashrew

Banned
The fact Splatoon took off on what was effectively a dead system says enough about its potential.

I expect 2 to EXPLODE on the Switch.

I fully expect it to. The Switch is a far more appealing product, and then there's Japan and how they favor handheld systems.

13ruce

Banned
TP HD probably is over a million bow or soon if it sells around 300k copies more in a few years time that would mean 10m total sales for TP wich would be pretty cool:) and i am sure a TP/WW HD bundle will come to Switch later maybe even MM/OoT HD based on the 3ds versions.

All Zelda games on the Switch would be sick imo:p

Why are people trying to defend the company here? Why should I want to pay more?
He's just saying there's a reason some of these games hold a high price tag. You can wait for a price drop around 10 years or so if you want. You have that right as a consumer.

Twiforce

That's corporate loyalism aka fanboyism for you. People care more about seeing their favorite "team" make more profits than what actually benefits common people like them.

Nanashrew

Banned
Personally, Nintendo should do more Nintendo Select titles. It's a good method in discounting games but also keeping the eyes on the product because Nintendo Select titles get news circulation. Also means some games will be printed again if it was more niche but performed well.

Luigi's Mansion 2 - 5.31 million

zFjzlLt.gif

Parshias7

If you don't want to pay the price, don't buy it.

You may recognize this method as how people deal with every other consumer good ever made. You're not entitled to be able to get Mario Kart for $10.

Griss

Luigi's Mansion 2 was something I would have considered very niche but NLG made an amazing game and it did 5.3m - absolutely astonishing.

For Nintendo to take them and then put them on Metroid Federation Force and get 100k* worldwide out of that... is that the worst software mistake Nintendo has made in the past decade? From 5.3m to 0.1m from the same team? And then adding in all the bad press and fan alienation on top of that? It has to be, right?

*Last I heard, don't have a source.

joecanada

That's corporate loyalism aka fanboyism for you. People care more about seeing their favorite "team" make more profits than what actually benefits common people like them.

Depends how the post is worded . Saying you understand why a company does something is not the same as cheerleading. Many here mistake the two

Amazed those Wii titles are still selling.

Luigi's Mansion 2 was something I would have considered very niche but NLG made an amazing game and it did 5.3m - absolutely astonishing.

For Nintendo to take them and then put them on Metroid Federation Force and get 100k* worldwide out of that... is that the worst software mistake Nintendo has made in the past decade? From 5.3m to 0.1m from the same team? And then adding in all the bad press and fan alienation on top of that? It has to be, right?

*Last I heard, don't have a source.

Definitely. Loved Dark Moon and was all excited to see what their next game would be and..well...:(

dalai-lama-laugh.gif

Wii Sports Resort sold 33m copies?! Now I'm curious what the top selling peripherals for consoles are. No wonder Nintendo was confident enough to make a flagship series (Zelda) require the wiimotion+

Most popular new IP in a long time. Since the PS1 era and Gran Turismo, maybe?

I think that's probably Destiny, as it's sold in the neighborhood of close to 30 million.

Thanks to everybody who cleared up on what I asked. Definitely not things I considered.

Also, yeah I wonder if Federation Force really is one of Nintendo's worst software mistakes. Still wonder how it was greenlit in the first place.

Terrell

If you don't want to pay the price, don't buy it.

You may recognize this method as how people deal with every other consumer good ever made. You're not entitled to be able to get Mario Kart for $10.
I think of it in the inverse, actually.
What does it say about the overall industry quality if games aren't seen as being worth their original asking price on the whole, to the point where genuinely good games that are worth that money are seen as some sort of industry evil?

That's why this discussion of the "Nintendo tax" or "they're doing it because they're greedy corporations" always falls apart for me, it seems to be arguing for a continuation of moving the industry in a negative direction.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Wow at those Mario Maker 3DS sales. Won't be surprised if it passes the U version eventually. Weren't many peeps baffled by its announcement? Yet Nintendo made mad bank with that port!

And people wonder why Nintendo are reluctant to
discount their software.
???

Aren't many of those older games Nintendo Selects? Meaning they've been discounted?

Who the hell has copies of Diamond and Pearl in stock?

Makes me want to check out of Targets I never go to, to see if HeartGold or Platinum is hiding there (They are not).

KtSlime

Who the hell has copies of Diamond and Pearl in stock?

Makes me want to check out of Targets I never go to, to see if HeartGold or Platinum is hiding there (They are not).

I have no idea about in the US, but new copies of the DS Pokemon games are still in Stock at Bic and Yodobashi.

NolbertoS

My local Shopper Drug Mart and London Drugs in Canada sell mostly Wii games, and barely Wii U games. Some of those Wii games are selling at $30-40 a game, so thats another reason why people would rathet buy that. I feel that all casual thought Wii U was an add on. Everybody I've talked think Switch is the succesor to the Wii. Nintendo's biggest blunder was also calling your next gen console a "Wii" something

Forkball

Pokemon Sun and Moon in four months sold almost as many copies as XY in nearly three and a half years. I was honestly skeptical if S/M could top XY considering the drop off from DP to BW and the fact that XY's "Pokemon in 3D" selling point was very appealing to newcomers, but Pokemon Go and the excellent pre-release marketing really connected.

Also New Super Mario Bros. 2 sold a million copies? That's one of the wilder entries on that list. I assumed everyone completely forgot about that game, especially considering the breadth of 3DS software since its release.

Adamator

I was actually surprised at how many Copies of Mk8 have sold to date. I thought it was a lot lower. But like 3/4ths of all Wii U owners have it.

Makes me wonder how well Deluxe will do. A lot of people already have Mario Kart 8!

???

Aren't many of those older games Nintendo Selects? Meaning they've been discounted?

Many of them are (after many years of being sold at full price).

Many of them are not.

There's a reason I used the word "reluctant", you know. Meaning, they discount software, but it's not something they do quickly.

Nintendo's favorite tree is the Evergreen.

Orayn

I had no idea some of the titles further down on the list would even be tracked. Are they still in print?

Top Bottom