• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koei Tecmo CEO implies NX is a home console; bullish on console prospects in Japan

Trevelyan

Banned
I don't find this surprising. I've never thought a Wii U successor would be out o lay 4 years after the launch of the Wii U, despite its poor sales. Developing consoles takes a lot of time, and it's something you don't rush just because your current console is doing poorly - look at the dreamcast. Zelda will be U exclusive, and I'd image they have an AC this year for Wii U since that's a low cost game that could sell decently for the platform.

Peltz

I also think this should be a new thread. I mean... The worst that could happen is that a mod will close it. No harm done really.

If someone wants to make a new thread they can. Since I'm a Junior I just wanted to bring it to people's attention and get a translation. I'm still in favor of getting a translation first.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
We already saw the interview in the MC thread and it seems that the significant quote is "just" that it will be a new and different experience compared to 3ds and wii u

Alebrije

It's a console , it could have a mobile interface but since WiiU is almost dead a home console is the way to go

I also think this should be a new thread. I mean... The worst that could happen is that a mod will close it. No harm done really.

Rushing to create thread titles resulted in that infamous "FFVII remake is episodic" thread which spread like wildfire across gaming news headlines and is still believed by some people. Once bad information is out there it's extremely hard to kill.

Totally deserves a new thread once we get a human translation.

Definitely. Get a human translation by someone versed in the language, then we can talk.

Banned
Hi guys, sorry for the bump. I saw an article today from a banned site claiming that Tatsumi Kimishima implied that Nintendo was not going to "jump to market" with the NX in an Sankei West interview. Instead of posting the banned site I'll link the interview directly: http://www.sankei.com/west/news/160103/wst1601030012-n1.html

I personally think this is significant because, depending on what he actually said, he might be implying the system will not come out in 2016, which is a quote I think a lot of people would be interested in reading. Alas, I cannot read Japanese all that well, so I was wondering if someone would be able to translate it. It may be a nothing quote, in which case I apologize.

Sorry mods if this is inappropriate. I know we don't want NX speculation threads. I debated if this was worth posting or not - certainly if it was appropriate in this thread. But I don't see anyone talking about this and thought a lot of people might be interested, provided it turns out to actually be something.
Nintendo to go out of business confirmed.

Hi guys, sorry for the bump. I saw an article today from a banned site claiming that Tatsumi Kimishima implied that Nintendo was not going to "jump to market" with the NX in an Sankei West interview. Instead of posting the banned site I'll link the interview directly: http://www.sankei.com/west/news/160103/wst1601030012-n1.html

I personally think this is significant because, depending on what he actually said, he might be implying the system will not come out in 2016, which is a quote I think a lot of people would be interested in reading. Alas, I cannot read Japanese all that well, so I was wondering if someone would be able to translate it. It may be a nothing quote, in which case I apologize.

Sorry mods if this is inappropriate. I know we don't want NX speculation threads. I debated if this was worth posting or not - certainly if it was appropriate in this thread. But I don't see anyone talking about this and thought a lot of people might be interested, provided it turns out to actually be something.

First part is just saying they they need to create something that will have people eager to buy one. Nothing more and nothing less.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Rushing to create thread titles resulted in that infamous "FFVII remake is episodic" thread which spread like wildfire across gaming news headlines and is still believed by some people. Once bad information is out there it's extremely hard to kill.

Definitely. Get a human translation by someone versed in the language, then we can talk.

You are right in fact I'm still there about the episodic thing. Was it debunked?

Not saying it could still happen but it's delusional to assume that the NX was "absolutely certainly" going to launch at the end of 2016 with the best launch line-up in the world on multiple devices. Again, they don't have to the opportunity to jump ahead of Sony or Microsoft anymore so there's no point to fast track it. These things take time and it's best for them to gradually reveal their long-term plans and nail the messaging than to fast track a launch and then blow through all their major first party stuff potentially cannibalizing them. I say we're most likely to see the NX in spring of 2017.

You are right in fact I'm still there about the episodic thing. Was it debunked?

It's split into multiple parts but the term "episodic" was misleading. Too many people thought this meant it'd be like Life is Strange or a Telltale game and just be a bite-sized game. It's basically going to be more similar to the .hack games or Xenosaga. Multiple full-sized RPGs that together tell a full story.

Not saying it could still happen but it's delusional to assume that the NX was "absolutely certainly" going to launch at the end of 2016 with the best launch line-up in the world on multiple devices. Again, they don't have to the opportunity to jump ahead of Sony or Microsoft anymore so there's no point to fast track it. These things take time and it's best for them to gradually reveal their long-term plans and nail the messaging than to fast track a launch and then blow through all their major first party stuff potentially cannibalizing them. I say we're most likely to see the NX in spring of 2017.

The line of thinking was more down to the fact that with the exception of Zelda, Nintendo made a point to be very quiet about their 2016 lineup beyond Spring throughout last year, whereas in 2014 they had no problem announcing games like Starfox and Zelda which were (at the time) planned for Holiday 2015, or in 2013 they talked about late 2014 games like Hyrule Warriors, SSB4, and Bayonetta 2. The silence regarding what they have in store for holiday 2016 is what's got the speculation wheels turning.

First part is just saying they they need to create something that will have people eager to buy one. Nothing more and nothing less.

I totally don't trust google translate but I'm assuming the line dual shockers based their "not going to rush to market" article on was:

"お客さんに飛びついてもらうものでないといけない。"

Which Google translates to: "Do not intended to get jumped on the audience."

So nothing is actually being implied or?

I totally don't trust google translate but I'm assuming the line dual shockers based their "not going to rush to market" article on was:

"お客さんに飛びついてもらうものでないといけない。"

Which Google translates to: "Do not intended to get jumped on the audience."

So nothing is actually being implied or?

Literally it means something like "It needs to be something that our customers will want to jump on" or in other words, make them eager to buy, something to spark their interest, etc. etc.

The line of thinking was more down to the fact that with the exception of Zelda, Nintendo made a point to be very quiet about their 2016 lineup beyond Spring throughout last year, whereas in 2014 they had no problem announcing games like Starfox and Zelda which were (at the time) planned for Holiday 2015, or in 2013 they talked about late 2014 games like Hyrule Warriors, SSB4, and Bayonetta 2. The silence regarding what they have in store for holiday 2016 is what's got the speculation wheels turning.

I could see that but Nintendo did say they were focusing on holiday 2015 stuff for E3 and we did see a lot of new games announced just not the ones any person was expecting. I feel like if that were the case not only would we have more details by now but a launch window as well. As of right now we're still getting the vague "We'll talk about it later this year." It makes me believe that they're all they have planned for this year with the new hardware is just getting the wheel spinning. Seeing the hardware, the features, games in development, etc. and not an actual launch unless the project is smaller in scope than their past stuff. Like Ouya levels of small or something or it's only 2016 in Japan. But I have a hunch Americans and Europeans will see the NX launch Spring 2017.

Literally it means something like "It needs to be something that our customers will want to jump on" or in other words, make them eager to buy, something to spark their interest, etc. etc.
Basically don't expect a Nintendo branded PS4.

NolbertoS

To me NX will be a home and portable console and they both can run the same game, hence the synergy. I always think the NX is like the laptop, tablet synergy where you can use the tablet for anything mobile and convert it to a portable device or use it as your laptop too in a desktop setting

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
What if the hybrid talk was all nonsense and Nintendo would rather sell stuff like Smash Bros., Mario Kart, and console ports to handhelds twice to us on two different platforms and have cheaper media (discs) for high-capacity console games?

Next handheld in 2017? DS ran from 2004 to early 2011 after all, and Game Boy from 1989 until 1998 or arguably 2001, even though they were far more successful.

Not even close to implying is a console... i think XD

Or that the console form factor will launch first.

Edit: people are jumping the gun way too fast in regards to the NX.

I could see that but Nintendo did say they were focusing on holiday 2015 stuff for E3 and we did see a lot of new games announced just not the ones any person was expecting. I feel like if that were the case not only would we have more details by now but a launch window as well. As of right now we're still getting the vague "We'll talk about it later this year." It makes me believe that they're all they have planned for this year with the new hardware is just getting the wheel spinning. Seeing the hardware, the features, games in development, etc. and not an actual launch unless the project is smaller in scope than their past stuff. Like Ouya levels of small or something or it's only 2016 in Japan. But I have a hunch Americans and Europeans will see the NX launch Spring 2017.

The line going into E3 was that they would focus on "remainder of 2015 and early 2016" IIRC. They announced new games, but were careful not to announce any that were planned beyond Spring, with everything shown at the event being no later than Q1 (aside from Starfox which was delayed after the fact and is now April - barely far from that time).

There are still plenty of events for them to do a blowout on what they have beyond spring, namely the GDC in March which would be perfect time for them to drop their first details on a new console. They have to have something in store in order to be keeping secrets so close to their chest and the holiday is looking competitive. The Wii U and 3DS with their present level of sales won't be enough. It's basically just a lot of little things that all add up.

I can say though that one thing that seems fairly plausible is at least one form factor for the NX being released in at least one region in early 2017, rather than releasing both form factors everywhere this holiday. But there'll definitely be something in time for November.

maxcriden

Yup, that probably needs a new thread if we can get a proper translation of it.

Trying to drag 3DS and Wii U another year is probably stupid and asking for disaster.

I really hope that is not what they are planning. Regardless, we need to get a translation stat....

ETA: megalosaro saving the day above. よかった!!

Pokemaniac

The types of games we saw announced were all the types of stuff we see towards the end of the systems lifetime. There was also Reggie's "transition period" speech, which was basically PR speak for "we know we don't have many big announcements this year, but that's because all the exciting stuff we're working on is for hardware we're not talking about yet".

Also, Nintendo is sure to have noticed that the long delay between unveiling and release for Wii U did them no favors. It seems likely that they'll follow a similar reveal strategy to what Sony and MS did with their current gen hardware. Nintendo is certainly no stranger to making big announcements outside of E3.

maxcriden

You can see it a few posts above you. Basically, it's a non-news.

Seen and edited. Thanks man!

Rushing the NX out is asking for disaster.

I don't think it's being rushed out. I also strongly think it will be released by the end of this year. From Nintendo's various investor briefings over the past year+, it seems they have been putting time and thought into their next system(s) for quite a while and they have indicated they want to return to "Nintendo-like profits" with (from what I remember) this year's profits. Given that, I would expect a Holiday 2016 debut for the system (which all signs point to being a console and handheld available in multiple form factors).

Josh7289

Yes, that's my reading of it too. I'm not an expert, but I would translate it as something like "It must be something that our customers can easily grasp." As in, to understand or become interested in.

Then he also mentions they're aiming to make it a new experience different from Wii U and 3DS, but that's nothing new. Nintendo has been very consistent with that messaging since the NX was first announced.

Pokemaniac

What if the hybrid talk was all nonsense and Nintendo would rather sell stuff like Smash Bros., Mario Kart, and console ports to handhelds twice to us on two different platforms and have cheaper media (discs) for high-capacity console games?

Next handheld in 2017? DS ran from 2004 to early 2011 after all, and Game Boy from 1989 until 1998 or arguably 2001, even though they were far more successful.

I don't want to bother finding the exact quote right now, but Iwata basically said that Nintendo wanted their software ecosystem to become like iOS or Android.

Neoxon

Because we all know how that turned out for the Wii U & the 3DS. Nintendo is no longer capable of supporting two different gaming platforms, especially not on their own. Even Iwata mentioned that he wanted to move their software in a direction similar to iOS & Android. Also, hybrid wouldn't be the correct term for a shared platform with multiple form factors, as it would imply that it's just one handheld that you dock.

Pancake Mix

I don't want to bother finding the exact quote right now, but Iwata basically said that Nintendo wanted their software ecosystem to become like iOS or Android.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/02.html

The line is here, but it comes with a caveat that was ignored.

The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future.

We know what Nintendo is thinking, but let's see what they do. It sure doesn't sounf like they knew what they would make NX in early 2014.

Neoxon

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/02.html

The line is here, but it comes with a caveat that was ignored.
Most of us were't arguing in favor of a single hybrid system. In fact, such a hybrid was shot down by Iwata himself in the past. What we were speculating was one dedicated gaming platform with multiple form factors. This would mainly consist of console & handheld form factors with the same architecture, same OS, different power levels, & most of the same games.

Pancake Mix

Most of us were't arguing in favor of a single hybrid system. In fact, such a hybrid was shot down by Iwata himself in the past. What we were speculating was one dedicated gaming platform with multiple form factors. This would mainly consist of console & handheld form factors with the same architecture, same OS, different power levels, & most of the same games.

Okay, good. I don't think we're really disagreeing, I just don't see Nintendo wanting to lose the two different versions of Smash and handheld port cash cow. In the past, portability for the first time of SNES games on GBA and N64/PS2/Wii games on 3DS seemed to be part of the draw generations later.

I guess it could still work with later handheld iterations.

bman94

I don't think it's being rushed out. I also strongly think it will be released by the end of this year. From Nintendo's various investor briefings over the past year+, it seems they have been putting time and thought into their next system(s) for quite a while and they have indicated they want to return to "Nintendo-like profits" with (from what I remember) this year's profits. Given that, I would expect a Holiday 2016 debut for the system (which all signs point to being a console and handheld available in multiple form factors).

If NX comes out in 2016, it's most definitely being rushed. Rumors can never be used as fact but if It's true that developers just got the development kit for the NX last year, that's not a lot of time to create a quality product for a new, untested console. If it releases in 2016, third parties will just lazily port games to the NX, complain how the install base is low, and we'll just have another Wii U on our hands. After having 2 botched launches with the Wii U and 3DS, Nintendo can't afford to have another system launch with lacking software.

Oregano

I don't think 3rd parties like tecmo koei, and possibly even Namco are closer to sony than Nintendo, they make games on sony consoles too because that's part of business and sony being the market leader right now, they are gonna get the most support, but I don't see sony letting tecmo make a game in the GoW series for instance.

It's telling that Tk doesn't bother with Nintendo platforms unless Nintendo's footing the bill, just sayin'.

Rushing the NX out is asking for disaster.

A 2016 release shouldn't be a rush considering they started discussing it on 2014.

I really hope that is not what they are planning. Regardless, we need to get a translation stat....

ETA: megalosaro saving the day above. よかった!!

I just don't think that would be feasible. It'd put them in a position where they need to rely on mobile games to generate revenue and if they fail that hurts Nintendo altogether and if they succeed it hurts Nintendo's standing in the dedicated market.

Seen and edited. Thanks man!

Yeah there's a few reasons. Iwata also said they needed two years to redefine what a platform is back in 2014 and Reggie said that the N3DS was a stopgap because they need two years to prepare a new system.

Neoxon

Okay, good. I don't think we're really disagreeing, I just don't see Nintendo wanting to lose the two different versions of Smash and handheld port cash cow. In the past, portability for the first time of SNES games on GBA and N64/PS2/Wii games on 3DS seemed to be part of the draw generations later.
Not if it means that they'll be able to get more variety in games. Even with two Smashes, sacrifices had to be made to keep things working on the 3DS (see the Ice Climbers as one of many examples of this). And even then, Nintendo has to diversify their line-up in order to prove to western third parties that an audience for their games exists on Nintendo platforms. They can't do that if they're busy making multiple Mario Karts & Smash games. Plus, as mentioned before, the software droughts for the Wii U & the 3DS are proof enough that Nintendo can't support two separate platforms, anymore. Throw mobile gaming into the mix, & you have a recipe for disaster. One of the platforms has to give. And from the looks of it, Nintendo may side-step the issue by having the console & handheld share their games.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It's telling that Tk doesn't bother with Nintendo platforms unless Nintendo's footing the bill, just sayin'.

A 2016 release shouldn't be a rush considering they started discussing it on 2014.

I just don't think that would be feasible. It'd put them in a position where they need to rely on mobile games to generate revenue and if they fail that hurts Nintendo altogether and if they succeed it hurts Nintendo's standing in the dedicated market.

Yeah there's a few reasons. Iwata also said they needed two years to redefine what a platform is back in 2014 and Reggie said that the N3DS was a stopgap because they need two years to prepare a new system.

Tecmo is kinda one of the few developers that has a decent number of 3rd party games on the WiiU besides Namco and sega

Not if it means that they'll be able to get more variety in games. Even with two Smashes, sacrifices had to be made to keep things working on the 3DS (see the Ice Climbers as one of many examples of this). And even then, Nintendo has to diversify their line-up in order to prove to western third parties that an audience for their games exists on Nintendo platforms. They can't do that if they're busy making multiple Mario Karts & Smash games. Plus, as mentioned before, the software droughts for the Wii U & the 3DS are proof enough that Nintendo can't support two separate platforms, anymore. Throw mobile gaming into the mix, & you have a recipe for disaster. One of the platforms has to give. And from the looks of it, Nintendo may side-step the issue by having the console & handheld share their games.

They're doing DLC for most titles now. That stretches them even thinner, because you have chunks of development teams staying behind for post-launch content.

What we'll probably see is more remasters in the place of what used to be unique portable installments. For many franchises (3D Zelda, Donkey Kong and Xenoblade), the portable installments already ARE remasters.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

I've been wondering if the console itself won't just be a sleeker next-gen console WITH a built in hand held game reader. Basically since I can see the console playing all the hand held games, but not the other way. Especially if the NX console wants PS4/PC ports.

Top Bottom