• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koei Tecmo CEO implies NX is a home console; bullish on console prospects in Japan

All I need to know is, does it have Monster Hunter? If yes day one. I won't need anything else, I treated my wiiu and 3DS as a monster hunter machine.

maxcriden

If I had any talents I'd gif the "Why male models?" scene from Zoolander with the text "What is NX?".

Maybe if we ask SunhiLegend really nicely? :D

All I need to know is, does it have Monster Hunter? If yes day one. I won't need anything else, I treated my wiiu and 3DS as a monster hunter machine.

It absolutely will. Yes. I can just about guarantee this happens. Even if Capcom folded today someone would buy the rights and it would still happen.

LewieP

I'm amazed at the breadth of speculation surrounding NX that for some reason is entirely ignoring the very specific stuff Nintendo has said about NX.

Oregano

Maybe if we ask SunhiLegend really nicely? :D

It absolutely will. Yes. I can just about guarantee this happens. Even if Capcom folded today someone would buy the rights and it would still happen.

Maybe, it's a bit cheeky to ask though!

Are we just latching onto the word "machine"? Because that implies nothing. A fucking inclined plane is a "machine."

No, it's the fact he was asked home console sales in Japan and mentioned NX. He'd probably know if it wasn't a home console.

They're pretty close with K-T and K-T probably likes that money, so of course he's "bullish"

Nah, he's bullish on consoles in general. I'd say he's more confident in the PS4 but that goes without saying. Pretty much every publisher is weirdly confident the PS4 will take off in Japan like it has elsewhere.

udivision

I'm amazed at the breadth of speculation surrounding NX that for some reason is entirely ignoring the very specific stuff Nintendo has said about NX.
Nintendo is full of liars. Remember that time a year ago when Miyamoto described their first mobile game as something like Miitomo, and then they announced their first mobile game was Miitomo, despite all the speculation? Liars I say.

For those saying they don't see how anything is implied, are you just reading the OP or are you going to the link?

Interview said:
4Gamer: "Lately it seems that [home] consoles haven’t been doing too well, but is that the case?"

Erikawa: “Actually, I think that it’ll start doing much better. The PlayStation 4 has recently surpassed 2 million units in nationwide sales, and Nintendo announced a new ‘machine’ called the NX. From this point forward, I believe that each company will make clear commitments for these machines."

The console implication here is obvious. Now, will it be more than that? Probably. But no one knows for sure. This, however, along with Reggie's and Tanabe's home console comments, leads me to believe the console variant will be coming first, or at least that aspect of the machine will be at the forefront of Nintendo's pitch.

Pretty sure from all the info we have (provided by Nintendo) NX is most likely the ecosystem rather than one system. What KT describes is probably the home console part.

ngower

Official word has always been that NX is a home console (at least). It's all the fan speculation that's turned it into a portable console/handheld hybrid with a flexi screen controller, the blood of Christ, free money maker, etc.

maxcriden

Official word has always been that NX is a home console (at least). It's all the fan speculation that's turned it into a portable console/handheld hybrid with a flexi screen controller, the blood of Christ, free money maker, etc.

I hear ya, but there is decently concrete evidence indicating it is a family of handheld and console form factors.

BTW, search your name on GAF. I made a post in your honor. ;)

I heard a rumor that its going to be like a wind up torch, QoL will track the calories and you will earn NX coins, but it caps at 10 a day to annoy you

crinale

Well just by reading the original Japanese interview yes I would translate that Ko Shibusawa has confirmed that NX is (at least) the home console. However he never ruled out NX handheld version either so it really tells us nothing, like others say.

Oregano

Well just by reading the original Japanese interview yes I would translate that Ko Shibusawa has confirmed that NX is (at least) the home console. However he never ruled out NX handheld version either so it really tells us nothing, like others say.

Thanks for checking the translation. I'm not sure whether it's suspicious that no one has ruled out whether NX is a handheld as well but maybe you just wouldn't do that.

sensui-tomo

It'd be strange to bring up a portable when asked about home consoles though. The only two devices mentioned are PS4 and NX.

Koei Tecmo is one of Nintendo's closest partners too so it's not like they'll be in the dark.

if you call making a pokemon crossover and loz spinoff while never putting out any musous/strategy games/DOA/anything except samurai chronicles 3 (which was also on psv) a close partnership... KT is more with sony then nintendo, hell it didnt help that WO3 hyper was a poor port that ran worse than the vanilla original on ps3/360

Oregano

if you call making a pokemon crossover and loz spinoff while never putting out any musous/strategy games/DOA/anything except samurai chronicles 3 (which was also on psv) a close partnership... KT is more with sony then nintendo, hell it didnt help that WO3 hyper was a poor port that ran worse than the vanilla original on ps3/360

Koei Tecmo has made a Pokémon spinoff, a Zelda spinoff, a mainline Metroid game, 3 Fatal Frame games and Fatal Frame spinoff(which Nintendo owns) with Nintendo. They're definitely close enough to have details on Nintendo systems.

Pretty much every third party is closer to Sony than Nintendo. That goes without saying.

AmyS

NX is gonna be a whole new ecosystem that will encompass a handheld / portable line of hardware devices, a home console line of hardware, including those Supplemental Computing Devices for those who want the highest performance / resolution (I'm guessing) As well as other types of form factors. Not only that, but everything will likely span multiple generations going forward. Iwata said they will have to start from zero, but after that, they won't start from zero again. If I remember correctly.

What is totally unknown, is how Nintendo plans to provide a modern and complete online network, to the same level as PSN and Xbox Live. What I would hope for, is something that already exists. What company has more network centers than Microsoft (and Sony) that isn't Apple? Well, GOOGLE. I fully realize I have not put any thought into how a partnership between Nintendo and Google could work, and it most likely won't happen, it perhaps doesn't make sense. All I'm saying is Nintendo needs a worldwide network of some kind, and maybe their parnership with DeNA is only the start. I have no clue.

I think Nintendo does not need to aim strictly at either casual gamers, or hardcore gamers, but mainstream gamers and consumers, which will in turn draw people from both of the other ends of the spectrum. Getting back to where Nintendo was with their most widely successful and *sustained* platforms - Meaning the Famicom/NES, Super Famicom / SNES.

Okay guys go easy on me.

Hi guys, sorry for the bump. I saw an article today from a banned site claiming that Tatsumi Kimishima implied that Nintendo was not going to "jump to market" with the NX in an Sankei West interview. Instead of posting the banned site I'll link the interview directly: http://www.sankei.com/west/news/160103/wst1601030012-n1.html

I personally think this is significant because, depending on what he actually said, he might be implying the system will not come out in 2016, which is a quote I think a lot of people would be interested in reading. Alas, I cannot read Japanese all that well, so I was wondering if someone would be able to translate it. It may be a nothing quote, in which case I apologize.

Sorry mods if this is inappropriate. I know we don't want NX speculation threads. I debated if this was worth posting or not - certainly if it was appropriate in this thread. But I don't see anyone talking about this and thought a lot of people might be interested, provided it turns out to actually be something.

thefro

Hi guys, sorry for the bump. I saw an article today from a banned site claiming that Tatsumi Kimishima implied that Nintendo was not going to "jump to market" with the NX in an Sankei West interview. Instead of posting the banned site I'll link the interview directly: http://www.sankei.com/west/news/160103/wst1601030012-n1.html

I personally think this is significant because, depending on what he actually said, he might be implying the system will not come out in 2016, which is a quote I think a lot of people would be interested in reading. Alas, I cannot read Japanese all that well, so I was wondering if someone would be able to translate it. It may be a nothing quote, in which case I apologize.

Sorry mods if this is inappropriate. I know we don't want NX speculation threads. I debated if this was worth posting or not - certainly if it was appropriate in this thread. But I don't see anyone talking about this and thought a lot of people might be interested, provided it turns out to actually be something.

Here's the NX quote (in Japanese) from the new interview with Nintendo's CEO Tatsumi Kimishima

--開発中で今年発表する予定の新しいゲーム専用機はどんなものに

「お客さんに飛びついてもらうものでないといけない。現在のWiiUや3DSとは違う新しい経験ができるものを目指して、着々と開発をすすめている」

Can't tell what the first part is from Google/Bing Translate, but the second part is talking about the NX will offer a different experience than Wii U/3DS.

I'm shocked. Such out of left field news if true.

Oregano

Yup, that probably needs a new thread if we can get a proper translation of it.

Trying to drag 3DS and Wii U another year is probably stupid and asking for disaster.

thefro

This should be in a new thread.

It should be, but only when we get a reliable translation, since the wrong one is going to spawn a ton of bogus articles from gaming media.

From machine translation, I would lean towards the first part being more of "I don't want to reveal things to our audience yet" as opposed to "We're not going to rush to market", but I know essentially zero Japanese.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Koei Tecmo has made a Pokémon spinoff, a Zelda spinoff, a mainline Metroid game, 3 Fatal Frame games and Fatal Frame spinoff(which Nintendo owns) with Nintendo. They're definitely close enough to have details on Nintendo systems.

Pretty much every third party is closer to Sony than Nintendo. That goes without saying.

I don't think 3rd parties like tecmo koei, and possibly even Namco are closer to sony than Nintendo, they make games on sony consoles too because that's part of business and sony being the market leader right now, they are gonna get the most support, but I don't see sony letting tecmo make a game in the GoW series for instance.

Top Bottom