• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Known worldwide sales of all Nintendo published titles during Fiscal Year 2016-2017

RyuKanSan

I was actually surprised at how many Copies of Mk8 have sold to date. I thought it was a lot lower. But like 3/4ths of all Wii U owners have it.

Makes me wonder how well Deluxe will do. A lot of people already have Mario Kart 8!

Yes but coming from 36 mil MKWii to 8 mil MK8 is a drastic drop. There's over 4x the audience they could potentially tap back in to.

Luigi's Mansion 2 was something I would have considered very niche but NLG made an amazing game and it did 5.3m - absolutely astonishing.

For Nintendo to take them and then put them on Metroid Federation Force and get 100k* worldwide out of that... is that the worst software mistake Nintendo has made in the past decade? From 5.3m to 0.1m from the same team? And then adding in all the bad press and fan alienation on top of that? It has to be, right?

*Last I heard, don't have a source.

Pretty sure it didn't even break 50K worldwide

Zalman

Many of these are the obvious evergreen titles, but the two biggest surprises this gen for me have been Luigi's Mansion 2 and Tomodachi Life.

It took Nintendo over a decade to make a sequel to Luigi's Mansion, a game that has typically been seen as a black sheep, and then it ends up selling even more than the first game. I wouldn't be surprised if Next Level Games is working on another one. And Tomodachi Life shows that Miis have transcended the Wii branding and can stand on their own as well as other Nintendo characters.

Salvadora

Who would have thought that Luigi's Mansion 2 of all games would sell > 5m copies.
Also New Super Mario Bros. 2 sold a million copies? That's one of the wilder entries on that list. I assumed everyone completely forgot about that game, especially considering the breadth of 3DS software since its release.
Due to bundling, perhaps?

The general choice is between it and a Mario Kart bundle for the 2DS.

Aldric

All things considered Nintendo did a lot of things right software wise this past generation:

-Turned Luigi's Mansion into a tier 2 franchise (5 million + copies sold)
-Created a new popular franchise with Splatoon that has the potential to become one of their heavy hitters
-Made Fire Emblem a viable series
-Gave Zelda a second youth with BotW and made it an industry leading franchise again

Now if only they could salvage Metroid...

Nintendo flagship titles sure have legs ! Also it seems New Leaf update "Welcome Amiibo" was a good decision since the game sold alsmost 1 million more copies. As a fan, I just hope this won't mean they will wait even longer for an AC Switch. Regarding NSMB2, I wonder if Super Mario Run has something to do with that "1 more million"...

Bluth54

Luigi's Mansion 2 was something I would have considered very niche but NLG made an amazing game and it did 5.3m - absolutely astonishing.

For Nintendo to take them and then put them on Metroid Federation Force and get 100k* worldwide out of that... is that the worst software mistake Nintendo has made in the past decade? From 5.3m to 0.1m from the same team? And then adding in all the bad press and fan alienation on top of that? It has to be, right?

*Last I heard, don't have a source.

Yeah Metroid Federation Force should basically be a case study for the industry on what not to do when you bring back a semi-dormant franchise.
Poor Next Level Games they deserved to work on something else.

cvxfreak

New Super Mario Bros reentered the US Amazon Top 100 when Super Mario Run hit. Not surprised to see it doing so well.

Is it also available on the Wii U eShop?

We've known it sold very well for a while now.

Man, I'm still angry they wasted both the metroid franchise and NLGs talents on Fed Force.
Such a waste. Stupid decision by Nintendo to even think it was a good idea to put that game out when we didn't have a mainline Metroid in forever.

Neff

I think of it in the inverse, actually.
What does it say about the overall industry quality if games aren't seen as being worth their original asking price on the whole, to the point where genuinely good games that are worth that money are seen as some sort of industry evil?

That's why this discussion of the "Nintendo tax" or "they're doing it because they're greedy corporations" always falls apart for me, it seems to be arguing for a continuation of moving the industry in a negative direction.

Excellent point.

jonno394

I'm amazed at not only the wii games being there, but things like NSMBU still selling 500k. Some games are lucky to seek that in their lifetime, let alone in their 4th year.

Edit - just saw NSMB2 sales for the same period. Jesus.

Caramello

Justified for the consumer?

Why are people trying to defend the company here? Why should I want to pay more?

They're making entertainment products, why are you entitled to lower prices? If anything this is better for consumers because buying at launch doesn't mean you're paying more than those that wait a month.

Metroid isn't that popular compared to their other franchises. No wonder they don't bother with it much.

All Metroid titles sold above 1M except Other M and FF which were shit and critically panned. Nintendo simply is doing a mediocre job with the franchise. It doesn't need to have Wii Sports/Mario/Pokemon numbers to sell decently or become a big IP.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
A cool 1 mil for BotW WiiU is pretty impressive. Guess a lot of people still held off on a Switch purchase.

Oersted

Justified for the consumer?

Why are people trying to defend the company here? Why should I want to pay more?

Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U, Mario Party 10, Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, Nintendo Land, Wii Sports, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario 3D World and Wii Sports Resort are Nintendo Selects.

Everything released before 2015 and not named Pokemon or being the most recent MK title is available cheaper.

Rodin

Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U, Mario Party 10, Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, Nintendo Land, Wii Sports, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario 3D World and Wii Sports Resort are Nintendo Selects.

Everything released before 2015 and not named Pokemon or being the most recent MK title is available cheaper.
Don't know about the others but AC isn't cheaper. They sell it as Welcome amiibo now and it's 40€.

Was looking for Paper Mario Color Splash and Tokyo Mirage Sessions sales, but nothing.

Incomplete list.
Yep, also curious about XCX and TP HD

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So Metroid Federation Force sank without trace? Now to wait another 6 years before they take the series out of stasis again.

jett

D-Member
Wii U software sales are really amazing, considering.

Those Wii era highs though. It's incredible they managed to squander that momentum.

Nanashrew

Banned

Also XCX http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/games/xenoblade-chronicles-x/122854

It's $30 at GameStop these days.

The thing I get from this is just how astounding it is that Nintendo has so many evergreen titles. But it does go a long way in explaining or contextualising just how it is Nintendo continues to remain so influential as a game developer. A whole generation of people can grow up having played the same catalogue of games, rather than just the peak audience from the months around launch.

Makes me wonder what'll happen if/when Wii and DS nostalgia forms the backbone of developer's gaming childhoods

TheMoon

Also of note for people flabbergasted by Nintendo wanting to stick with Wii branding and "popular on Wii" stuff during the early Wii U days. Look at these numbers and wonder no more.

Holy CRAP at Splatoon's numbers. Would not have guessed in a million years it was almost at 5 million. I would have guessed a little over a million TOPS.

Umm... where have you been all these years? Splatoon was a massive success.

TheMoon

I was actually surprised at how many Copies of Mk8 have sold to date. I thought it was a lot lower. But like 3/4ths of all Wii U owners have it.

Makes me wonder how well Deluxe will do. A lot of people already have Mario Kart 8!

Why did you think people keep making fun of Polygon pie charts to this day.^^

That's corporate loyalism aka fanboyism for you. People care more about seeing their favorite "team" make more profits than what actually benefits common people like them.

No. This:

He's just saying there's a reason some of these games hold a high price tag. You can wait for a price drop around 10 years or so if you want. You have that right as a consumer.

D.Lo

I think of it in the inverse, actually.
What does it say about the overall industry quality if games aren't seen as being worth their original asking price on the whole, to the point where genuinely good games that are worth that money are seen as some sort of industry evil?

That's why this discussion of the "Nintendo tax" or "they're doing it because they're greedy corporations" always falls apart for me, it seems to be arguing for a continuation of moving the industry in a negative direction.
Very well put. It also applies to evergreen titles on other platforms too, the bigger Call of Duty games maintained most of their retail prices for 2-3 years.

Other companies don't discount their game prices 'out of the goodness of their hearts' either, they do it because they feel it's the best way for them to make the most revenue from a game after it has been passed by as flavour of the month.

CTLance

Nice legs. Seriously, that's beyond being nice. This is on some fucked up fetish level or something. Not that I'm complaining, mind. Good to see Nintendo still has ample amounts of cash flow even after WiiU.

Those Wii game sales... amazing. :D
Makes me wonder what'll happen if/when Wii and DS nostalgia forms the backbone of developer's gaming childhoods
Ooh, I cannot wait to experience that.

They say 2D Mario games sell more than 3D Mario games.

NSMBU and 3D World are nearly equal.

I think that would be more due to the fact that NSMBU was the 4th NSMB game in 6 years, whereas SM3DW was a relatively fresh concept by comparison. NSMBU is actually a very well-designed game and I'm sure it would have sold better if the New series hadn't been run into the ground by then.

Top Bottom